Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
Don,

You have a few trykes posted in your website galleries; more than anyone else on here for sure. Can you talk a little bit about how you got into them? Did you have a friend in need, as I do, that got you into making the first? What do you find to the hardest part of building one?

Thanks, yo.

Tony
Hey Tony,

As I was growing up my mother was handicapped and I very closely relate to folks who have any sort of physical impairment. I was approached a few years back by a kid who had been in a car accident at the age of 16. He suffered brain damage that caused his motor skills to be affected in such a way that his balance was off. He was the one that convinced me to start offering trikes. With hours upon hours of research and the help of my friends at Longstaff in the UK, I started making trikes. I am happy to take on such projects as I know it would make such a positive impact on the lives of the folks who want to ride a bike but have the physical limitations to be able to do so.

The hardest part about building trikes is the alignment of the transmission. It has to be level, inline and in phase in order to ride properly. The folks at Longstaff have special jigs and fixtures specifically for this, so it makes it a bit tough doing one-off's without these fixtures. Its very, very time consuming going back and taking all the measurements at each step of construction.

Thanks for your question!

Hope to see you in Austin!

DW