Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Texas

Roster of senators on the NRA take per the Brady organization, as of 2019 or 2020: https://elections.bradyunited.org/ta...gress-senators

Florida's own Lil'Marco is in 6th place at only $3.3 million!

No pithy comment required for thinking people; no point in it for the others.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't help pick up on the fact that Hispanics make up approximately 80% of Uvalde yet the political leadership doesn't seem to reflect this make up -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hispanic is an interesting term. Kind of like Oriental in a world where Asians have very little social, economic and political capital and self-identify as European. So, it’s problematic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Hispanic is an interesting term. Kind of like Oriental in a world where Asians have very little social, economic and political capital and self-identify as European. So, it’s problematic.
    what you would prefer? Latino? I was aware of Oriental . Till now I've yet to hear that saying Hispanic was considered offensive. My apologies if you were offended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    what you would prefer? Latino? I was aware of Oriental . Till now I've yet to hear that saying Hispanic was considered offensive. My apologies if you were offended.
    "The preferred nomenclature is Mexican, Chicano or Latino, depending on national origin and degree of personal obfuscation."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s complicated and all identifiers are, um, lacking.

Latino is generally the most comprehensive or inclusive.

Latinx is kind of more grammatical and gender neutral.

The victims of the school shooting would likely identify as Tejanos or Mexican-Americans. Academics would call them Chicano.

Hispanic is a governmental, administrative descriptor and to many young Latinx it connotes self hatred and systematic racism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing up in small town central Texas, playing Uvalde on Friday nights, the only descriptor I grew up knowing was Mexican.

Dad’s family? Mexican. Me? Half Mexican. Friends? Mexican. Friend who grew up in Uvalde and went to school at Robb? Mexican. I guess that’s small-town naivety.

Regardless, my little cousin is a DPS trooper working the border, based out of Uvalde. She just posted today that she arrived late to the scene, and responded as she was told - barricaded suspect.

In her words:

I responded from 2 counties over and I wish I could’ve been there sooner. I don’t know if I would’ve made a difference at all but I do know I wouldn’t of [sic] waited outside and treated it as a barricaded subject when children lives were at risk. Law enforcement you failed in the biggest way. As an officer you take an oath. If you’re not willing to run into the fire, find a new career.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    I think the only people who have a problem with "Oriental" are Asian Americans. I don't know of any non-American Orientals who have a problem with the term. I'm an Oriental, and I'm from the Far East.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I think the only people who have a problem with "Oriental" are Asian Americans. I don't know of any non-American Orientals who have a problem with the term. I'm an Oriental, and I'm from the Far East.
    Thank you for this. Side note and thread drift: I used the term Orient in a 1991 RS ad, the text of which made it into two different RS brochures that decade. To this day, when I post about these and add screenshots, invariably some woke know-it-all punk hipster has to school me in the comment section and inform me that Orient is not a PC term.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Thank you for this. Side note and thread drift: I used the term Orient in a 1991 RS ad, the text of which made it into two different RS brochures that decade. To this day, when I post about these and add screenshots, invariably some woke know-it-all punk hipster has to school me in the comment section and inform me that Orient is not a PC term.
    They need to get their heads out of their arses. If it is problematic to have the notion of "east" linked with the region, Japan would have to rename itself. (For those who are unfamiliar, the Japanese name of the country, Nihon or Nippon, means "where the sun rises". Last time I checked, that's the east.)

So why doesn't the term "the West" or "Westerners" get their knickers in a knot, I wonder.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need to get their heads out of their arses. If it is problematic to have the notion of "east" linked with the region, Japan would have to rename itself. (For those who are unfamiliar, the Japanese name of the country, Nihon or Nippon, means "where the sun rises". Last time I checked, that's the east.)

So why doesn't the term "the West" or "Westerners" get their knickers in a knot, I wonder.
    As Elenaor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're Oriental to a European, you're a quantum occidental to an American.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Ha! When I use Latinx on the Twitterz, frequently I'll be reminded that according to surveys "Hispanics" in the United States (97% of them, at least) hold the term in disdain. These individuals are generally Republicans, lack Spanish fluency or "Latinos" from Cuba or South American countries where whiteness is more, um, preserved. Less mestizaje and all that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what you get when you google hispanic vs latino

Hispanic refers to individuals who are Spanish-speaking or have a background in a Spanish-speaking country. Latino refers to those who are from or have a background in a Latin American country. These terms encompass culture, ethnicity, and identity and are rooted in shared cultures and not racial categories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fastupslowdown, this is better:
    https://www.abc10.com/article/news/c...0-4c3d7f9bafa6

SACRAMENTO, Calif — Throughout the last half-century in the U.S., a number of pan-ethnic labels have been used to describe people who trace their roots to Latin America and Spain. Some of those terms include: Hispanic, Latino/a, Latinx, and Latine.

The U.S. federal government began using the term Hispanic in the 1970s after Mexican Americans and Hispanic organizations lobbied for the government to collect data on the population.

In 1976, Congress passed Public Law 94-311, requiring government agencies to collect information about U.S. residents of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central American, South American and other Spanish-speaking country origins.

The term Hispanic was first used in a full U.S. census in 1980. In 1990, the census asked people if they were of "Spanish/Hispanic origin or descent" and, if so, to choose "Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, or other Spanish/Hispanic." The term Latino appeared on the census form for the first time in 2000, alongside Hispanic.

According to the 2020 U.S. Census Bureau population estimate, there are more than 60 million Hispanics and Latinos living in the U.S. That's about 18 percent of the total population. California has the largest Hispanic and Latino population in the country, with more than 15 million people.

Notice that none of the individuals interviewed (video) self-identifies as Hispanic.

Just as all US, Canadian, Australian, NZ-born, English-speaking whites are not Anglos (Anglo-American, Anglo-Australian...), all Latinos are not "Hispanic." In CA alone, there are a few hundred thousand Mexican (and Central American) indigenous persons born in the United States who are not Spanish descended nor native Spanish speakers. They are not Hispanics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn’t this Edward Said and stuff? I mean, doesn’t “Oriental” refer to all of Asia… Tajikistan, Japan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Eastern Russia, China, Laos, etc.
    I feel like it was such a general term it was akin to equating Native North Americans as “Indian” and just rolling with it because they were close enough to folks from the Indian sub-continent.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think you are thinking like a European here. Nippon means Sun Origin, the Land of the Rising Sun is really a western romanticized notion which the Japanese will use. Before Japan was Nippon, it was either WA (和) or YAMATO for the Imperial Ruling family. Over time to cement the myth of the Emperor being a descendant of the Sun-Goddess (Amaterasu Okami), Nippon was probably used. Marco Polo recorded it as Cipangu (日本國) Mandarin reading, which from the Chinese point of view, Japan was- Country of Sun Origin since it lies east. Or maybe we argue this is all shaped by the Japanese use of the Chinese Characters- and all of this is just a random choice by some buddhist monk 2000 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    Isn’t this Edward Said and stuff? I mean, doesn’t “Oriental” refer to all of Asia… Tajikistan, Japan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Eastern Russia, China, Laos, etc.
    I feel like it was such a general term it was akin to equating Native North Americans as “Indian” and just rolling with it because they were close enough to folks from the Indian sub-continent.
    In terms of geography, I think you're right: anything east of Europe, starting from Turkey or thereabouts. In terms of people, I think Oriental is another term for those of Chinese ethnicity, which is another can of worms so shall we just say "yellow"?

On the Indian bit, I don't think it was to do with physical resemblance between Americans and Indians. The bumbling idiots set out to reach India by heading West in order to prove that the Earth is round, and when they crossed the Atlantic, they thought they landed in India. Or, did I get that confused?
    Chikashi Miyamoto