Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
Oven mitts. I prefer shorter tongs/spatula for control.
Good ideas and yes I've tried many combinations of the sort, but I prefer to cook the same way I ride; hands naked. I feel clumsy with mitts. Just a personal preference - seems the older I get the longer my list of preferences become.

TooTall,

The steak drill... Keep in mind I like them rare.

I always insist on fresh cut dry aged ribeyes, no less than 1-3/4" thick. 2" is perfect for me. I usually do my best to keep the steaks at room temp or let them reach room temp before putting them on the grill. Seasoned only with cracked pepper and a few pinches of course salt. My thought is to not cover the taste of quality meat with seasoning. I pull out the rub on the cheaper steaks.

I open the bottom vent 100% and leave the top vent unobstructed. Ignite the coals and let it come to temp. Many times I step away, have a beer or two and give it time for the needle touch the 700F mark.

I put the steaks on the grill in the most central area possible. Sometimes this is tough when you have more than 3 steaks going at one time.

As soon as I place them, I start the timer for 4 minutes and close the lid. If the flame is really raging I put the cast iron vent on top but keep it open. This cuts down the allowable free area just enough control the flame but keep the heat. Worst case, I control the air with the top vent, leaving the bottom fully open. After 4 minutes, I turn the steaks using a large spatula (rarely do I use an implement that pierces the meat) and set the clock for another 4 minutes.

After the second 4 minute 'interval', I remove the steaks and take them inside, put them on the counter AWAY FROM THE DOG and let them rest uncovered for 5-10 minutes. To me, this is the most important part (other than the dog comment). This allows the high temps to equalize and slowly 'cook' the meat. It also increases the graduation within the meat. I've found by leaving them uncovered increases the moister retained.

Hope this helps. Let me know how they turn out.

FYI - When dealing with these high temps it's VERY IMPORTANT to note the risk of flashback or backflash. The manual talks about this and it's no joke. Please heed the warnings. This damn BGE has bitten me on two occasions. Slow learner I guess.

Damn, this has made me hungry. I guess it's a stop at Whole Foods this weekend.

Cheers