User Tag List

Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

We never have helicopters overhead unless there is a medivac going on. Today it was every 1-2 an hour. Limited insignia so figure NYS Nat’l Guard. Making an exercise out of things I guess. Who knows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can you believe anything the police say, when they describe an incident?

The Buffalo police initially said that this 75 year old man was injured when he "tripped and fell."

The rest of the story is that even though he was no threat at all, he was shoved violently backwards by the officer, fell to the ground, hit his head and was seriously injured. Somebody needs to tell these guys that this isn't war, and peaceful American citizens aren't the enemy.

Buffalo Police Officers Suspended After Shoving 75-Year-Old Protester - The New York Times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAGA-MAMIL's Behaving Badly:

Park Police: Suspect wanted for assault on Capital Crescent Trail | wusa9.com

At approximately 12:45 pm, three young adults were walking the Capital Crescent Trail near the Dalecarlia Tunnel. The young adults – one male and two females – were posting flyers in support of Black Lives Matter.

The suspect, described as a white male, began to argue about the flyers and grabbed the flyers from one of the victims, police said.

Police said the suspect pushed his bicycle and began to charge one of the victims, causing them to fall to the ground.

Park Police describe the suspect as a white male, 50-60 years old, medium build, 6-feet in height, with short brown hair.

He was wearing a gray t-shirt, black shorts, a red helmet, and aviator-style glasses.

They're being generous. He ripped the flyers out of a young girls hand. Probably thought they were AnTEENfa.

There's no excuse for this behavior. Or his kit.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Well, if you can't wear a red MAGA cap, I suppose a red helmet is the next best thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    [url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/protests-armed-white-vigilantes/2020/06/04/09e17610-a5bb-11ea-b619-3f9133bbb482_story.html]Treller, 48, said he mobilized after hearing from trusted voices that “antifa types” were on the move.
    So basically this guy is saying publicly he is again democracy, freedom and he is willing to fight for dictacture and the end of the republic ?

Wow.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Armed white residents lined Idaho streets amid ‘antifa’ protest fears. The leftist incursion was an online myth. | Washington Post

"Protesters had only begun assembling peacefully in Idaho when a Facebook page for retired police officers advised its followers to stay on high alert.

“We will protect our neighborhoods,” it vowed.

So when early reports about potential violence surfaced a day later — claiming “ANTIFA agitators” were storming the state this week — scores of residents took to the streets. Armed with military-style assault rifles, they stood guard in places such as Coeur d’Alene, a resort town of 50,000 on a lake in northwest Idaho.

“Enough of us swung into action, and put the word out on social media and elsewhere, that we were able to deploy and meet any violent elements that might come here from out of state,” said Trevor Treller, a sommelier and one of the armed locals. Treller, 48, said he mobilized after hearing from trusted voices that “antifa types” were on the move.

It would not prove to be true."
    There are so many layers to this that I'm finding it hard to collect my thoughts. The idea that people would come out of the woodworks in tactical gear loaded up with military-style weapons under the guise of ensuring "safety" is absurd. It's fear mongering and intended to threaten. To send a message that their second amendment right to bear arms trumps someone else's first amendment rights to peaceably assemble.

What's also frustrating is that while there was no actual threat of "antifa" (in quotes because it's being used as a rallying cry and not an accurate representation of anti-fascism), these "peacekeepers" (in quotes because showing up in a public space like the guy below is about fear, not peace) will be emboldened by their perceived success in keeping throngs of rioters from descending upon this small town.

"I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    How can you believe anything the police say, when they describe an incident?

The Buffalo police initially said that this 75 year old man was injured when he "tripped and fell."

The rest of the story is that even though he was no threat at all, he was shoved violently backwards by the officer, fell to the ground, hit his head and was seriously injured. Somebody needs to tell these guys that this isn't war, and peaceful American citizens aren't the enemy.

Buffalo Police Officers Suspended After Shoving 75-Year-Old Protester - The New York Times
    This brought me to tears. And I am not being dramatic.
    If you don't have the stomach to watch (and I should not have), I'll summarize: Police officer pushes old man down for having the temerity to approach and talk to him, old man falls backward, strikes his head and immediately starts bleeding FROM HIS EAR, and the officer - and several others - who all clearly see the blood pouring out of an elderly gentleman's ear walk by him.

Yeah. The guy "tripped and fell."

There is something very, very wrong with our police, and I pray in this incident that this particular monster is charged with assault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    MAGA-MAMIL's Behaving Badly:

Park Police: Suspect wanted for assault on Capital Crescent Trail | wusa9.com

At approximately 12:45 pm, three young adults were walking the Capital Crescent Trail near the Dalecarlia Tunnel. The young adults – one male and two females – were posting flyers in support of Black Lives Matter.

The suspect, described as a white male, began to argue about the flyers and grabbed the flyers from one of the victims, police said.

Police said the suspect pushed his bicycle and began to charge one of the victims, causing them to fall to the ground.

Park Police describe the suspect as a white male, 50-60 years old, medium build, 6-feet in height, with short brown hair.

He was wearing a gray t-shirt, black shorts, a red helmet, and aviator-style glasses.

They're being generous. He ripped the flyers out of a young girls hand. Probably thought they were AnTEENfa.

I came here to post this.

Here's the twitter thread, including a video of the assualt:

Twitter

Yes, it's assault - he physically grabbed the girl's arm.

If you follow the thread, you find that he was quickly identified via Strava.

Sure, passions are high - but this guy is trash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note, one good thing coming out of this is the heightened scrutiny to the Ahmaud Arbery murder in Georgia.

Yesterday was a hearing. As the lawyer for the family said, ' We thought race played a part, but today's testimony removed all doubt.'

I can't imagine how scared that young man was being chased by two white guys in pickup trucks with shotguns.

This guy was arrested.

Twitter

Here's a woman pepper spraying protestors in Thousand Oaks from her car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Not only can Trump not designate ANTIFA a terrorist organization its not even clear they're behind much. Most of the protests are peaceful despite some of the images you may see. When asked Barr can't seem to point to any arrests and prosecutions to back his position up and dismisses actual ones by right wing anarchist groups such as boogaloo. ANTIFA is sounding more and more like Turkey using violence to distract and arrest opponents of Erdogan.

Republicans including Trump were also blaming Soros for the unrest. And for those that don't know or missed the excellent testimony by Fiona Hill on this topic, attacks on Soros are anti-semitism and just an updated version of the Elders of Zion Jewish conspiracy. That's where we are today.

Right-wing '''Boogaloo''' men arrested on terror charges, conspiracy to incite violence - Business Insider -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twitter

a little background here- My 12 year old daughter and a couple of her friends from the local Childrens theater organized a small, simple and totally peaceful protest here in our town. I have been at this for 25 years and been to a lot of actions/protest. This was by far the most genuine and peaceful protest i have been to. For fucks sake these are kids. There may have been a couple of 20 year olds but the majority of the 60-70 people there were 12-16 maybe... We had left by this point. Part of me wishes that i would have been there, but i am also glad that i wasn't,

The video is of a very large white supremacist trying to choke a young woman-
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

designating ANTIFA as a terrorist organization is reminiscent of post 9/11. Members of such organizations as EarthFirst!, ELF and ALF that were arrested for any action at all, were charged with EcoTerrorism. Even if you were not an active member or necessarily aware of those organizations, you were charged.. Several local protests of logging companies led to some fairly lengthy sentences for simple acts of non-violence and direct action.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopeful that Minneapolis policing will change? It's depressing to see people like the Police Union Chief wield such power, and it will be no surprise to see much darker days.

Hopeful that Minneapolis policing will change? Meet the police union's chief ... | US news | The Guardian
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just went through the last few pages of posts. Crazy. Just crazy.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    There are so many layers to this that I'm finding it hard to collect my thoughts. The idea that people would come out of the woodworks in tactical gear loaded up with military-style weapons under the guise of ensuring "safety" is absurd. It's fear mongering and intended to threaten. To send a message that their second amendment right to bear arms trumps someone else's first amendment rights to peaceably assemble.

What's also frustrating is that while there was no actual threat of "antifa" (in quotes because it's being used as a rallying cry and not an accurate representation of anti-fascism), these "peacekeepers" (in quotes because showing up in a public space like the guy below is about fear, not peace) will be emboldened by their perceived success in keeping throngs of rioters from descending upon this small town.

and yet this is exactly what is going on here. 2nd amendment counter protests, because guns have it worse than black people i guess?
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That video of what looks like an army of police officers in riot gear pushing over a single elderly non-threatening man and someone screaming "get a medic" as if someone were shot on a battlefield is terrifying IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing we're not saying clearly enough or loudly enough:

This is all about racism, this nation's original sin. So:

Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    Racism
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    and yet this is exactly what is going on here. 2nd amendment counter protests, because guns have it worse than black people i guess?
    I wonder if they'd listen to this retired four star jarhead? Probably not. There's nothing quite so durable as the convictions held by the ignorati.

Trump's Military Threats Against Protesters Could Be the Beginning of the End of American Democracy

John Allen is president of the Brookings Institution, a retired U.S. Marine Corps four-star general, and former commander of the NATO International Security Assistance Force and U.S. Forces in Afghanistan.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    "More cautious" is rather polite language for not holding guns on press, or firing tear gas and rubber bullets at them. And yes, some are wearing flak jackets that say press on them. The onus here is on bad cops, not on press who are doing an adequate job of identifying themselves.

Minnesota State Patrol troopers forced Los Angeles Times reporter Molly Hennessy-Fiske and photographer Carolyn Cole against a wall before firing tear gas and projectiles at them. Cole was wearing a flak jacket labeled “Press” and both displayed credentials. “Hennessy-Fiske shouted ‘Press’ at the officers and waved her notebook at them before they fired,” the complaint says. “They asked the officers where to go but received no answer. When they tried to flee, the officers chased them and fired more less-lethal projectiles at them.”

ACLU Sues Minneapolis Police Over Police Treatment of Journalists
    I actually could quote any of a bunch of posts in this thread for this reply....

We keep ignoring one of the major problems in all of this.

In 1970, there was a court ruling in Connecticut that police departments could use a high IQ as a reason NOT to hire someone to be a cop.

They did not want above average intelligence people to be police officers because they wanted a force that would just blindly, unconditionally, do EXACTLY as they were told.

Thus it is easy for a leader (who may be racist or whatever) to continue institutional racism by keeping it simple stupid... « stop black and brown drivers », « stop and frisk black and brown young males »....and then the statistics show it is black and brown etc etc etc which becomes a self-perpetuating institutional racism.

The same thing happens with « get anybody blocking a sidewalk and moving out of the way ». There isn’t the thought of « oh, that one says press so it’s ok ».

It is also why the LAST person you want dealing with a mentally ill person is a cop. They often do not have the thought process to de-escalate/ change how they deal with a situation when the situation is fluid and requires a different level of learned thinking.

It is sort of like when you have to call the help line call center for HP printers....you just want to scream while they are reading from a script « you are human, please think a little differently and talk a little differently beyond what the boss told you to do in every situation ».

Just throwing that in as an on top of that there is also racism caused by upbringing/ etc.

It is something that I have to keep reminding people that say « well, over half of the 36,000 uniformed NYPD are minorities » which I remind after I point out the over 90% of the guys in the white shirts (lieutenants and above) are white.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel