Quote Originally Posted by Lorotomas View Post
Mickey,

I was checking some of your posts in the Velocipede salon and on Frank the welder blog. I see you are building an aero tube road bike, That sounds super cool, Could you tell me more about it, the tubing, weights ETC. that sounds like a new road bike for me!!

By the way, it was great yesterday how we went through my new Darkside geometry. All this process has been excellent, I can wait to get my hands on my new frame.

Jose.
Jose-
We have tools and tubes to build all sorts of bikes with aero tubing and there are a few tt and track frames that just fell onto the list. As far as we're concerned an aero-style roadbike isn't all that difficult to build. Obviously aerotubes are a little heavier and we have to work a little harder to make them stiff but the end result, depending on tube selection, is a frame that would likely weigh in the 2.5 to 3 pound range to make it as stiff and strong as we would like. That's lighter than one of those metal Cervelos by a good margin.
Frank is working on a super-ultra awesome project frame for shits that he plans on putting a bagillion hours into. He did lots of the fabrication on the DeLoreans from Back To The Future so there is already a lot of aluminum time machine experience to work with.

You just have to remember- the frame is an incredibly small percentage of drag. A good position and some shoe covers goes a lot farther than a funny looking bike when it comes time to go against the clock.