Sorry for the downer but surprised to see my parents struggling with this as they realize they're in the "old" demographic as well. It's my dad's mom. My dad is an eternal pessimist. I've never heard him say look on the bright side; find the silver lining; or spin something positive. But everyone has told him breaking one's hip is a common but serious injury for the elderly (his mom is 95) and that things typically turn downhill fast. I was surprised when my mom shared that he didn't want to think this way, saying everyone is dismissing her and thinking the worst. My grandmother has been living alone. Probably a decade ago my grandfather died from Alzheimer's and she cared for him by herself (mostly) for 7 years - so it was a relief for her when he passed. I respect her independence. She doesn't want to live in a nursing home but wants to go out on her own terms in her own home. The last several years she's told me that people live too long, adding that she's ready to go. Her whole life in many ways is preparing for the inevitable like breaking her hip e.g. emergency contacts on the fridge, lifeline, church friends calling to check on her, paperwork etc. She'll be in a wheelchair, will require care, and will lose the independence she enjoyed. It's sad I can't imagine her having surgery at her age, but thinking more for my parents how to put their minds at ease, has anyone learned anything, gained any wisdom via a similar experience? Just hoping to pass something along to my dad mostly for I feel he's kind of lost in the dark.