I've been updating my business wardrobe little by little over the last few months. Last night I went into a national brand men's clothes store (rhymes with Broseph Janks) to get some trousers. We agreed on my size and the salesman went to the shelf and pulled off some samples priced at X. They didn't fit. Then he goes to the hanging-file rack of pants priced at X times 2, and miraculously they fit. They were still within my expected price range so I wasn't too concerned.

Next stop "tailoring." No tailor on site, the salesperson made some chalk marks on the legs. Then the transaction turned into buying a car (not to disparage any car salesmen here). Would I like 3 pairs for only twice as much? Do I need a sport coat or shoes? If I buy enough stuff, I can earn credit toward a gift card. Would I like the pants to have a permanent pleat? I ask "What's a permanent pleat?" They sew a strip of silicone on the inside of the pant legs so the pleats stay in place forever. Extra of course. I think the last question is whether I wanted the floor mats and undercarriage coating, but I stopped paying attention at the pleats question.

When did this become a thing, up-selling features on clothes? Or….did I choose unwisely by going into that chain store?

Don't stores employ tailors anymore? Call me a grump, but are the salespeople qualified to make tailoring measurements?

As I suggested at the top, I haven't been into a menswear shop on a regular basis in quite some time. Just wondering if this is the new standard.