Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Aloha shirts

So it's this time of the year again when I plan to purchase another couple of aloha shirts. I mostly get them from the site alohashirtshop.com
    They have a nice selection of brands and run regular discounts.

My favorite shirts are cotton by quality brands such as Tori Richard.
    We're not exactly living in exotic climes here and the ease of washing / drying cotton is a big plus. No dry cleaning or hand washing rituals...

But online purchases can be tricky; I was disappointed by some brands' quality of cotton and sometimes the liveliness of the print is hard to judge by peering at the computer screen.
    Hence I tend to stick to the little that I know.

I'm looking at Maunahaole in particular but I'm sure others here can chime in and share their experiences about what brands to look for, or point me to other recommended online sources for the nicer aloha shirt experience.

Mahalo!
    . K R I S T O F . D H .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Aloha shirts

Reyn Spooner in spooner cloth , which is a poly cotton blend. Machine wash and hang dry. Although it seems counterintuitive, the blend manages sweat better and doesn't wrinkle nearly as easily as all cotton. The fabric is a bit heavier, but looks a little neater. That is my every day work uniform. Sizing is pretty accurate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple other brands to look at for cotton would be Rix and Sig Zane. Rix is a newish brand and has fun patterns, pretty modern. Sig Zane is a more boutique brand, designs are more subdued. A lot of the Tori Richard stuff is nice, you probably won't go wrong there.

Folks here really don't wear the insane super colorful stuff. That is more for tourists. Knowing where that line sits is one of the unwritten rules that you learn after being here for a while. The tommy Bahamas with the embroidered bird on the back is a non starter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it should remain stylish, not loud. I've been looking at the Spooner Kloth shirts as there are some very nice patterns there. Will give it a shot with my next order. Thanks!
    . K R I S T O F . D H .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get on the Reyn Spooner email list, you will get notified of sales and new releases. They float a number of new patterns per year. keep in mind as well with the spooner cloth shirts, they are reverse printed, so the back side of the print is the outside of the shirt, giving them a slightly faded look even when new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wore Reyn Spooner when I lived in Hawaii during the late 60s, his shirts were considered high class even then. I have one in my closet now though it doesn't fit me any longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Reyn Spooner in spooner cloth , which is a poly cotton blend. Machine wash and hang dry. Although it seems counterintuitive, the blend manages sweat better and doesn't wrinkle nearly as easily as all cotton. The fabric is a bit heavier, but looks a little neater. That is my every day work uniform. Sizing is pretty accurate.
    Cannot go wrong with Reyn spooner cloth shirts- classic, stylish, comfortable, durable, easy maintenance and appropriate wear almost anytime.