Since no one knows when our gym at work is going to reopen, I thinking of upgrading my VKR machine at home. (VKR = Vertical Knee Raise, but (humble-brag) I use it for leg raises, because vkrs got to be too easy) For folks who aren't familiar with them, they're one of the best tools for core strengthening exercises, which as we all know, help a lot on the bike.

I have a Bodysolid model that cost less than $200, and now that I've used it for quite a while I realize that it's a pretty bad design - it only has two vertical support legs, which really aren't enough, so it deflects quite a bit while in use, and most annoyingly, it squeaks like crazy as the bolted joints rug against each other. The better ones have either three, or better yet, four vertical supports.

So, I'm looking for a better one, and I'm hoping for some recommendations from you guys on brands that have impressed you. The VKR machine at my gym is a Hammer Strength (see image below) and I really like it, but it costs around $1400, and I'm not sure I want to spend quite that much. In the image it looks a bit spindly, but in person it's very well made and super-strong. (Ability to do pull-ups on it is nice, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker if it doesn't have that.)

I also have a PowerTec back extension machine at home and it's also a very good piece of equipment, so I may go with their model of the VKR.

Bottom line, I'm looking for a high-quality item for home use that maybe doesn't have to be quite as over-designed as stuff that's used and abused 24-7 in commercial gyms. Any ideas on brands you like?

TIA