Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cutting boards: utility vs beauty

I have a wonderful piece of teak and a full-sized butcher block (not "installed" yet). The teak was a "moving out" gift from Mom about a hundred years ago. (pic to be added). The butcher block is even older-i'm making extensions for the legs and planing the top a bit...just difficult dealing with the mass.

And i've been looking at restaurant supply boards for something larger.

THEN some damn thread about cheapass razors led me to the reenactor shaving path---which led to:

and it's hand made and all...i guess i'll do some woodworking one of these days. if i had tt's money i'd done got me on the order for that one.

my second-fave cutting board was seen at a friends house--a simple "slice" from an osage orange (bodock). endgrain rulz.

whatchallgot/want?

the oak/walnut jobbie (145): Badger & Blade - B&B LE Handmade End Grain Cutting Board Group Buy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cutting boards: utility vs beauty

Got my wife one of these from Vermont Butcher Block a couple years back.
    20" x 20" and I think 2" high. Endgrain, with her name burned into 1 corner.

lg_maple_bb1_large.jpeg
    Vermont Butcher Block

The company was recommended by someone on the Vsalon, and was a great suggestion.
    David was easy to work with, and we've gone back to them for wedding gifts for a few people since.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    the oak/walnut jobbie (145)
    Oak is a terrible material for a cutting board - the open pores in the grain are a real PIA to keep clean. walnut on the other hand...

I got myself a nice end grain (it does rule) walnut/maple block from the boardsmith. Same type of thing, all hand made one at a time in North Carolina. I love it.

BS49-2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

endgrain rules...until i cut/polish a solid slab. maple likely, unless i inset some bois de arc. i'll let my woodyworky pals help as they don't live so far aways as all my bikey worky pals.

another thing on the 5-year plan...dammit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a beautiful birds eye maple cutting board by Ed Wohl, but I always reach for this. Easy to lift and clean. Epicurean Kitchen Series 18 by 13-Inch Kitchen Cutting Board, Natural: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hillbilly, can't you saw up some of those maples and make something?????

I've got a cuttingboard and have had it for about 15 yrs. We were cruising thru the county fair and admired one wood workers cutting boards. He had two for "sale" haha they were wildly overpriced because, I'm sure, he wanted to keep them as demo pieces. One was a 3 or 4" thick X 2' X 1.5' Ash board nicely finished. The other was a similar curly maple board. Crazy prices. Anywho, on the way out of his tent I said "if you ever decide to sell the maple one let me know"....10 mins. later his wife comes screaming after me with Mr. by the ear giving him holy he!! for not making the sale. Ouch, I paid what it was worth...not his price...sheesh.

W.P. I have a large hard rock maple end grain up kitchen table that mom abandoned ages ago. That is going to become a built in when we re-do the kitchen. You busy? ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are faaaancy! I use a couple of big plastic ones for most stuff but have a pretty sweet teak one my cousin made for when I want to show off. Its too small for most meal prep though.

I have a bunch of maple left over from a project are those boards all just glued together with wood glue?