User Tag List

Thread: Luggage for Business Overnights--What are you carrying?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Luggage for Business Overnights--What are you carrying?

So, my work (creative freelancer/mktg consultant) has entailed more travel lately, including more overnights in order to be ready for meetings 1st thing the next morning.

I have a garment bag that I've been traveling with, but I feel like it's a bit overkill/wrong purpose for what I really need. Plus it's old. I generally don't wear a suit (occasionally do); usually nice pants, dress shirt, sometimes a blazer.

I need a bag that:
    - is carryon size
    - fits a suit in a pinch
    - holds 2 nights' worth of clothes, a pair of shoes
    - looks presentable to bring into client offices with me
    - doesn't cost crazy $$

Is Tumi worth the money? Other than Tumi, what brands are you all using? Wheeled? 4 wheel or 2?

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Luggage for Business Overnights--What are you carrying?

Briggs & Reilly.

The only choice for my money. Lifetime guarantee, if it gets damaged or ripped or torn they fix at their cost. Authorized repair depots all over the place.

My most used one is about 7 years old. Looks brand new, no marks, scratches, etc.

Great luggage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Briggs and Riley is good stuff, as is Tom Bihn, and Red Oxx. Personally for me, for trips lass than a week, I use a Filson 243 Pullman case and a 257 laptop bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the first decade of biz travel I stopped buying the travel pro/tumi stuff. Cost too damn much and gets tore up quick. So now half way through the second decade, find I can find nice luggage at Marshall's/TJMaxx at pennies on the dollar. No one steals it, it's colored, and when it's ragged out....I toss it in the bin.

Rinse, repeat....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to go against everything I think about manhood and style here: Get rolling luggage.
    And for short trips, get something with a hard shell, and at least an inch or so wider than your jacket's shoulders.

Also, I linked some videos in the "aleternative to dry cleaning" thread on how to pack a suitcase. Not exactly edge-of-your-seat viewing, but it'll save you a lot of time and hassle in the long run.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks--will look. I'm 6'6" and wear a 46-48XL suit/jacket, so it's always a compromise putting things in a garment bag anyway. I've gotten pretty adept at using the dry cleaner bags to reduce friction since inevitably SOMETHING ends up folded/crunched a bit.

Good thing I'm going for more of the 'rumpled professor' look than anything more polished... ; )

Agreed on the wheels; basically, I have my briefcase, which for now is a Filson field bag I carry over my shoulder, so rolling for the carry-on makes sense.

Any particular brand of hard shell you like?

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is right, there is no other luggage guarantee that holds a candle to B&R. They are nearly the only company I know that takes the fact that you have something as proof that you own it. No receipts or paperwork necessary, any damage at all, bring it to anyplace that sells it and they will make it right. I have an expanding roller that would work, but they also have a soft bag with hidden backpack straps (they are hidden by a zip in panal) that is good for short trips.

Here

Exchange 26 Duffle Bag, BD126X, BRX | Briggs & Riley Official Site

Expensive, but sometimes goes on sale at STP. Really this stuff is lifetime luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes View Post
    Briggs & Reilly.

The only choice for my money. Lifetime guarantee, if it gets damaged or ripped or torn they fix at their cost. Authorized repair depots all over the place.

My most used one is about 7 years old. Looks brand new, no marks, scratches, etc.

Great luggage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife is an international woman of action. She's gone at least a couple weeks every month. We have about 10 different suitcases of varying sizes. Tumi is hands down the best. Hers has been beaten to hell, and it still looks good. It is their small carry-on expandable rolling suitcase. She recommends the rolling suitcase, because travel is hard and you only have one spinal cord. Nothing worse than heading to a meeting and torquing your back while slinging a weighty shoulder bag. Plus the Tumi has a really nice suit immobilizer in it, and her suits stay in fine condition.

Briggs & Riley is a close second, but they really shine on their 27" suitcase with the external handle. Means the inside is totally flat, so you can pack 10+ days of clothes completely flat and (usually) wrinkle free.

I use a Patagonia MLC and BaileyWorks largest Whalemouth, but I am a glutton for punishment.

My sister-in-law uses a Rimowa bag. Spendy but she's had it for 10 years and it is still shiny.