Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
It's complicated, especially 'in the trenches.' I say this as someone who leans progressive on many issues (and who believes in a strong social safety net). But I work in an organization where we had a tough time getting some people to return to work because their unemployment benefits were richer than their on the job package. We pay market rates. Market rates enable many of these people to eke out a pretty meager existence. So I get that these people are making a rational economic decision, but I also get that it hamstrings companies, because I have seen it happen.
It's a nuanced issue for sure - much more than be covered here. I just hope folks can have some empathy for those who are risking their lives (due to the reality of the pandemic) to show up to a job that pays them minimum wage with no health-insurance or safety-net. These people deserve more than thoughts and prayers. As a nation, we have the money to significantly improve their lives - we simply choose not to. This isn't an indictment of you or @bigbill's individual business decisions, which I imagine are complex and difficult. This is a systemic problem, largely brought on by the R- run Senate and the current leadership [sic] in the WH.