Thread: Finally Bought Some Land II

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finally Bought Some Land II

Funny.
    I learned (prior to purchase) the property is bound by ‘ridge restrictions’. Meaning height average cannot be more than 25’ (grade to peak).
    I’d have to remove those little chimney tops - throwing the off the entire architectural silhouette and risking the blend. So, I’ll need to pass.

On a serious and competitive note; the purchase came with architectural drawings. I had brief discussion with the architect and he mentioned a few things that might be impossible to execute - in regards to my plans. Needless to say, I’ll be competitive with him.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check your code...often times chimneys are exempt from the height restrictions that are placed on the roof peak, as their height is determined by a formula pertaining to flue size, distance from the roof and distance from the roof peak. Codes examples below...ymmv.

Understanding the 1-Foot 2-Foot 3-Foot Rule: How to Determine the Chimney Height of Class A Solid Fuel Pipe Above the Roofline

Chapter 1: Chimneys and Fireplaces, Residential Code 215 of New York State | UpCodes
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey man, congrats!! You are about 3.5 hours away from where I live. I’m sure you know how wonderful the area is.. once you get rolling on design and construction, feel free to reach out. I build/construct/weld for a living and tend to focus on sustainable sort of modern stuff. I’m no architect, just a guy that has been lucky enough to get to build some really cool structures.

I’m working through the winter building 4 lofts in an old hardware store-but lived for a long time in a commune that really focused on sustainability.

I will travel and I am for hire-as long as the riding is good... and I know it is.

Good luck-it’ll be fun
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You picked a great spot. My inlaws live near Hot Springs, NC (they are moving and I lament what we are about to lose in terms of a playground home base). Riding aroudn there is off the charts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much! I’m also in the construction world, albeit high security commercial stuff. Perhaps the furthest thing from residential construction but, to build is to build.
    I’ll reach out when that time comes. Unfortunately it won’t be soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Hey man, congrats!! You are about 3.5 hours away from where I live. I’m sure you know how wonderful the area is.. once you get rolling on design and construction, feel free to reach out. I build/construct/weld for a living and tend to focus on sustainable sort of modern stuff. I’m no architect, just a guy that has been lucky enough to get to build some really cool structures.

I’m working through the winter building 4 lofts in an old hardware store-but lived for a long time in a commune that really focused on sustainability.

I will travel and I am for hire-as long as the riding is good... and I know it is.

Good luck-it’ll be fun
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries. Give me a bit and we’ll have a new playground home base.

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    You picked a great spot. My inlaws live near Hot Springs, NC (they are moving and I lament what we are about to lose in terms of a playground home base). Riding aroudn there is off the charts.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have room to build a velodrome around the house ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Do you have room to build a velodrome around the house ?
    When we bought our land, we were asked two questions by our friends. One was "are you going to put in a swimming pool" and the other was "are you going to put in a velodrome". So that pretty much describes the two kinds of friends we have - cyclists and everyone else.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the choice between my very own velodrome and, say, my very own 1.4 mile mtb trail (1.4 mi = circumference of a 100 acre circular plot of land) even though I'm much more of a roadie than an MTB rider, I think I'd take the mtb trail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. The 1 acre parcel we just closed on completes the loop of old farm roads that will make an excellent cross country skiing course in the winter and, with some obstacles & terrain features (sand pit?) added, a nice cyclocross course the rest of the time. I am pretty excited about this.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Agreed. The 1 acre parcel we just closed on completes the loop of old farm roads that will make an excellent cross country skiing course in the winter and, with some obstacles & terrain features (sand pit?) added, a nice cyclocross course the rest of the time. I am pretty excited about this.
    I made a ski trail in a field one winter with snowshoes, the old kind. It was work, and soon required more work, and then even more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I made a ski trail in a field one winter with snowshoes, the old kind. It was work, and soon required more work, and then even more.
    You are building up a good argument for a snowmobile...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're among friends so I feel safe to ask a stupid question - Without wifi and/or cellular service, is it possible to install a remote weather station?
    I've seen stations with solar, so the power thing I get, but the transmission of information is another situation.

I'm wanting to position a station on this property to collect accurate weather trends. Can this be done?
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I install a fair number of remote weather stations for work. If you dont need real-time data there are all sorts of low power dataloggers that you could just download whenever you visit. If you need telemetry then there are some radio options that might bridge you to the nearest cell or wifi access but that is a lot more complicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rainy rider View Post
    low power dataloggers
    Interesting. I'm listening.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably need to start with what parameters you actually want to monitor. If you just want to know temperature or (unheated) precipitation then there are little units that will last 10 years on an internal battery. If you want a full blown meteorological station then the sensor choices can play a role in overall power consumption.

What parameters do you care about?

Are you a diy type are looking for a pre-packaged system?

Is accuracy really important to you or is close enough good enough? Related question: do you have a budget in mind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Rainy. Good questions.
    Wish list of parameters would be temp, humidity, wind speed/direction, and rain fall. Ultimately, that could be scaled down to temp, wind speed and direction. Accuracy good enough to get me in the ballpark. Nothing too tech.
    Because I'm away from this property more than 330 days per year, I want to use this data for building orientation and design reasons. So, I'm not going to split hairs.
    I'm a full-on, 100%, do-it-your-own-gd-self kinda guy, but I'm very limited by lack of knowledge when it comes to electronics. So not apposed to a packaged unit.
    And I'd spend up to $300 for this entertainment.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the budget likely puts you in the diy realm. There are some packaged systems out there from companies like accurite that would fit the budget but in a quick google search I did not come across any that would not require some modifications as they are not really set up for long term data logging.

I think something along these lines would do what you want and would be fun (if you enjoy this kind of stuff) but it would be full on diy.

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/...eather-station

There are probably a dozen more tutorials out there for Raspberrypi and arduino weather stations. If these kinds of boards are unfamiliar I might suggest looking up a local maker space and you might find some helpful people and resources who could get you started.

Hope that helps a little. I have the luxury of large budgets and research-grade instruments at work but i dont have a lot of experience with the arduino/RaspberryPi side of things. I would love to tackle something like this someday for my own back yard but a busy family and work life mean I barely have time to ride my bike these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    Thanks Rainy. Good questions.
    Wish list of parameters would be temp, humidity, wind speed/direction, and rain fall. Ultimately, that could be scaled down to temp, wind speed and direction. Accuracy good enough to get me in the ballpark. Nothing too tech.
    Because I'm away from this property more than 330 days per year, I want to use this data for building orientation and design reasons. So, I'm not going to split hairs.
    I'm a full-on, 100%, do-it-your-own-gd-self kinda guy, but I'm very limited by lack of knowledge when it comes to electronics. So not apposed to a packaged unit.
    And I'd spend up to $300 for this entertainment.
    If you want a more "affordable" package in term of knowledge to make it run the micro:bits kits can be easier to deal with than doing it with ardunio's or a raspberry:

SparkFun micro:climate kit for micro:bit - KIT-1531 - SparkFun Electronics
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast