Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Drones

Anyone here used a drone? We just got one at work to take photos/video of completed projects, as well as use it for surveying, I'll be 'the drone guy' since I manage our website and take photos and whatnot. Anyhow, we picked the DJI Mavic Air 2, about ~$1,100 out the door w/the 'fly more' kit that comes with extra batteries and some other stuff. About half an hour of flight time per battery. 12MP still camera w/digital voodoo to bring it up to 48MP, shoots up to 8K video, over 200fps is available at lower resolutions, all sorts of 'auto pilot' features. SUPER easy to fly. If you've ever played a video game where you use two joysticks to move around it takes about 5 minutes to get the hang of it.

Since we're using it commercially I have to get a certificate from the FAA...so soon I'll (sorta kinda) be a pilot and I won't be a poser when wearing my pilots watch haha.

Anyhow, I've got a lot to learn as far as camera settings and whatnot. Looking forward to it though! K-12 schools are the bulk of our work, and it's hard to get good exterior photos from the ground since they tend to be large footprint buildings.

Studying for the exam to get the certificate.

Our office (nice new white roof) from 400ft (as high as we can legally fly it)

My hood.

The Ocmulgee River. The powerplant on the horizon is the largest coal fired plant in North America, and it's about ~18-19 miles away from the camera.

Last edited by dgaddis; 09-02-2021 at 08:31 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?