User Tag List

Thread: Need some hand tools (mostly wrenches)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need some hand tools (mostly wrenches)

About 25 years ago I bought a large Craftsman set of SAE and Metric wrenches and sockets. Over time I've lost some wrenches, and as I was working on the Alfa on Saturday (changing the clutch master and slave cylinders) I realized that I need to replace the lost tools and widen my range of small metric combination wrenches. I'm also missing a few sockets here and there.

The question is whether I should stick with Craftsman or go with another brand. (Wikipedia says that the small Craftsman stuff I would need are now made overseas, mostly China).

I'm thinking that for the ones and twos requires to fill gaps for those I've lost I'll stick with Craftsman (I'm not totally anal, but it would be nice to see matching stuff in the toolbox drawer. Seeing a mishmash of stuff won't make me quite as happy.)

But for the sets of say, 9 combination wrenches in very small metric sizes, I'll get something generic. (read: Made in China)

However, if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced Made in USA (or other non-sweatshop location) I'll consider that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need some hand tools (mostly wrenches)

If you want to match your Craftsman it's pretty easy to find good used stuff on Ebay, I've had good luck.
    Matco is not bad for inexpensive and easy to get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has nothing to do with wrenches, but I love Estwing tools so very much. hecho in the usofa. I have a sportsman's axe that has been to heck and back a few times. I also got an Estwing Deadhead (thanks, dear!) and after hundreds of strikes on patio pavers & retaining wall bricks this spring it still looks new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After wanting a set of nice box end wrenches for years I ponied up earlier this summer to the tune of ~$450. Every time I grab one I realise it was money well spent. Gear Wrench does really good mostly Taiwan made tools. Proto is worth looking at as well. There use to be a tool source sticky in the tech section as well, not sure who/why it was taken down. Craftsmen is living off the name they built 25 years ago and is dying on the vine along with sears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

American made and not pricey, also decent quality is Allen. I have several of their wrench sets and wratchet combos as well. I put them in my travel stuff cause they aren't super expensive. I rate them as better than good, and superior to Craftsman.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also US made is Channellock for pliers and good screw drivers and Klein who makes pretty good everything..

Mostly just brainstorming for my own info. Craftsman has gone to shit, and the warranty isn't what it used to be.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

craftsman sockets have taken a nose dive in quality recently. they no longer say "USA" on them.

offshore production is not necessarily an indicator of downward quality, but in this case - it is. hold and old USA socket in hand next to a brand new one and the difference in quality is easily seen.

sad.