Here's my experience from some old-time jewelers.

about 25+ years ago I bought myself a Rolex. Why? Because a Rolex was cool and Jackie Stewart owned a Rolex. I had it rebuilt about five years into wearing it.I sold the Rolex about the time it was ready for the second rebuild. I was not too impressed with Rolex. I mentioned this to a jeweler at a trade show. He had been in the watch business for about forty five years. I told him the Rolex story. His rely was, "You don't want a Rolex. Rolex never made a superlative movement. What you want is an Omega. They are the best watches."

A few years later I was talking to a friend of mine who had also been a jeweler for about forty five years. I also told him the Rolex story. His reply? "Oh, you don't want a Rolex! For one Rolex never made a superlative movement. if you want a good mechanical watch then you should buy an Omega." Interestingly enough I was later with my friend the jeweler at a yard sale. Among the small items on a shelf was a plastic watch box with an omega on the lid. Probably empty. I opened the box and inside was an Omega that was awarded as a retirement gift. It was almost new. The price was $10. I asked if the woman conducting the sale would take $5 for it. She was firm on $10. I pulled out all my cash. "Well, all I have is $7 will that do?" I walked away with an almost new Omega for $7, and it has worked flawlessly for the past fifteen years.

-Max