Quote Originally Posted by Pi Guy View Post
Hi Carl,
You mentioned the importance of needing mature systems to ensuring that your bike shop could run smoothly without your supervision. As a high school math teacher I certainly understand the importance of creating systems and routines in the classroom so that things run as efficiently and effectively as possible. I also know that systems can be highly personal; what works for one style of teacher will not necessarily work for another. It is always very interesting to find out what other teachers are up to though. I was wondering if you could share what systems/routines have been the most valuable for you and/or your business? How did those systems change or not when you scaled down your production? Thanks much.

-Jason

P.S. I ask these questions as both a curious teacher and hobby framebuilder.
Wow Jason, I may have more than I can handle on that one. There are probably two system/routines that are most important to me at my current size. I developed a lot of these systems when I was managing a far greater number of customers at any one time. I wouldn't' say I've scaled them down but I probably would never have built them if I hadn't had the need. Now they are tools I feel fortunate to have and they save me a ton of time and money.

Right now the most important routine I have is my daily schedule. It exists on two levels. Loretta and I have a work-flow and cash-flow calender that has every major activity scheduled. Within that schedule I schedule my own minutia. For example on Monday I can see who I build on what days I order material etc. Then I've broken each of those days down into a personal schedule. I like to come in early and do my blog and email correspondence. Then work on frames in the afternoon and order after that. I think it's important to keep a routine and plan it out so you're not always running around responding to things, you are in control.

Secondly is customer information management. When you build a customer file there are a thousand things you have to remember and keep track of. Not just options on frames, pricing, sizing but communications, customer data and a ton of other things. You've also got to schedule everything so it flows smoothly and you aren't running around ordering things next day air because you forgot something. I have a very disciplined protocol that I call my "10 stage order process". Following that accomplishes a couple things. First is it makes sure I don't forget anything or make any mistakes, secondly it assures that all customers get the same level of service. The protocol has one level of detail that the customer interacts with and an additional level of detail that is for internal use. It's under constant development and as I learn new things or see ares for improvement I incorporate them into the system.

Hopefully that answers your question...at least a little. That's a big subject and I could end up writing a book if I had the time.