Quote Originally Posted by vpierce View Post
Not a question, however an experience.

I recently borrowed a relative's Anvil while in Denver for a long weekend. It was a steel road frame with carbon stays, painted pearl orange, and built up with Record. I've only ridden off the peg bikes our club team rides. What a revelation. That thing felt better out of the saddle up climbs than any carbon bike I've ever ridden. Maybe it was the slightly longer cranks. At first I was a little scared to be riding such a nice bike. However by the third day I was curious to see how far I could push it by bombing down Flagstaff in Boulder. I can't believe how it felt flying down those switchbacks. The feeling of that bike was reconfirmed the next day coming down through some tight spots on High Grade.

To make a long story short, thanks for showing me what I'm missing. I'm usually of the opinion that a bike is a bike. However, four days of bliss on that bike showed me why people go custom. My only regret is that I don't have any pictures of it. And you better believe I spit-shined that baby before returning it.
Nice! Would that relative's first name be Brett? Did the bike look something like the one below? That bike was built with the Anvil tubeset and the Columbus Muscle rear end, first year for it, IIRC, that bike was built in 2002 or 2003. I know Brett has ridden the piss out of it ever since. Glad you enjoyed it!

brettsanvil.jpg