Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
TT..now I'm jonesing for a cream cheese and green olives (with pimento) on rye sandwich. Try and slash that top before baking, as the rye in the gluten structure is most likely holding the "skin" back from opening up during expansion. You'll get those nice, dark curly q's on the crust.

How to Slash Dough - Video - Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
On it. Thanks.

Joe, I will paste the basic recipe below. Above was doubled and substituted 20% of the 00 flour for rye.
Key for me is the "letter fold" >>
Also this @ 10:24 shows how to finish the bottom of the dough ball. >>
========

No Knead Bread Recipe

3 cups (381 g) bread flour 
[I usually use 488 grams and heaping volumes of yeast and salt]

1/4 teaspoon instant yeast (most often sold as bread machine yeast - don’t use quick yeast)
1 teaspoon fine table salt (or 3/4 tablespoon kosher salt)
up to 2 cups warm water (45 seconds in microwave)

optional - 60 grams shredded cheese or ¼ cup raisins

Dutch oven or covered pot - five-quart or larger cast iron, Pyrex, ceramic, enamel...for a 450⁰ oven.

1. Mix dough: The night before, whisk dry ingredients in a big bowl. Mix water in with a large spoon until the dough just comes together. If flour remains dry, add and mix water slowly just until all flour is absorbed. It will be a shaggy, doughy mess. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let sit 12-20 hours on countertop. [I use a rubber band to secure the plastic wrap.]

2. Shape & preheat: The dough will now be wet, sticky and bubbly. With wet hands, dump the dough on a lightly floured surface. (Others suggest an oiled surface.) Flatten dough with your wet hands until it’s roughly an inch high. Fold in half. If using raisins or cheese, flatten again, and sprinkle them onto dough. Roll like a jelly roll.

Plump into a ballish shape and place onto a roughly 12” by 15” piece of parchment paper. Cover dough loosely with the plastic wrap you removed a few minutes ago.

3. Rest: Let it nap for two hours. At the 90-minute mark, put your pot and lid into the oven and preheat to 450F.

4. Bake: Your dough should have doubled in size. Remove plastic wrap. (Optional: cut a ½”-deep slit 6 inches across top.) If using cheese, sprinkle a small handful across the top of the dough.

Leaving pot in oven, drop parchment paper and dough into pot. Cover. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover, bake another 15-20 minutes or until the crust is beautifully golden and middle of loaf is 210F. Remove and let cool 2 hours on wire rack.

If not eating right away, you can re-crisp crust in 350F oven for 10 minutes.

Mostly from No Knead Bread Recipe | Steamy Kitchen. No Knead Bread Recipe is adapted from Mark Bittman of NY Times who got it from Sullivan Street Bakery.