Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Swimming for skinny pr!ck$

I've been a recreational swimming all my life meaning I don't drown and spend as much time as I want almost drowning.

Enough, I've thrown in the towel and hired a swimming coach. For skinny pr!ck$ like me it seems especially frustrating to swim.

Man is this a blast to have a high caliber Collegiate coach run me thru the ringer. No mercy.

Still in board shorts ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Swimming for skinny pr!ck$

I'd consider Michael Phelps a pretty skinny dude. He does alright in the pool.

I refuse to revisit my adolescent competitive swimming days because I know my wife will swim (butterfly) circles around me. I can only take so much humility. It's fun watching my 4 year old chase his older cousins across the pool though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My breathing is terrible. Getting confidence in my ability to swim continuously AND breath deeply is a revelation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man up and get a banana hammock! It's the swimming equivalent of a steel frame.

You don't need much upper body brawn to be a decent and graceful swimmer. If you're constantly struggling, ie. pushing water every which way but backwards, it's going to suck. Improving your technique is all about finding the mental imagery that works for you. See how many your coach can rattle off... rotating skewer, railroad tracks, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Man up and get a banana hammock! It's the swimming equivalent of a steel frame.

You don't need much upper body brawn to be a decent and graceful swimmer. If you're constantly struggling, ie. pushing water every which way but backwards, it's going to suck. Improving your technique is all about finding the mental imagery that works for you. See how many your coach can rattle off... rotating skewer, railroad tracks, etc.
    We are doing "zipper" aka "shark fin" and no hands rolling breathing exercises which I hate.

I get it that being skinny is not the problem, that was my old excuse ;)

My brother wants me to use fins and gawd knows to make this more interesting but I'm more of the mind to learn this like g-d intended banana strap not withstanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, say hello to my old friend - the black line on the bottom of the pool.
    How I've missed him so....many, many laps together, hot summer days, winter evenings....two-a-days...long swims on the chlorinated beach!
    Heaven! :-)

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dabbled with swimming years ago because, wait for it, I had a girlfriend that liked triathlons. I went with her sometimes to do some laps and even entered a couple events to go along for the ride.

Swimmig is fvcking hard.

I'm a pretty athletic dude and swimming is one of the few sports that I've been unable to hold my own. Breathing is the thing that I had such a problem with. Try an open water race. getting kicked in the face, swam over the top of (literally), mixed with an anaerobic effort and the inability to breathe. Panic leads to more panic, leads to doggie paddle. Eff that.

A good coach would be worth their weight in gold for swimming in particular, I think, because there is a lot of technique involved that most mortals cant begin to comprehend let alone practice.
    Bill Showers