Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default urban assault footwear?

looking for recommendations on a solid, comfortable shoe that is suitable for long days in urban environments. think walking tours of NYC or Paris. walk all day type of shoe. would like something that looks acceptable with jeans or shorts, and can get by in a decent restaurant, but not out of place in a sleezy bar either. thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: urban assault footwear?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    looking for recommendations on a solid, comfortable shoe that is suitable for long days in urban environments. think walking tours of NYC or Paris. walk all day type of shoe. would like something that looks acceptable with jeans or shorts, and can get by in a decent restaurant, but not out of place in a sleezy bar either. thoughts?
    You may get hung up on the decent restaurant with my first option, though I wear them out all the time...my first vote is a pair of Nike Free 3.0. They're super comfortable and can actually look good with slim jeans or slim chinos. Shorts is a given. My second vote is a simple oxford with a crepe sole. I have a pair of the Fry James Crepe and I can wear them all day comfortably. They'd look terrible with shorts, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most comfy all-day walking/standing around shoes I've worn are made by Ecco. I think it is the Biom Grip model. I have no fashion sense so I'm not sure if they are kosher with the cool kids, but they're really comfortable. Something about the footbed that spreads and relaxes the forefoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shorts-to-nice dinner range is what's going to make this tough, I think. Personally, if I were a shorts wearing kind of guy (I'm not), I'd probably pick:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camper 1913 Oxford or ankle boot.

The leather gets softer and softer the more you wear them, and they age really nicely. Stains and scratches look great on them. And the soles are firm but shock absorbing over a day walking around on cement. Mine are so broken in I can wear them barefoot without getting blisters. I wore them all over Italy, have worn them all over Paris and of course all over NYC.
    I wear them with shorts, khakis and jeans. I've changed the laces over to some bright red ones on one pair and bright orange on another. And I try to wear them with colorful sock, though bright red socks seem to work the best.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm really on concrete all day, I need thicker soles with at least some give. Since running shoes are out, fashion-wise, you might consider Oxfords or Walkers from Limmer Boot Inc. IF you have a chance to try them on in person, or have time to do the mail-order merry-go-round.