User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: belt sanders atmo -

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default belt sanders atmo -

i need to retool and can't find the equal to what i tossed when we left
    episcoville. i had a dayton (granger) table top belt sander that used
    1" X 42" belts, had 3 pulleys (rather than 2 contact points), and a
    1/3hp motor iirc. all the units i see now have extra side disc grinders
    or sanders on the left side, or have the belts roll over just 2 pulleys.
    i shouldn't have dumpstered so many tools.

what are you all using?

hey - thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would never regret spending the money to buy a wilton square wheel - i've used them in the past - but i just use a crappy chinese sander now
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “Maybe chairs shouldn’t be comfortable. At some point, you want your guests to leave.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been eyeing this one. I think it's made in the USA.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=76994595

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Wilton takes 1x42, but has a added disc. Not sure if it's close to what you want.
    http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-4002-belt-disc-sander.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    This Wilton takes 1x42, but has a added disc. Not sure if it's close to what you want.
    http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-4002-belt-disc-sander.aspx
    yeah - they all seem to have the extra sander disc on one side or the other.
    i never used those and my old unit was the belt part only. i may have to cave
    and get one of the newer rigs atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Delta that runs a 1" x 42" belt and an 8" disc and the thing is bomber, heavy and pretty darn quiet.

I've been using daily for the past 7 years and it's yet to give me a single issue.

Highly recommended.

Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    I have a Delta that runs a 1" x 42" belt and an 8" disc and the thing is bomber, heavy and pretty darn quiet.

I've been using daily for the past 7 years and it's yet to give me a single issue.

Highly recommended.

Dave

got a serial number or similar atmo?
    thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: belt sanders atmo -

I'm looking at this one

H8192 1" X 8" Belt/Disc Sander

I feel like such a n00b looking at such a low-end piece, but it'll do what I need it to do, and I am a n00b.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the process of getting a belt sander for my shop too. When I worked at Strong, Carl had two of the Delta's that Dave provided a link for (Model SA180). One had a medium grit 3M belt, and one had a 80 grit sanding belt. Carl got his at the local ACE for $110 a piece. I wish I wouldn't have waited to buy mine, because Delta discontinued the tool.

I'm almost 100% positive that the Grizzly linked above is a green painted Delta unit. It's 150 bucks plus shipping now (~$200), which chaps me.

The Wilton sanders have been rebranded JET. Enco and MSC sell them. They look nice, I think that's what I'm going with. I like the three wheel models over the 2 wheel like the Kalamazoo.

Another thing to watch for on the cheaper models is odd belt lengths. Some use belts that are hard to find in the 3M flavor.

What did you end up getting e-richie?
    Erik Rolf
    Ketchum, ID
    Visit the website @ http://www.alliancebicycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alliance Bicycles View Post

i got this and it's just okay atmo -
    Wilton 4002 Belt Sander - Disc Sander

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the process of getting a belt sander for my shop too. When I worked at Strong, Carl had two of the Delta's that Dave provided a link for (Model SA180). One had a medium grit 3M belt, and one had a 80 grit sanding belt. Carl got his at the local ACE for $110 a piece. I wish I wouldn't have waited to buy mine, because Delta discontinued the tool.

I'm almost 100% positive that the Grizzle linked above is a green painted Delta unit. It's 150 bucks plus shipping now (~$200), which chaps me.

The Wilton sanders have been rebranded JET. Enco and MSC sell them. They look nice, I think that's what I'm going with. I like the three wheel models over the 2 wheel like the Kalamazoo.

Another thing to watch for on the cheaper models is odd belt lengths. Some use belts that are hard to find in the 3M flavor.

I have ever used a 3 wheel machine. I was born and raised as a framebuilder on Toby's 2 wheel Kalamazoo style. When I first setup my shop I bought a Ryobi from Home Depot. Its a POS and I'm now fulfilling the back end of "buy cheap buy twice". To me the more important feature is to have a section of the belt without a hard support. Why is 3 > 2 here?
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the preference with the 3 wheel vs 2 wheel? I have an inherited(literally) Delta that works well enough but I don't really know the difference.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 11-01-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that the 3 is better than the 2, I'm just getting sentimental over the Delta unit :).

One thing I do know about the Delta 3 wheeler is that it's fairly compact (height wise) has a long belt (so they last longer) and you don't have to bolt them down to the bench.

The Delta/Grizzly has an unsupported section, which I agree is key for 3M'ing tubes. I don't know about the other three wheel units.

I've been trying to narrow down the options for 2 weeks. I just have to pick something and get it over with. My familiarity is what draws me to the 3 wheel over the 2. Hell, the Kalamazoo has some votes maybe I will go that route?

Hey Richie, why the half-way love on the Wilton? Should I scratch it off my list?
    Erik Rolf
    Ketchum, ID

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Richie, why the half-way love on the Wilton? Should I scratch it off my list?
    i had an older grainger unit w 3 pulleys (exposed) and the belt are that opposed you as you faced it was a usable area, as was the rear pulley. it may not be for the faint (feint ?) of heart, but i showed that fucker who's boss on a daily basis. the smaller wheel on the far side was good for radius-ing lugs and shit atmo. sadly, when we moved, i chucked it only because the motor was dying. i haven't found the same setup since i got back to work and needed retooling. all units now have these stupid safety hoods and side sanders that i never use at-fickung-all atmo.

but, hey - thanks for asking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    i had an older grainger unit w 3 pulleys (exposed) and the belt are that opposed you as you faced it was a usable area, as was the rear pulley. it may not be for the faint (feint ?) of heart, but i showed that fucker who's boss on a daily basis. the smaller wheel on the far side was good for radius-ing lugs and shit atmo. sadly, when we moved, i chucked it only because the motor was dying. i haven't found the same setup since i got back to work and needed retooling. all units now have these stupid safety hoods and side sanders that i never use at-fickung-all atmo.

but, hey - thanks for asking.
    Don't buy one with a disc sander. Kalamazoo is made right here in the USA too & reasonably priced. The KMG's that DaveB posted are pretty trick. I have a big Wilton square like this that I love Wilton Square Wheel Belt Grinder, Model# 4103 | Belt Grinders | Northern Tool + Equipment.
    (note that I paid way less than 1/2 that on sale from MSC) It's totally adjustable by rotating the platen and other wheel size are available.

I also have a combo belt sander/grinder that is much like this one (this one is a Kalamazoo & also made in the USA) and you can rotate the belt around to stand vertical or horizontal (or any place in between). Mine is more of a homemade kluge using a buffer motor to power the belt sander and I keep either a 3M or wire wheel on the other side. Very handy.
    Amazon.com: Made in USA 2SK7 1/2hp Grinder W/Sander Kalamazoo Combination: Home Improvement: Reviews, Prices & more

"It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll find some old pics of my departed grainger and show you what i miss atmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    Don't buy one with a disc sander. <cut>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just picked this Kalamazoo up from Enco. Its nice to have one with a 2" belt so both ears can be deburred at the same time.
    Last edited by anthonymaietta; 11-03-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    I just picked this Kalamazoo up from Enco. Its nice to have one with a 2" belt so both ears can be deburred at the same time.
    Hey that's what I'm getting too. I liked the two inch width as well.

Enco is selling the kalamazoo stuff for less than MSC. They also have free shipping this month, use code FSCNOV in the checkout.
    Erik Rolf
    Ketchum, ID

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey that's what I'm getting too. I liked the two inch width as well.

Enco is selling the kalamazoo stuff for less than MSC. They also have free shipping this month, use code FSCNOV in the checkout.
    MSC always ships everything for free to me.

Don't hate me just because I'm pretty.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They also have free shipping this month, use code FSCNOV in the checkout.
    In case people did not notice that code is rather easy to crack. Whenever you order it is FSC (free shipping code) followed by the month you are ordering (NOV, DEC, JAN, MAR, Etc, Etc) Usually only a $25 minimum and only one code can be used at a time. If there is a high ticket item sometimes the 30% off can be worth more.
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast