Once again I've taken a role to manage a fairly large acreage that includes our trailer camp. I consider this role a real gift. Basically, this is my adult playground. We have ATVs, chainsaws, water wells and DEER!!!

That gives you the idea of what this skinny coastal bum is up to the past two years ;) Well...there is that and a metric ton of dirt roads to ride. Ooof the riding is amazing. Back to the story.

The acreage is a lovely mish-mash of warm meadows and second growth hardwoods. Our walking trails are well used but as is the case when you clear a trail you also introduce more light and open the ground for noxious seeds and vines to take hold. Maintaining that boundary is near full time work but that's not why we are talking!

We are talking because I want to find creative ways to engage our visitors and park members to get a fresh second look at the glorious forest they walk thru. Because the paths are constantly overgrown, I'm afraid that is all they focus on so I do my best to keep it clean so that everyone "sees" the forest not the rest.

I've come up with a starting point, you tell me what you think and what other low order things I can do to bring mah peeps back to nature.

I have started using large metal tree tags to mark as many trees as I can find. Tags will read something like "American Poplar / Native Species" or "Chinese Chestnut / Non-native / Castanea mollissima".

If this peeks a wee bit of interest I may create a treasure hunt where folks race to find trees. Bonus points for finding rare items and most points wins a pointless trophy.

How m' I doing?