User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 26 of 112 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Geezus, let's hope not. The ramifications are not inconsequential. But that discussion is for the other thread.
    and you thought I was joking on your housing thread the other week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    All restaurants, cafe, shops closed in France, only pharmacy, grocery shopping and fuel remain open.
    same in Spain but somehow only starting from next monday.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Now is as good a time as any to undertake some necessary home projects. Not going out much except to do my shopping and other things that don't involve much contact with others.

Bought a 29-year old townhouse last fall and knew there were some things that needed cleaning but didn't know how badly. Now I know. The original ceiling fan in my master bath is now clean but this is what I encountered when I climbed up the ladder. Almost as terrifying as the virus.

But these projects are undertaken alone and are badly needed, as with the case of this ceiling fan. All the hardware has been reattached using NFS grease.

Jim, your pants look like they are about to run away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    BTW, one friend is a MD/PhD at a local world-renowned hospital. They're shutting down research labs and the labs are donating supplies so the hospital can make its own testkits. "It's easy!" But I heard there's a shortage of a necessary chemical? I got an eyeroll...
    Nope. Most of the leading academic teaching hospitals in the US (incl. mine) have had their own test kits ready to for a while (9 days for ours), but we have not received the go ahead from CDC to use them. Nothing to do with chemicals.

Most NE teaching hospitals have stopped elective surgery and we are preparing ORs in addition to ICUs to take care of patients.

I am busy these days beyond the normal for obvious reasons, so I won't contribute here again.

If you want actual info rather than CNN blah blah google watch the Boston response Grand Rounds:
    22.3.12 A Coordinated Boston Response to COVID19

Out.
    Last edited by CXinNH; 03-14-2020 at 04:54 PM. Reason: link

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coronabonus: just got in from a nice 50 miler+. About half as many cars on the road as usual, even in the rural areas. Since most of us here are most likely to die prematurely from a texting moron, it's a plus.

Commenting briefly from my perspective as a doc and health care administrator, I think (apolitically) that we've made a positive turn over the last couple of days. The right measures are in place or the moment. It will be a moving target so some further travel/restaurant/etc. restrictions may become necessary. I expect spread, but the deaths will be far less than the 18,000+ we've had from the 'regular' flu and the overwhelming majority of them will be in the frail with pre-existing limitations on life expectancy. Mortality here will be far less than the 3-4% thrown around last week.

I'm pleased by how the public has responded but disappointed that the media (everyone, even the WSJ) continues to sensationalize rather than objectively inform. In my corner of the world, people seem to be rallying and doing the right thing. Social distancing, self-quarantining when necessary, etc. I was a little worried about how society would respond as our mettle hasn't really been tested for a long time and we're politically polarized. In an ass-backwards way, this might bring some measure of social unity. But I'm an optimist and just finished a great ride.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at 10pm, all spanish people went at their window and balcony to clap their hands for a few minutes as a thank you to the healthcare workers.

That was quite emotional.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 03-14-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post
    Nope. Most of the leading academic teaching hospitals in the US (incl. mine) have had their own test kits ready to for a while (9 days for ours), but we have not received the go ahead from CDC to use them. Nothing to do with chemicals.

Most NE teaching hospitals have stopped elective surgery and we are preparing ORs in addition to ICUs to take care of patients.

I am busy these days beyond the normal for obvious reasons, so I won't contribute here again.

If you want actual info rather than CNN blah blah google watch the Boston response Grand Rounds:

Out.
    Thanks to you, and all the medical folks here. You're our front line, and we will owe you a lot!

I used to mountain bike with Bruce. He's just the nicest, most modest guy. I probably knew him for a year before I had any idea about his professional accomplishments.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post

Out.
    Thank you for sending the link. I had to go to the office this afternoon, and was able to watch a third of the content as I planned my agenda for the next few days. Boy has that list changed from two weeks ago. In any event, the video was very informative. I'll watch the balance tonight after I tuck the kids in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slwrnu View Post
    good question TT. I am lucky enough to know quite a few of the young ski instructors and bar staff, just because I have been coming so long. I mainly know their parents .. So I hope the word will grow organically. Since the internet began it has quickly been abused. The virus thing and the way we can help each other in the delay phase is perfect for the internet. And/or you could set up a whatsapp group. I am semi retired but still do work stuff on my laptop in different timezones. So it is quite easy for me to prepare food in the late afternoon and then drive around. I have thought about food shortages and other essentials and we could easily take some of that around. The lady who runs the local supermarket said she will do her best to support. regards
    Go to heaven three times. Good thinking to use social media. That will work for my immediate neighborhood.

No kidding regarding reduced traffic. I rode to see the DC Cherry Blossoms. On any given day the Tidal Basin would be mobbed with touristas. Today, I had free roaming rights.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-14-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

easy call, don't go.

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    Looking for advice from the hive. Family supposed to go on Spring Break beginning this coming Wednesday to Hollywood Florida (which by the way has the highest number of cases in FL as of this morning) for 1 week.

This would be my wife and I and 2 teenage girls. Taking a domestic flight to Fort Lauderdale and staying in an Airbnb high rise condo unit. Our plans for the week were really to hang out on the beach, probably go out to eat once per day, make some meals in the condo, and maybe do 1 or 2 other tourist activities during the week.

My lovely wife works really hard, loves the beach, hates the winter and has been looking forward to this vacation for some time. She deserves it.

I don't think it is a good idea to go and am ready to cancel. Besides the risk of infection that we would be putting ourselves in and the greater public good of social distancing, I worry about what could happen as the situation escalates during the week we are there. I don't want to be quarantined in some high rise condo for a couple of weeks, or have domestic flights shut down (although we could always drive back home to IL).

But I am not really a sit on the beach for a week type of person. I go on this vacation for my family, and try my best to keep myself occupied for a week. So I worry that I am biased in this decision on whether to go or not.

As far as I have seen, no official sources has recommended that you suspend domestic travel. But please share any official, non-biased recommendations that you have seen to help my family make the appropriate decision in regards to this trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    at 10pm, all spanish people went at their window and balcony to clap their hands for a few minutes as a thank you to the healthcare workers.

That was quite emotional.
    That's a sort of contagiousness we could all use.

Italians Find ‘a Moment of Joy in This Moment of Anxiety’ - The New York Times

Favorite photo from the above:

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious..

For those who are leaving the city do you consider that you might possibly be asymptomatic and unknowingly bringing the virus with you to the country?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by takashi View Post
    I'm curious..

For those who are leaving the city do you consider that you might possibly be asymptomatic and unknowingly bringing the virus with you to the country?
    Valid question my friend. We all need to take a breath and consider others....than rage on in our own (safe) ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious..

Why are you just curious? I think no matter where you go, you have to keep that possibility in mind. You shouldn't be curious. You should know this is a possibility.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-14-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are you just curious? I think no matter where you go, you have to keep that possibility in mind. You shouldn't be curious. You should know this is a possibility.
    Oh, I know it's a possibility.

As I said I am curious about those who leave the city for the country and whether they have considered the possibility that they are unknowingly bringing the virus with them.

Based on your response it sounds like you know it's a possibility and you are ok with that.

Am I misunderstanding you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not okay with that. I would much rather not have to be considerate and conscious of my impact on others. But this is life. So one’s impact on others is something that must be addressed individually and daily. The seriousness of our current moment simply underlines what is always there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I’m not okay with that. I would much rather not have to be considerate and conscious of my impact on others. But this is life. So one’s impact on others is something that must be addressed individually and daily. The seriousness of our current moment simply underlines what is always there.
    My son has an apartment in an adjacent town. The apartment does not have a washer and dryer so he does his laundry here. He works in a retail craft store, and his stories from the last week are amazing (like management asking cashiers to pay for hand sanitizer). Today the store was invaded by parents and kids getting supplies for the coming weeks with schools closed.

My wife has respiratory issues, and drug allergies that would certainly complicate treatment.

Tonight he came to the door to pick up his clothes, and eggs from a friend's chickens, and said he won't be back until things cool off. We should all think outside our immediate circles for the ripple effects. Economically too. We're all connected, and we're all in this together.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious..

You mean like the wife of a primary contact with the infected lawyer in NY who tries to go to hot yoga, or the family who returns from Italy to the UK, but instead of quarantining, brings their child to day-care .....

Or all the Italians who fled on the autostrada to spead all over Italy?

Exactly what you are not suppose to do

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does look like we are moving in the right direction although with all things, this government continues to claim gas, rocket, mars.

My question is ramping of testing. Korea and Japan have been trying to ramp testing for a while now, and they are at 10,000 per day. I read the throughput of the Roche Machines, and the number in the states but somehow complicated technology is never implemented smoothly. I think people will get frustrated by delays in getting their test results back. The swapping is the easy part.

On one other rant note, mental health experts want to people to have empathy for those affected by this since it is no fault of their own. While on talk radio, nutcase and medal of freedom Rush Limbaugh, continues to mock and stoke anxiety. Such bullsh!t. I listened on friday for 30 minutes which was my mental limit, it was beyond the pale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone don their hat for Vertical Doug. He listens to Rush so we do not have to. Son, you will never pay for a drink in my presence.

People are good, we are all going to get past this together. This, whatever it is, will most certainly not be the most challenging thing we experience in our lives.

Let's talk gas pump strategy (insert small self deprecating chuckle).
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-15-2020 at 04:55 AM.