User Tag List

Page 51 of 150 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Circling back...Flash that's not all of what I understand to be the things which might make mail in difficult. Apparently, States where it has been in use for a long time indicate voter education, ballot count training are all but a few seemingly simple things which take time and practice to get right.

Yeah of course voter fraud is a ridiculous accusation. Speak with facts not conjecture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Whereas a system focused on maximizing inclusion creates a significantly better sample size and a more accurate representation by definition, even with the plus-minus error factor.
    Not loosey goosey at all, it's maths. Simplez.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Not loosey goosey at all, it's maths. Simplez.
    I was told there would be no math.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if people who actually need the drug the president keeps hawking, who are now finding they can't get more (according to NY Times comment section) will have a legal option against him?

When I was in broadcasting, there was a tried and true answer to what the president is doing. Shut off the microphone.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Yet another reminder of the dumb bleeping choice the democrats made...

Elizabeth Warren on coronavirus, the presidency, and the economy - Vox
    Final quote of the interview...

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Warren
    Remember Ronald Reagan’s famous line? “The worst words in the English language are ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’” Those are not the worst words in the English language. We’ve seen during this crisis that among the worst words in the English language are, “We’re in a crisis and the government doesn’t have a plan to help us get out of it.”

The idea that somehow we’re all going to be better off with a government that doesn’t invest in science and in long-term planning has been shown not only to be wrong, but to be dangerous. I think that what the election in 2020 is going to be about, in part, is people who want a government that is competent and that is on their side in planning for an uncertain future.
    This is spot on.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Circling back...Flash that's not all of what I understand to be the things which might make mail in difficult. Apparently, States where it has been in use for a long time indicate voter education, ballot count training are all but a few seemingly simple things which take time and practice to get right.

Yeah of course voter fraud is a ridiculous accusation. Speak with facts not conjecture.
    My rather flippant response didn't include those, but those are all hurdles that can be cleared. States can do this. It's not putting a man on the moon. And since every state already has an absentee ballot program, it's more a question of how quickly that can be ramped up and expanded (and yes, voters educated and whatnot) by November. It is a lot of work, and some of it may require statutory changes in state legislatures, but none of this is impossible.

The only impossibility and difficulty comes from, well, the political side of it. When one party's expressed platform is limiting the franchise for people, well, that's where the rub of it all is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post

This is spot on.
    But half the country doesn't seem to see it that way...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I wonder if people who actually need the drug the president keeps hawking, who are now finding they can't get more (according to NY Times comment section) will have a legal option against him?

When I was in broadcasting, there was a tried and true answer to what the president is doing. Shut off the microphone.
    any idea if pretend president dude has a buddy who owns the patent for this drug he keeps pimping? maybe kushner or his daughter lover own part of the company? whys he advertising so much?
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    I also am troubled by the intersection of these two facts..

1) that we have a President who stared into an eclipse and denies climate science hawking a drug he knows nothing about and there are people who take it as truth and a total solution.

2) according to teachers (in the NYT article) at least 50% of students who are supposed to login for remote learning during the shelter in place don’t even bother to login to class

2a) a scary number of students live in families (primarily with less economic resources) that do not have internet access so can not log in to remote learning

Where will this society be in a few short years? Will we dumb down even further to the point of non-existence and/or will America become a thing of the past?
    Have you seen Idiocracy? Closer now than ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was watching a film yesterday of Eleanor Roosevelt visiting troops in the South Pacific in WWII.
    All the top brass told her to stay away. She went anyway.
    Too bad we don't have this kind of leadership today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boris Johnson is in intensive care. :(. 6 month pregnant fiancée also has it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Warren
    Remember Ronald Reagan’s famous line? “The worst words in the English language are ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’” Those are not the worst words in the English language. We’ve seen during this crisis that among the worst words in the English language are, “We’re in a crisis and the government doesn’t have a plan to help us get out of it.”

The idea that somehow we’re all going to be better off with a government that doesn’t invest in science and in long-term planning has been shown not only to be wrong, but to be dangerous. I think that what the election in 2020 is going to be about, in part, is people who want a government that is competent and that is on their side in planning for an uncertain future.
    This is spot on.
    Some of us are probably old enough to remember the bumper stickers, circa 1974, that said, "Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts".

Dammit I love my senior senator.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Boris Johnson is in intensive care. :(. 6 month pregnant fiancée also has it.
    not good

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Bring the weed please! Gonna need that flower if this is true-
    Wow, wouldn't that be an amazing thing to see, if the gov't decides that this is the ticket, better than chloroquine and Z-pak.
    Imagine him saying "Its a beautiful answer."

One has to find humor somewhere.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    any idea if pretend president dude has a buddy who owns the patent for this drug he keeps pimping? maybe kushner or his daughter lover own part of the company? whys he advertising so much?
    I've been thinking the same thing. There is no other reason why he and Fox would be pushing it this hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump is thinking of Boris.

"We’re very saddened to hear that [Johnson] was taken into intensive care this afternoon, a little while ago, and Americans are all praying for his recovery. He’s been a really good friend. He’s been really something very special: strong resolute; doesn’t quit; doesn’t give up.

And I’ve asked two of the leading companies – these are brilliant companies. Ebola, Aids, they’ve come with the solutions and just have done incredible jobs – and I’ve asked them to contact London immediately. They’ve really advanced therapeutics ... and they have arrived in London already, the London office has whatever they need.

We’ll see if we can be of help. We’ve contacted all of Boris’s doctors, and we’ll see what is going to take place, but they are ready to go.

But when you get brought into intensive care, that gets very, very serious with this particular disease.

So, the two companies are there. And with what they are talking about, and it’s rather complex and has had really incredible results. We’re working with the FDA and everybody else but we are working with London with respect to Boris Johnson."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    I've been thinking the same thing. There is no other reason why he and Fox would be pushing it this hard.
    Not everything needs to be a conspiracy. Sometimes you just need to ramble about how smart you are.

Bayer originally developed the drug. It is off patent. Teva makes it in generic form. Both companies have supplied millions of doses to FEMA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Trump is thinking of Boris.

"We’re very saddened to hear that [Johnson] was taken into intensive care this afternoon, a little while ago, and Americans are all praying for his recovery. He’s been a really good friend. He’s been really something very special: strong resolute; doesn’t quit; doesn’t give up.

And I’ve asked two of the leading companies – these are brilliant companies. Ebola, Aids, they’ve come with the solutions and just have done incredible jobs – and I’ve asked them to contact London immediately. They’ve really advanced therapeutics ... and they have arrived in London already, the London office has whatever they need.

We’ll see if we can be of help. We’ve contacted all of Boris’s doctors, and we’ll see what is going to take place, but they are ready to go. Another way to look at it, is he takes nuggets of truth and embellishes it with bullshit. But dig threw the bullshit and there is a nugget there.

But when you get brought into intensive care, that gets very, very serious with this particular disease.

So, the two companies are there. And with what they are talking about, and it’s rather complex and has had really incredible results. We’re working with the FDA and everybody else but we are working with London with respect to Boris Johnson."
    He is probably referring to Gilead and their development of AIDS anti viral Remdesivir which the Chinese also tried against C19. The other one is GlaxoSmithKline which is a British Company.

Gilead already was rallying in Feb on back of Chinese news regarding using the anti-viral. Teva also rallied in Feb when Chinese were trying Chloroquine. SmithKline and the relation to Ebola I have no idea about except maybe they are the second company the FDA approved to begin C19 vaccine trials after JJ. They announced a link up with Vir.

Trump is usually just a bunch of sound bites cobbled together in no particular order. You just need to parse out the reality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    There's always a grift angle with this administration, but it's also as simple as everyone said he's a moron to his face about this drug. The man never admits he's wrong, so he's just going to keep repeating it until either it becomes true or the heat death of the universe happens.

My money's on entropy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there are any Wisconsin residents here, now is the time to think about stepping up and working the polls tomorrow. The Supreme Court of the United States just said the primary is going ahead.

I don't think they'll take me since I'm a Minnesotan, but I just emailed their contact to volunteer.

More info: Wisconsin Needs Poll Workers to Deal with COVID-19 Situation | Wisconsin Elections Commission