User Tag List

Thread: Beam Style Jig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beam Style Jig

Anyone using one? I'm currently using an Alex Meade set-up and it has worked well with only a few hinderances. I was going to convert some of my blocks to attach to the extrusion for various uses and machine some other small items. Given my space constraints, it seems to make sense. I would also have more access to the frame at all angles. I sat down with a buddy and worked something up in solidworks and this is what we came up with. Head tube would remain fixed at 90 degrees and everything would be slowly built up in sections. The rear tower can move forwards or backwards.....or out of the way altogether. My biggest problem with the Meade blocks is rear ends.......they come out fine, but very time consuming. If you've used this style jig, can you please shed some light on what your experience was/is.

Beam Jig.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Beam Style Jig

Dave Porter did a nice write up a while back detailing the use of his Morroni beam jig Using a Pino Morroni Frame Jig. I have the tandem version of that jig and I like it a lot. Great access and very versatile.
    Looking at your design, I think I'd like the jig to hold the ht at the right angle, more intuitive to set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of BMX companies use beam style jigs for production, theirs have limited range of adjustment but work well and offer a lot of access. Here's the one FBM uses:

Many motorcycle frame jigs are made in this way, might find some inspiration searching through images of those, here's one from a home made jigs thread on MTBR:
    Seth Rosko
    Rosko Cycles
    New York City
    www.rosko.cc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at your drawing design, I would say you might like to put the bb a bit higher so to have better access to this ares from more positions, so it helps out for tacking and any other possible action you might want to do around the bb. Apart from that, looks like a nice design with plenty of access to the whole frame without restrictions, wich is nice.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amaro Bikes View Post
    Looking at your drawing design, I would say you might like to put the bb a bit higher so to have better access to this ares from more positions, so it helps out for tacking and any other possible action you might want to do around the bb. Apart from that, looks like a nice design with plenty of access to the whole frame without restrictions, wich is nice.

Cheers
    It's not really shown in the image, but the brackets on the wings will be bolted to towers holding the BB exactly 5" above the beam. I was hoping that would be enough room. The head tub will also be exactly 5" away from the beam. All the Alex Meade blocks use 5" as a center line, so that's where that number came from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys, im building cargo bikes in Colombia, find a proper aluminium profile to build the jig is kind of complex and expensive, i would like to know what do you think about this design

David Duarte

WWW.BOGBI.BO

Captura de pantalla 2018-10-17 a la(s) 11.17.50 a.m..jpg

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we please see a first and last name attached to every post/comment made on Frame Forum.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by picodua15 View Post
    Hi guys, im building cargo bikes in Colombia, find a proper aluminium profile to build the jig is kind of complex and expensive, i would like to know what do you think about this design

Captura de pantalla 2018-10-17 a la(s) 11.17.50 a.m..jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Duarte

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David,
    That design is very complex and has a lot of reference surfaces. So getting it aligned is going to be difficult. And getting the completed assembly off looks like it would be a struggle. I would work on simplifying the design until the important parts are held properly. Just as with any bike, those are the head tube, the BB, and the rear axle. Then work on holding the rest of the parts with a minimum of structure. I would work out from a central beam and uprights instead of basing it off of a frame.