User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internal Cable Routing: Styles, Pros & Cons...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Internal Cable Routing: Styles, Pros & Cons...

I've just tried bonding a titanium tube through a carbon top tube. I'm going to run continuous casing though, no stops or bare cable. Full casing may be heavier but no friction or contamination issues.

back40 bicycleworks

Glen J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by datas_brother View Post
    isn't that just tubing with an ID of 5.5mm?
    No- it's a stepped ferrule.

I do jet ports, flush mount, braze ons, full length, stepped etc. based on the needs of the bike. They all work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but I'm considering trying this out, and I've got some questions. I've found sources for stainless brake line, but it seems like brass is the more common material of choice for this, so do you all just use Nova as a supplier? Why do folks use brass instead of stainless? I guess it seems like stainless would last longer, but I'm curious if folks have other reasons. Thanks much for any and all help!
    Last edited by Brendon Potts; 03-03-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think "lasting" is really an issue with brass. Either will survive as long as the bike does. My guess is folks are using brass because it's easier to bend and line up than stainless, but would be curious to find out if I'm off base there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Potts View Post
    Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but I'm considering trying this out, and I've got some questions. I've found sources for stainless brake line, but it seems like brass is the more common material of choice for this, so do you all just use Nova as a supplier? Why do folks use brass instead of stainless? I guess it seems like stainless would last longer, but I'm curious if folks have other reasons. Thanks much for any and all help!
    The problem with brass is corrosion/oxide forming inside, good to spray some protective wax
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a chat with a respected builder a few years back who told me he had switched from brass to stainless for internal cable runs inside the top tube because he had had some early bikes of his come back with internal brass cable tunnels that had fatigue cracked and broken. He told me that none of the stainless ones have ever come back with any issues.

Not suggesting that that's a definitive or necessarily meaningful sample size of course, just passing it along, fyi.

Alistair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had a similar discussion with I think the same builder. One of my early employers in the business only used the Nova internal kit. I installed lots of them It worked fine. When I hung out my own shingle I made the switch to stainless. I see no reason to use anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I anneal the brass tube to soften it before I install the cable run.

Makes it easier to give it a nice bend and should reduce the risk of any cracking down the track

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had to repair/replace a few of the brass tubes, but every one had the hole pop up on top of the tube in the perfect location to collect sweat. Location location location; is what they say about real estate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to revive an ancient thread again, but I was looking for the elusive video of H. Hirose winding wire onto a steerer tube for his internal dynamo routing method* and came across this one of him installing a brake cable in the top tube: . I learnt more in the first four minutes than in hours of reading and headscratching.

* if anyone knows where this is, do let me know. I'm pretty sure it's on this build (ランドナーの製作) but there are 110 videos in the series...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an unrelated safety tip from that video- avoid knit gloves with rotary tools such as drills. A snagged glove can result in a some pretty serious injuries. Knit gloves are great for heat and some cutting concerns, but can snag and be pulled into spinning bits, locking your hand against the tool, possibly breaking fingers, de-sheathing, etc. If you must wear gloves with rotary tools consider leather or similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Just an unrelated safety tip from that video- avoid knit gloves with rotary tools such as drills. A snagged glove can result in a some pretty serious injuries. Knit gloves are great for heat and some cutting concerns, but can snag and be pulled into spinning bits, locking your hand against the tool, possibly breaking fingers, de-sheathing, etc. If you must wear gloves with rotary tools consider leather or similar.
    Oh yeah, good point. Especially with super-strong high temp resistant gloves made of Kevlar, etc. Deglove sartorially or be degloved medically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it just rips a glove off your hand, you will be phenomenally lucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Degloving is a technical medical term and refers to more than taking your gloves off. It often involves turning several layers of skin inside out. Not the kind of thing which happens to people who are phenomenally lucky.
    Dan Bromilow - 2 frames down, hopefully more to come...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"sartorially"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll also note that I've had co-workers that experienced all of these, so it's not just a theoretical danger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hudson View Post
    To get this thread off the morbid tangent... Thanks for posting this video link! Cool to see it in action. Though it seemed he was rather light on the flux (imho).
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    I had a chat with a respected builder a few years back who told me he had switched from brass to stainless for internal cable runs inside the top tube because he had had some early bikes of his come back with internal brass cable tunnels that had fatigue cracked and broken. He told me that none of the stainless ones have ever come back with any issues.

Not suggesting that that's a definitive or necessarily meaningful sample size of course, just passing it along, fyi.

Alistair.
    I have not done one of these in a while but I did have one of my brass internal tubes fatigue on me. Luckily it was a TT that was sitting on the shelf for about a year. I went to braze the frame together and happened to notice the issue. (easily could have not noticed!)

I determined that it was user error and when I was fishing the tube through it must have introduced a stressed area. I would suggest when you are fishing it through the you go for a relaxed fit. Don't fight it and use a piece of housing in the brass tube while fishing to keep things rigid.

Having said all that...Ill be using stainless when I do this again.
    Hale Sramek
    halekai machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 2c about using a standard drilling bit for enlarging holes: not a good idea. The two cutting faces of a drill bit will inevitably get the hole to veer off one side, there is a reason why a three-sided bit is used for this purpose.

Also, for the rear brake is preferable to have the cable coming from the bottom of the tube a the front (by the bars), and leaving at the top by the rear (by the brake) side. If you look at that video between 3:25-3:30 you see the routing makes that cable to form a U-bend that ven if shallow and gentle, is still not as good as the cable going almost in a straight line.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    The two cutting faces of a drill bit will inevitably get the hole to veer off one side, there is a reason why a three-sided bit is used for this purpose.
    What is proper name for a 3-sided bit? I asked friend and he referred me to Startseite "MEGA-Spike-Drill-Uni" but there has to be a more common name for it. Right?
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast