Quote Originally Posted by acotts View Post
I do agree with you.

But I hope you understand my frustration with the fact that if a tire gets rolled, then you are automatically an idiot for not being able to glue a tire. Or if you had it professionally done, then you need a new shop, etc. Its never the tires fault.

Despite a long history of tubulars coming off rims, the only reason it ever happens is because the rider is stupid. Its never anything else—ever. The notion that it may not be a perfect system is blasphemy.

And it seems like most folks here admit that they are not perfect. But many wont.

Not only that, but it opens the door for every old stodgy racer to perform a full critique of your cycling creds. It puts you on the defense.

It really gets my goat.

I guess it’s a classic tradition vs technology argument. I come from a different era. Clinchers have always been good during my cycling lifetime.

I rolled my last tubular doing warmups in a parking lot, practicing my turns. I was going about 10 mph. Tires were at 120 psi. I banged up my hip so much that it kept me off the bike for like 3 weeks. So I am bitter. I through some latex tubes in my clinchers and I am never looking back.

I would totally feel fine riding tubulars in a velodrome, in a triathlon or a time trial. Just not in a road race or crit as I feel I hit the corners way too hard for tubulars.

Im not anti-tubular. I just wont use them myself. I puts a twinge of fear in my mind that I dont need.

acotts--

hate to say it but if you rolled a tubular at 10 mph in a parking lot then, well, never mind.....

lets just say it was not caused by a defect in the tire.