User Tag List

Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Winter Bicycles

A couple of months ago John Watson (of Prolly is Not Probably) checked in about the show this weekend- he had some new chain rings he and AARN cooked up. I mentioned that I wasn't going, but that I had a cool project bike that needed a final kick in the pants to get it finished, and setting a hard deadline was a great way to do it.

Sometimes great things come out of a simple phone call.

The full photo gallery can be seen here, and Prolly takes a look over at PiNP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    A couple of months ago John Watson (of Prolly is Not Probably) checked in about the show this weekend- he had some new chain rings he and AARN cooked up. I mentioned that I wasn't going, but that I had a cool project bike that needed a final kick in the pants to get it finished, and setting a hard deadline was a great way to do it.

Sometimes great things come out of a simple phone call.

The full photo gallery can be seen here, and Prolly takes a look over at PiNP.
    Well played, Estlund. Well played.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tuesday night lights (I'll have plenty of other stuff come Friday)-

A cool macro shot of some freshly brazed fork fillets. Nice shape, consistent width and radius, and good edge wet out. This stuff is still like magic to me- wave a fire at some metal and this stuff happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just received a little package from Brooks- this years "The Bugle".

Inside is a nice little feature on "Builds of Distinction". Leading them out? The Winter Bicycles M1918.

Look for it with this years saddles and accessories. Thanks, Brooks!

Last edited by Eric Estlund; 03-27-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you joining us at Bespoked in London, tickets are available at an early-bird discounted rate (click below).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm impressed that you would go to a UK show, i'm sure there is a great appreciation for your work there...

nice one Eric
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just received a note from Bespoked:

I’m please to let you know that your name was picked out the hat to have a track session on the Friday evening of the show.

Woot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look forward to catching up with Eric each year, his third in attendance and he brings some beautiful bikes with him, in fact if his track bike from last year had been my size I would have bought it there and then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I get ready for some time out of the shop I am making a big push on the run of Pelicans, but also trying to get some smaller stuff out the door. One of these was a fun segmented fork for Tom. I built him one a few years ago, and when he changed out his frame he came back for another! I handed it over at noon, and by one he had it up and running. Happy trails!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm taking off tomorrow for the UK, so I had to cram my "work week" into about 24 hrs between Sunday and today. Here is a little "Monday night lights" for the shop hours.

Braze ons, bridges and bosses galore!

Forced "break". Running the torch so much I popped out of O2 at some point between Sunday and Monday- blurring the lines between yesterday and tomorrow.

Raw fillets from a couple of the bikes:

Today was final pre-paint frame prep, hole drilling, tapping etc. And key holes. Love me a good key hole.

Finally- a blurry shot as I ran them out the door and off to powder! When I get back I'll have a fresh squadron of blue Pelicans to help fly down to SF!

Well, I guess I should pack for tomorrow. I look forward to catching the UK contingent this weekend in London.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woot!

That's two for two in the catagory! Thanks, Bespoked!

Also a big thanks to Columbus- I'm looking forward to playing with this stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Winter "Sean-nós"- a blend of modern materials and traditional construction methods. I built this one to show at Bespoked in London, and will take it with me to SF to show next week.

The Sean-nós is designed to run modest width tyres and mudguards under a mid reach brake. The heat treated, thin wall steel tubing is joined with clean, crisply carved continental style lugs.

The quickly raked fork and open scalloped drop out treatment are reminiscent of an older style.

The Sean-nos is equally at home in the mountains, rain and rougher roads The racing green metallic paint and gold box lining are provided by Keith Anderson.

54 seat tube and 55 top tube with an optional 120mm Winter French point stem.

This frame is currently available- please inquire. Full photo set can be found here.

Photo by Anthony Bareno

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on a mini working vacation- my wife has a conference and I tagged along to make a Pelican delivery and hang out for our little show at Fourbarrel in SF W. night. Yesterday I popped into SF to hang out with my buddy Ely from Ruth Works bags. This morning I had a great little note in my in box:

"Hey Eric!

I saw this really gorgeous bike on the Caltrain last night on the 8:40 PM headed south from San Francisco. I gave myself a reminder to look up the company. I didn't realize that you're the man himself! Well done sir."

I always appreciate the second look, and I really appreciate the follow up to the site. Thanks for watching and following along, and if you are in SF tomorrow, stop in to Fourbarrel Coffee from 6-8 (on Valencia).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shindig!

From their poster:
    WINTER BICYCLES IS A ONE-MAN OPERATION BASED OUT OF SPRINGFIELD, OREGON. ERIC ESTLUND IS ITS DESIGNER AND BUILDER, FOCUSING ON CUSTOM FRAMES, FORKS, RACKS, STEMS, ETC. WITH A VAST BACKGROUND, INCLUDING WORKING FOR A BICYCLE PRODUCTION COMPANY, HE HAS TAKEN HIS CRAFT TO HIS OWN WORKSHOP, MAKING STRIDES TO BECOME A MASTER OF THE ART OF FRAMEBUILDING. FOR THIS SPECIAL NIGHT, ERIC WILL BE EXHIBITING A SELECTION OF HIS BICYCLES, INCLUDING THE BOX DOG BIKES PELICAN, WHICH HE BUILDS FOR THAT SHOP IN SMALL BATCHES. PLEASE JOIN WINTER AND BOX DOG ON THIS EVENING FOR A SMALL RECEPTION AND GATHERING OF THESE FINE FOLKS. LIGHT REFRESHMENTS AND SNACKS WILL BE AVAILABLE/PROVIDED.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "Volate" frame set was designed as an event bike for a full rando season.

Designed around wider 700c tires, fenders, and the ability to run disc or optional long reach brakes.

The Volante is set up for internal light wiring and optional internal caliper brake routing.

It features a Winter French point stem with bell mount and custom removable spacer if the rider chooses to sub in a cable hanger for centerpull use.

The custom Gothic point rack accents the stem and seat tube details.

Rich cobalt paint and gold box lining by Keith Anderson.

Photos by Anthony Bareno.

Full set here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on a mini working vacation- my wife has a conference and I tagged along to make a Pelican delivery and hang out for our little show at Fourbarrel in SF W. night. Yesterday I popped into SF to hang out with my buddy Ely from Ruth Works bags. This morning I had a great little note in my in box:

"Hey Eric!

I saw this really gorgeous bike on the Caltrain last night on the 8:40 PM headed south from San Francisco. I gave myself a reminder to look up the company. I didn't realize that you're the man himself! Well done sir."

I always appreciate the second look, and I really appreciate the follow up to the site. Thanks for watching and following along, and if you are in SF tomorrow, stop in to Fourbarrel Coffee from 6-8 (on Valencia).

Got any more shots of this bike Eric?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why yes-

Gallery- studio shots

Instagram- some shots in the California sun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why yes-

Gallery- studio shots

Instagram- some shots in the California sun
    You were in my neighborhood in those Instagram photos at Stanford! Hope you had a good loop around Campus drive and tour of downtown bike shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks- my wife had a couple of conferences on campus and we stayed in a guest house near down town. Fun time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this up in this weeks FNL, but thought it would make a fun addition here, too. These are some process shots from a new all-road bike, the Consano. It'll cure what ails ya:

Full set here.

I'll keep this one updated as it goes through paint and becomes a "real bike".