Hi all,
I was given a frame that had a buckled downtube and was told that if I could fix it I could have it. I thought this might be a good learning opportunity since the DT is oval at the BB lug - so I took it. I got the old downtube out but destroyed the HT/DT lug. I bought a new lug and DT, squished the tube at the BB junction to fit the BB shell but, then found some other issues with the frame. I don't want to give up as I still think there is some learning to be extracted from the experience. I took a stamped lug I had that was intended for practice and cut the DT stub off and was preparing to do a sort of bi-laminate kind of thing but then thought I should ask around a bit whether i'm going at this the right way or not or if I'm just going to make a mess.

If I clean up the HT lug and miter the DT per the markings on the picture and then fillet braze the DT onto the lug with brass and then silver braze that to the HT, I should be ok, right? the DT is slightly larger than the DT stub was.
DTHTjunction.jpg

There are other issues with the rear of the frame so, it won't be ridden but, I do want to still see what I can do here.

Here's another one I was given. I replaced the top tube which was cracked but then found the ST appears cracked at the BB shell. It looks harmless for now so, I may build up for my son as a fixed gear to ride to school until it cracks or he grows out of it. He wants to paint it day-glo green with day-glo orange wheels. ??? It was my first use of silver (System 48) with lugs.
WP_20140706_013.jpgWP_20140706_012.jpgWP_20140706_008.jpg

thoughts, advice, ridicule?
Thanks as always!