My first pair were just sheer luck. Friend Brian, who always has something else to do, needed to stop at Nordstrom Rack on State St. and get some underwear before we rode home, northwest out of the Loop.

It's hard to pay attention to style and not see the name Persol once or twice. So I forgave Brian for making me late, because I poked around the sunglasses one by one and found my first pair, the 2943 S in Tortoise Shell. They're heavy, like in quality heavy. The lenses are actually glass I think. They're also magic, because every single human being in the universe looks amazing in them. I gave my original pair to girlfriend Liz because she looked like a badass in them.
Persol_PO2943S_24_31.jpeg

A little research taught me that the company was sold to Luxottica (like every other optical brand) but they're supposedly still made in the same plant on the same machines in Turin like they always have since 1917. The founders name was Giuseppe Ratti.

Then I got this 2nd pair, the 2966. These were amazing glasses. So jaunty and rakish. Just a touch of the cateye shape, enough to be very distinctive in my mind. Mine were actually navy blue. But I lost them. Or someone grabbed them off the counter at work. I don't know, but it was a big bummer.
Persol_PO2966S_POL_95_58.jpeg

Then I went nordstrom rack scrounging one day in the suburbs, and I found another pair of 2943s in Northbrook. Northbrook is home to a velodrome, Ferris Bueller's high school, and cycles noir.

My particular weakness is variations on the Aviator.

Morgenthal Frederics looks cool.

The Super Avenger. Handmade out of buffalo horn in Germany
SUPER_AVENGER.jpg

Keith. Keith is apparently handmade out of wood and titanium in Japan
KEITH.jpg

Anybody else with strong feelings on the subject?

Do you buy the same glass over and over or do you change it up?

Multiple pair? Sometimes I feel like some black frames could add punch now and then. Gravitas.

dish