Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Furniture - Book Shelves

I am moving. I am not sure I want to move my cheap Ikea book shelves. They have served well but I might be ready for some 'furniture' shelves. I'm downsizing my book collection and my CDs never get listened to. Some or most will go. Even good ones. They're replaceable with digital copy. They're the 8-track tapes of this generation... But I do have movies and still have some books. And some stuff I have to keep.

I'd like to get something of great quality. And something I can disassemble to move.

I don't want to take out a mortgage to buy this but I'm not afraid to spend more than Ikea money either. Quality and style.

Talk to me.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Furniture - Book Shelves

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    And something I can disassemble to move.
    I have about 1200 books at home right now, moving is always a major pain. Moving the books is already bad enough, moving the shelves is even more annoying. My advice, buy the cheap ($30 or so) shelves at Target. They hold up quite well (even for heavy hardback editions), and you can throw them away when you move. Wasteful I know, but after moving books across countries several times it's by far the most practical solution, even if you're just moving around the block (which was my last move).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said stylish so Metro shelving is out but it is high quality, portable and can hold something like two hundred pounds per shelf.
    ses084.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with Metro shelving is that it is rather heavy. Easiest thing is to just buy more Ikea shelves for the new place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanb View Post
    Problem with Metro shelving is that it is rather heavy. Easiest thing is to just buy more Ikea shelves for the new place.

I'll probably keep the ones I've got. I tried to give them to a buddy and he didn't want them!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Ikea shelves do you have? I've gone through the same thing with my records. I have the Expidet (or some such name - its the cubby hole like one that looks like it was made to hold records, but wasn't) and found that reinforcing the back with a thin strip of wood across the entire unit has added much needed structural integrety. Bonus feature, I can no longer push the records out the back of the shelf. One day, if I ever settle, I'd like to build my own shelves. Until then the Ikea have served me well, surviving two moves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanb View Post
    Heavy to whom? Nairo Quintano? The setup above may weigh about sixty five pounds and after one adds wood planks in order to keep books unmarred you're looking at maybe seventy five. All at a price that is one fiftieth the price of that bad ass Moser bookcase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you get wherever you are going, look for a custom wood worker. Someone who builds bookshelves like people here build bikes. You may be surprised at how similar their prices are to production stuff - again, same as custom vs. production with bikes. Nothing beats handmade.

If you move to Virginia Beach, I can probably dig up some candidates. Minneapolis seems like a place that should be crawling with woodworkers. You want that guy whose garage lights don't go off until late at night.