User Tag List

Page 78 of 175 FirstFirst ... 686970717273747576777879808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nato Strap

Quote Originally Posted by rcunnane View Post
    Thanks for all the input fellas! Recent Rolex designs just don't do it for me - I think it mainly has to do with the ceramic bezels. If I went Rolex I'd probably wait a bit to save and then shoot for something from just before they switched to ceramic.

The Tudor GMT you mentioned above sure is nice, has old-school Rolex DNA, does not have a ceramic bezel, and comes at a very attractive price. You would be hard pressed to find a nice sport watch at that price point to start your collection. Look at it...perfect for early rounds, mid-day department meetings, patient office visits, a lecture hall while teaching med students, and even an awards banquet. I bet it looks good with scrubs too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me know if I should be thinking about anything else that would fit the bill.
    Out of your list the Speedmaster would easily be at the top for me.

I think that the Grand Seiko GMT suggestion is a good one. IMO the fit, finish and quality of Grand Seiko is better than anything on your list.

In the end though, you're the one wearing the watch so buy the one that appeals to you the most.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy the one you will wear everyday and not wish it was something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rolex

Please forgive the long post, and maybe this should be a new thread (mods feel free to move), but I'm curious hear the group's input on my dilemma (first world, I know).

In an effort to mark some significant recent, and upcoming, events (promotion, 10 year anniversary) I find myself in the market for my first real timepiece. I was bit by the bug years ago and have been a long-term obsessive about watches ever since. My list has evolved over time, but largely existed on a wistful "someday" level due to financial and life restraints. When everything exists in the hypothetical it's easy to "know" what you want and what you would buy - now that I have the opportunity it's a lot more difficult. I've narrowed things down to a few leading contenders and would love to get your feedback on the merits and drawbacks of each since I know many of you guys have these pieces.

Some background to give you a sense of where I am:
    -- My budget is probably about $5K now, if I wait some time (like ~1.5 years until my 40th b-day I may be able to push it up some more).
    -- I'm an academic physician, so while I often wear semi-formal wear (suits, sport coats, etc) it's not super rigid like a board room or anything. I'm also in scrubs a lot.
    -- As you'll see below I tend to gravitate towards divers, pilot watches, chronographs and GMTs - I guess I like the more tool watch aesthetic.
    -- The watch would be a daily wearer (not going to use the term "beater") so durability is important.
    -- I would like to build a collection over time, but not for the purpose of investment. I want to wear and enjoy my watches, not have them in a safe so I can sell them later for a profit.
    -- My ideal collection would likely include many of these down the line, but I need to decide how to start.

Here are the watches I'm considering in no particular order:

1.) Tudor Black Bay GMT
    -- I loved this thing when I first saw it. I like that it seems to be getting back to what Rolex used to be in terms of a high quality, durable, well-designed, functional tool watch.
    -- Seems like an amazing value given that it is $3,900 on a bracelet and $3,575 on a strap. With that you get 200M water resistance, in house 70-hour power reserve movement and a "true" GMT complication. It's also available new with all the benefits of that over the used market.
    -- The pepsi color scheme is awesome and the more subdued, matte, colors of the aluminum bezel seem more functional than the bright ones on a classic Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (which is also ~$5000 more expensive!).
    -- Cons: People worry about the thickness (14.8mm), but pictures don't look too bad. I have yet to try one on so who knows. Pepsi color scheme, while awesome, maybe not the most versatile. Also, date wheel issues being reported but hopefully will be resolved by the time I would buy it.
    Attachment 109477
    Image from Hodinkee.com

2.) Omega Speedmaster Professional reference 3572.50
    -- The classic - though I particularly like this version with the Hesalite crystal and exhibition caseback. It has been discontinued, but frequently available on the gray market at ~$3,100-$3,500.
    -- I love it and my dad used to wear an old quartz Omega - so there is a definite draw there because of that.
    -- Cons: I've looked at Speedys so many times, I kind of feel like I may get bored with it at some point. Also, while controversial, I do use the date feature a lot on my current watch a lot.
    Attachment 109478
    Attachment 109479

3.) IWC Pilot's Chronograph reference 3717
    -- I've always liked the legible, but complex design of this dial. I also like the splash of color from the seconds dial. This version is slightly smaller at 42mm than the current reference 3777 at 43mm
    -- Also discontinued, but available via gray market at ~$3,500
    Attachment 109480

4.) IWC Pilot's Chronograph reference 3706
    -- I like the unique dial, colors and hands. The vintage vibe is cool and hails back to the, arguably, better days of IWC in the '90s.
    -- Discontinued but available for ~$3,200
    Attachment 109481

Others:
    5.) IWC Doppelchronograph reference 3711
    -- Not really all that practical but this thing is just dope. Super thick case so probably difficult to have as a daily wear. Maybe someday as an addition to the collection - might also scratch the IWC 3706 itch at the same time.
    -- Surprisingly available on gray market for ~$5,000
    Attachment 109482

6.) Rolex GMT Master II reference 16710
    -- If price were not an object...unfortunately it is.
    Attachment 109483

Let me know if I should be thinking about anything else that would fit the bill.

Ryan
    Why not consider a new or slightly used Rolex Datejust. Today's thirst for the big dial, underwater, pilot watches will soften. I have two Rolexes, a gold-stainless my wife bought me in 1977, and a President in 1991. Both have relative low percieved value compared to today's diving and flying watches. Rolexes are like women's skirts. Mini and then back to long skirts. The Datejust in 18k gold/stainless will always be a sought after model relative to it's new purchase price. Both of my watches are worth much more than I paid, but low compared to today's fashionable models. ( $700 for the gold/stainless Date, $7700 for the 18k President). Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First automatic

I just bought my first automatic watch. I like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: First automatic

Quote Originally Posted by DJBCFP12 View Post
    Congratulations! I'm really digging the new NOMOS designs and that circular date is really sweet. I've had my Club for a few years now and enjoy wearing as much as I did when I first got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJBCFP12 View Post

Nice one. Nomos watches are spot on.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never been more happy with a watch than this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    never been more happy with a watch than this one.

timeless

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very special. Well deserved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Connie and new Speedy.
    Untitled
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is new watch time. It occurred to me that my ex-wife had purchased the others as gifts and a celebration watch was in order. I really like this. It's a hefty piece of stainless. For what it is, I think I prefer its quartz movement over an auto.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I've now joined the Stowa family...

I decided a while back that it would be nice to have a manual-wind in my little collection, did some research and settled on the Stowa Flieger Black Forest LE originally made back in 2014. It uses the ETA 2801-2 movement, which I chose over the 6498 because of the central second hand. No-date makes it easier to go from drawer to wrist without any hassles.

I looked around and found this one on WUS (these are some of the seller's pics). It obviously isn't your typical Flieger, but I really like how it looks on my wrist. It came with the standard Stowa black leather strap and an orange rubber Stowa, but for variety I've ordered a few other straps to see how it looks on a dark brown leather strap and an olive green Nato.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in 1986 when I graduated from college, I purchased a pre-owned 1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI from a VW dealer in Woburn, Massachusetts (here are a couple photos after taking delivery). Upon inspection when I arrived home, I discovered this in the map pocket:

It's a Seiko 7123-8059. The watch dates to March of 1980. The clasp is engraved with "All My Love, Joni". The crystal was broken already and maybe Joni had something to do with it considering the watch was left in the car. It's not the most expensive or fancy watch, but it's insanely accurate. Less than 1 second per day and a few seconds per week (+). I often debate having the crystal replaced and swapping out the bracelet with an orange NATO strap but sort of like it the way it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just sitting in the jewelry drawer and not getting used. Can anyone steer me to a good site to learn more about the watch as it most likely is on the way to a better home. The face is about 30-31mm for some reference and the band appears to be lizard...most likely not Komodo Dragon.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Can anyone steer me to a good site to learn more about the watch as it most likely is on the way to a better home.
    Accutron, Bulova, and Caravelle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    So I've now joined the Stowa family...

I decided a while back that it would be nice to have a manual-wind in my little collection, did some research and settled on the Stowa Flieger Black Forest LE originally made back in 2014. It uses the ETA 2801-2 movement, which I chose over the 6498 because of the central second hand.
    Nice score. The 2801 doesn't get a lot of love but I have a SandY 490 with one and that thing is amazingly accurate; one year at the time change I set it to the atomic clock and in kept it wound for a month and in that time it only gained 3 seconds.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Thanks for the help Louis...one of the members responded within a day to my inquiry and they've dead on with the ID.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one deserves my attention...IWC Big Pilot Heritage Edition in titanium!

IWC Big Pilot.jpeg

Yes I have expensive watch habit...but hey crack kills!

KJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RSCROSS View Post
    This one deserves my attention...IWC Big Pilot Heritage Edition in titanium!

Yes I have expensive watch habit...but hey crack kills!

KJ
    I like most of that design, but for me the crown is a deal breaker - that's an accident waiting to happen. Every time I look at one like that I think of something shearing it right off.