Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default YiPsan Bicycles

First off, thank you V Salon, Richard et al for setting up this segment.

I came from Hong Kong, China. Legal alien since 2002.

I learned the mechanicals of bicycles through my early teens playing with BMX and small wheeled bicycles and mostly through readings, then working at bike shops enhanced the actual experience in problem solving and situational maintenance.

My desire to build bicycles stems from an early age when my dad told me about the lug construction on a BMX frame that was displayed at a local bike shop. My dad is very mechanically inclined as he was a motorcycle mechanic during the 60’s. I was very influenced by his leanings and likings. As is the case, he named me after his favorite motorcycle chain, Renold.

I attended vocational school at 16 to learn basic engineering stuff. After 2 years, I went to the UK for my university education. Aerospace was my choice, but I did not get in, and went with manufacturing engineering knowing that there might be a career in Asia for such knowledge. I was back in HK around 91’ and started working for factories and then consultancy firms and the underground train company until 02’.

The Asia economy in 2002 was going through lots of local and international turmoil and my then girlfriend, Leigh, now wife, was offered a career in Seattle which prompted us to move to the US.

The Seattle area provided me with a very good intro into the US cycling culture and especially the variety that is available. Due to a lack of a work visa, I was stuck at home reading from the Internet and library and doing some riding around my local area. A move to a new suburb community and my legal rights to work coincide in late 02’ to start my bike repair business. It did not last long as we left the area only after a year, moving to Germantown, MD. I went to work for a local bike shop that has a strong niche in custom bikes and fitting. During this time, I attended UBI and Serotta Fit School and built a few bikes on my own. We moved again in June 06’ and this time to Fort Collins, CO. The 3 years between going to UBI and showing at NAHBS in Portland was crucial in trying different designs and honing skills to build these designs. During the fall of 07’ I decided to start YiPsan.

I have been showing at NAHBS and other regional shows since then.

My focus is a first rate fit, design for the intended use of the bike and tasteful details and finish on the bike. I like simple and elegant overall appearance, but also enjoy small features that turn a bike into a one-off. I enjoy building a variety of styles as the different demand makes me think more during each build. I work alone in my home-based garage workshop and mainly rely on hand tools. Happy times are when bikes are delivered and hearing that customers enjoy the ride.

I hope this gives a good intro to YiPsan and myself. I do not know most of you Salonistas, but am looking forward to the conversation here. Cheers,

Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles
    Last edited by YiPsan; 08-17-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles