I live just a few miles north of Notre Dame and South Bend. I was just listening to the 11 local news broadcast. This is a super weird story. The ND athletic director obviously believes Manti was a victim and not a participant in the hoax his girl friend died. He (the AD) cried at the press conference. He said investigators indicated their were lots of phone calls to someone + texts. All the newscasters are scratching their heads. I read the South Bend Tribune to start my day and every article in the past about him seemed to indicate he was a genuine Mormon Christian. He often references God in interviews and mentions how he prays all the time. He comes across a lot more sincere than smart. He's not attending ND because of his brains. While probably being rich with good scores is the primary reason you can get into ND, it is still a real Catholic University that promotes ethics and morality. So I'm not ready to jump on the bang wagon he wanted to falsely pull some emotional strings for a few more Heisman votes. He comes across as modest. This is just not a formula to create a big lie. It is a lot easier for me to believe he didn't catch on (plenty of evidence for that when I listen to him talk) than he tried to pull one over on everyone.