User Tag List

Page 2 of 150 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    there has to be a plane to get on. flight options are going to be minimal moving forward.
    We're already booked for moving back from France to the US on the 18th of April, which will be 5 days after this ban ends (in theory, at least). My point was that it is another bizarre exemption to this "ban" which really means nothing if I can get on a plane to come to the US any time in the next 30 days while my labmate, who is not a US citizen, but with whom I spend every day, eat and shop in the same places...etc. is barred from entry. Viruses don't respect citizenship.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I viewed last night's address the same as any other solicitation call.

The pompous, arrogant, ignorant, attitude address left me with the conclusion this guy cannot read. At least not anything past lower grade school level. Couple that with the inability to listen to smarter agencies and rely on gut feeling has developed into exactly what's happening now - a country without a leader. A country more interested in collecting a dollar than understanding and developing a better future.

Bright side to this virus; the cancellation of Trump's rally circus.

I'll just hang up now.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If nothing else, this disease makes a case for a better social structure. The crisis puts to shame the "i am my own man and nobody has helped me on my way to greatness" attitude many americans seem to have. this crisis will require these "self made" men to rely on others. If nothing else, this nonsensical concept of the great American individual has to dissolve some and make way for a better sense of community. In the long run, i hope we can embrace a greater sense of community as a result of this scare, and realize that we can build a better social structure for humans, one that covers other stuff besides money, because this disease is showing us that our 401k doesnt mean as much as we thought, does it? it now seems a foolish thing to prioritize, no?
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    I viewed last night's address the same as any other solicitation call.

The pompous, arrogant, ignorant, attitude address left me with the conclusion this guy cannot read. At least not anything past lower grade school level. Couple that with the inability to listen to smarter agencies and rely on gut feeling feeling has developed into exactly what's happening now - a country without a leader. A country more interested in collecting a dollar than understanding and developing a better future.

Bright side to this virus; the cancellation of Trump's rally circus.

I'll just hang up now.
    it was funny (not at all funny) that right at the beginning he tried to read words, and got them wrong often. Im glad im not the only one who noticed. you'd think context would allow him to say the right words, but hes not a bright human, im not actually sure hes human at all, just animatronics, thus the orange weird face.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The claim that insurers have agreed to waive all co-payments for coronavirus treatments was in error.

An insurance industry spokesperson clarified that was for testing, not treatment. Big difference.

And isn't that even lessened in importance because we are woefully short of materials for the test?

This administration is reading the script from a bad 70's disaster movie. Updated with snippets from the Chernobyl miniseries.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming we do not devolve into a true idiocracy, it is going to be fascinating to see what my children's high school text books say about this and the whole Trump presidency. That is about 8 years from now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    it was funny (not at all funny) that right at the beginning he tried to read words, and got them wrong often. Im glad im not the only one who noticed. you'd think context would allow him to say the right words, but hes not a bright human, im not actually sure hes human at all, just animatronics, thus the orange weird face.
    He's a germaphobe. My guess is he's really freaked out, and maybe took a little too much Xanax or something, and is extra mumbly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    RIGHT NOWA senior Brazilian official who was with President Trump at Mar-a-Lago days ago has tested positive for the virus, Brazilian media are reporting.
    Trump was asked about this and replied, "I'm not concerned."

This is just the latest incident where I strongly disagree with the President.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what all you snowflakes are stressing about. Jared wonder-boy Kushner will sort this out: Remember when there was discord in the Middle East and an Opioid Epidemic? Now you can't even FIND heroin and life in Gaza is all lollipops and rainbows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Assuming we do not devolve into a true idiocracy,.
    This is assuming we are not already there!!

Seriously. Go watch the movie... if you haven't already seen it. It amazes me how many people are not capable of independent thought, only regurgitating what the internet machine tells them.

I genuinely fear for my children, but have hope that careful parenting will enable them to be part of the solution.

This forum is not a representative slice of America. I would venture to say that most on here, are at least 5 %'ers... in terms of education, if not more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The starkly militaristic and nationalistic tone of the address sounded scary and ignorant and utterly inadequate at a time when the country is being radically upended, with travel halting, workplaces and schools shuttering, and hospitals bracing for impact."

Yet the bit in bold appears to resonate with some, no a lot, of people in your country. However, wearing a red hat and thumping your chest is not going to stop a virus entering your system and doing anything from killing you to giving you a sore throat and a bit of a cough. It's all vey odd. This is not a time to be militaristic and nationalistic. Rather, being communal and co-operating would be a preferable approach. Trump can get f*cked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Naval Academy spring break is extended two weeks. Now I need to figure out what the kid wants to do, he's in Pensacola with friends. He's in a cast from his bike crash and follow up surgery to get a plate on his radius. I'm in AZ, I hate the thought of either of us flying cross country.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all, a bit OT but the school closures that are happening and will likely sweep across America means that a lot of kids are gonna miss the only good meal they get all day (worldwide too). If you are able to (and we're an upscale cycling thread, so yeah most of us can...), please consider giving to your local food banks, YMCAs, churches (if that's your thing), etc. to help needy children and families make it through this.

A few other places to donate to:

No Kid Hungry
    Donate Today

Feeding Children Everywhere
    Feeding Children Everywhere | Together For a Hunger-Free World

If you're wondering whether schools near you are closed, or you want to give more targeted geographically, here's a map of school closures:
    Map: Coronavirus and School Closures - Education Week
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since it's politics. Compare Trump's address to Bernie's: science-based response, full mobilization of all medical personnel, guaranteed diagnosis and treatment regardless of finances, requiring pharma to distribute kits and treatments at cost, guaranteeing paid sick leave, guaranteed meal assistance to the elderly. IMO, if we can fund wars with emergency spending, as was done for Iraq and Afghanistan, we can do it for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNerdyCyclist View Post
    Hey all, a bit OT but the school closures that are happening and will likely sweep across America means that a lot of kids are gonna miss the only good meal they get all day (worldwide too). If you are able to (and we're an upscale cycling thread, so yeah most of us can...), please consider giving to your local food banks, YMCAs, churches (if that's your thing), etc. to help needy children and families make it through this.

A few other places to donate to:

No Kid Hungry
    Donate Today

Feeding Children Everywhere
    Feeding Children Everywhere | Together For a Hunger-Free World

If you're wondering whether schools near you are closed, or you want to give more targeted geographically, here's a map of school closures:
    Map: Coronavirus and School Closures - Education Week
    Dude. I feel terrible for not even thinking about this aspect. Thanks for the links. This is definitely a worthy endeavor.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Opinion: he seems ill, and I hope he gets well.
    Word is that c19 is most dangerous to those who are already compromised...

Thoughts and prayers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver