Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Im stuck in the early 90's punk scene

When I was 11, my brother gave me Fugazi repeater. I hated it. Now 19 years later I cannot stop listening to it.

Since then, my playlist has been stuck on a mix of nothing but Fugazi and Op Ivy.

It was just one of those amazing runs of good music, that only lasted a few years but produced so much good stuff.

...kinda like Limp Bizkit.

I was too young to see any of these bands, but man do they get to me right down to the bone.

we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Im stuck in the early 90's punk scene

man, I just realized that I am talking about playlists...wtf!?

I never claimed to be cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love Fugazi, Ian Mackaye and Minor Threat- sound track to my 80's. Along with anything Two Tone/Ska. I saw them play in boston, nyc and portalnd maine.

Picture- straight edge "x"'s,5 dollar hard core matines at CBGB's (I used someones elses ID to get in before I turned 16), ox blood DM's polished, Fresh Fred Perry shirt, braces (not the ones in your mouth), the Toasters playing SOB's, Bad Brains playing at the Ritz (that place was amazing), Murphys Law and the Village Voice was the internet of local NYC music scene.

What I admired most about Fugazi is that Ian never sold out- he got offeres from beer companies to sponsor tours etc and flat out he said no. Like the Clash (my hereos and spiritual leaders), they never cared about the trappings of success- which in this age of consumption is a pretty major statement.
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    — Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fugazi is cataloging every single live recording and making it a free download. Going to take some time, but its going to be nice.

I too was too young for a lot of that when it was current or just wasn't into it when it was on its way out. Either way - its treating me right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My best friend here in DC went to school with all those dudes from Fugazi/Minor Threat and his older sister was at Berkeley (sp? there are more "e"s than expected. I just dont know where, lol) They were all a few years older...but he was a pain in the ass at 14, so he went to all those shows. My buds sister said that Op Ivy would play in her dorm common room all the time.

She said bands played there all the time. She saw NoFX, Bad Brains...pretty much the whole scene went through her dorm between 87-91. That said, she knew form day one the folks from Op Ivy were a cut above. My bud still has the bootleg cassette she sent him from her Frosh year. You can barely hear anything. But she knew it was worth sending home.

She must have gotten the same feeling I get when I hear a Nickleback song.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warning!!!!

There is a link being sent around via email that will take you to a site that has free downloads of the new Nickelback album. Do Not Click This Link! It will take you to a site that has downloads of the new Nickelback album.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelinpol View Post
    Warning!!!!

There is a link being sent around via email that will take you to a site that has free downloads of the new Nickelback album. Do Not Click This Link! It will take you to a site that has downloads of the new Nickelback album.
    That's F'ing funny.
    --VeloRyan--

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love that Waiting Room video. So much energy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive been digging a lot of NoFX too. 2 Heebs and a Bean as well as Punk in Drublic. Whats strange is that the current pop-punk sound is really modeled after NoFX, but with all the edges polished off.

Plus I think their lyrics are hilarious. I just wish it were more serious sometimes.

...like Creed. Those doods got deep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No shit!! i get into my wifes car to drive into town this morning, and by god repeater was in the CD player. I dont know where she found it, but ohh dear that was a beautiful album. I have seen them several times, the last being in DC with pinhead gunpowder.. Music will never be as it was.. Although i sincerely think you should re-address the limp bizkit comment..,, yea, call me a hater

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude dont hate on Limp Bizkit, they are one of the most influential bands of the early 2000's....just between Insane Clown Posse and James Blunt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of the awesomeness that is ICP and Limp Bizkit...I always liked these dudes:

They came back to do one single show here in D.C. I wanted to go, but I figured it was more for the 40-50 y/os to relive their glory days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nofx sucks and Fugazi isn't "punk rock." I've got nothing to contribute that hasn't been said better somewhere else about Fugazi. Favorite band ever and it shows how clueless you are by lumping them in with the fat fuck s&m maniac coke heads of fat mike and crew.

Also; Fugazi toured extensively through 2001/2002 so unless you're under 22 or so you weren't too young, you were just too lame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PJN View Post
    Nofx sucks and Fugazi isn't "punk rock." I've got nothing to contribute that hasn't been said better somewhere else about Fugazi. Favorite band ever and it shows how clueless you are by lumping them in with the fat fuck s&m maniac coke heads of fat mike and crew.

Also; Fugazi toured extensively through 2001/2002 so unless you're under 22 or so you weren't too young, you were just too lame.
    Just so I don't look like a dick at the next show, can you outline precisely everything that a punk should listen to, wear and how they should live their life.

After all it's not about listening to/doing/wearing what you like, it's about subscribing to someone else's view of what it is/is not.

I love that I can consult a style guide for punk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Coldplay, you were so much cooler when you were underground.

Plus, I try not to see concerts where the lead singer is older than 27. Except for Sugar Ray, those guys are timeless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Punk rock ended on 1/14/78. Everything I didn't love when I was 22 sucks, and you guys do too.

Right PJN?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Punk rock ended on 1/14/78.
    Uh-Huh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bounced for Fugazi a few times in the early 90's. Does that get me enough punk points PJN? :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rphetteplace View Post
    I bounced for Fugazi a few times in the early 90's. Does that get me enough punk points PJN? :)
    I couldn't tell you. I wear sweaters and work for the war pigs.

Have any of you duds seen the Fugazi documentary? Those guys HATED the label of "punk rock" and everything it stood for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't tell you. I wear sweaters and work for the war pigs.

Have any of you duds seen the Fugazi documentary? Those guys HATED the label of "punk rock" and everything it stood for.
    Is it that the movie "Instrument"? Cause that is almost unwatchable. Its two hours of boring droning feedback segments. Between interviews and feedback scenes they would play quiet interludes of their good songs.. but only for like 10 seconds each.

They tried to be too artsy.

-Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast