Near me in northern Indiana, in the early morning in 2018, a school bus was stopped on a busy road with its flashing lights while waiting for an older 9 year old sister to take her 6 year old twin siblings across the road. Sadly a young mother plowed into the 3 with her car killing them and badly injuring a 4th. Somehow she didn't recognize the situation and didn't stop. She has been serving a 4 year jail sentence and was just denied early release. My question is what is an appropriate sentence for her mistake? She wasn't effected by alcohol or drugs. She immediately stopped after the accident and was cooperative with the police.

There are lots of angles to this story. The school bus no longer stops on a busy road. They awarded the mom a 3.5 million dollar settlement realizing that a bus stop on a busy road was part of the problem. The mom wants the driver to be in jail as long as possible. The driver was a young mom too so putting her in jail punishes her kids as well. What is the purpose of jail time anyway? I'm curious what others think. In letters to the editor in the South Bend Tribune afterwards were lots of argument for what was the right punishment.

Here is a link to the latest on this story: https://www.southbendtribune.com/sto...sh/8797626002/