This Friday's the deadline for submitting 2020 tax year returns if you sent in a request for an extension. So last Friday I took the day off to get my paperwork in order and on Saturday did them online using the cheapest semi-reputable place I could find - TaxSlayer.

I've now tried TurboTax, H&R Block, TaxAct, and TaxSlayer.

Compared to the others, TaxSlayer is noticeably a bit clunkier. Not in any way that was a serious impediment to my getting the job done, but a minor annoyance. It's tough to tell if it was worth it to save the ~$30-$40 I did save.

Come next year (yes, I do plan on filing on time - I've filed '19 and '20 taxes way late, even though both the Feds and the State owed me non-trivial amounts) it will be a tough call - go the cheap route, or go with the better quality product. I'll probably compromise and use either H&R Block, or maybe TaxAct. We'll see.

Bottom line (at least for people in my situation - not super-complicated, but not super-simple taxes) I've concluded that TurboTax isn't worth the premium they charge, but how far down the food chain you go really is up to you and the details of your situation. YMMV.