User Tag List

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Boots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots

Winter Bicycles is located in an old (1927) Pennsylvania brassworks. I still use some brass that likely came from this facility. Unfortunately the original plant closed in 2007, and there is still evidence of that last shift. I decided to resole a pair of metatarsal guard Redwings and put them back to work. @ Winter Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I might need a pair of these for the beach. Frye now makes their Prison Boot in a pull-on version.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked them out in person? I bought some Frye sneakers that seem great (for boot weight sneakers), and my wife has some ankle boots that seem solid, but the leather in her calf boots is meh. I like the look of the lace up Prison boot, but for the money (and my narrow foot) I'm tempted to add to the kitty and go for another pair of Wesco.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My love affair with Frye is over. My first pair of boots was/is great. My first pair of shoes was great. My second pair was meh. My third pair fell apart while at work and I had to hobble to my car with one functional shoe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are called Jodphur Boots Jorn. They were/are ment as a riding boot. What you do with them is at your discretion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solomon X ULTRA TREK GTX

The summer version of the winter boot I was so taken with (but down 1 full size???). Great grip, wide toe box, slim heal (no slipping!),great ankle support, feather weight. Happy happy joy joy!
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This year I single-handedly kept snow away from the St Louis area by buying a pair of "emergency boots" and tossing them in the back of the car.

I think 2" was the most we ever got at one time, and none of it lasted more than a day or so. I never even came close to needing the boots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing beats a solid pair of leather boots for versatility. i've been beating on this pair pretty hard lately, light hiking, working in the yard, and clean up well enough for business casual any day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    nothing beats a solid pair of leather boots for versatility. i've been beating on this pair pretty hard lately, light hiking, working in the yard, and clean up well enough for business casual any day.
    Those look nice. What are they. I love my Red Wing Heritages but can always be convenced to change for the right boot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my eyes on these

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Have you checked them out in person? I bought some Frye sneakers that seem great (for boot weight sneakers), and my wife has some ankle boots that seem solid, but the leather in her calf boots is meh. I like the look of the lace up Prison boot, but for the money (and my narrow foot) I'm tempted to add to the kitty and go for another pair of Wesco.
    I pretty much just buy the prison boot. These are probably 13 and 15 years old. Each has been resoled once and reheeled a couple times each. So perhaps if I get new ones, I won't be as happy, but so far they've been fine. The ones on the left are narrows actually, while the ones on the right are whatever their "normal" width is. Narrow boots are hard to find, and the only reason I got these was because we have an acquaintance who is a designer at Frye and told me to order direct and request narrow. But I don't think that's possible any longer, and that's why I've been looking at this slip-on version but not pulled the trigger yet. Plus the price. The prison boot used to be just under $200, then about $250 or $285, and now they are $378?! Doesn't make any sense. And I think along with that, they've started using shoe leather rather than boot leather because no one buying them is doing any actual work, just "like work". But I guess all my boots used to have a shiny mark in the arch of the sole where the top of the shovel fit, and now there's no mark so I may not be testing durability that much either to be honest.

IMG_7708.jpg
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-28-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got these in December and really like them. Sierra Trading Post was blowing them out and I could not pass. Redwing Chelsea Rancher , which I think might have been a UK model not a US one.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, the irony is the guys working on actual job sites cutting actual wood and driving actual nails are probably wearing something that looks like one of these. Durable but with a focus on making the sole and heel comfortable over workday week after week after week.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Work boots and stylin' boots are usually pretty separate beasts. I use old hiking boots for chores, like these old merrels today.
    IMG_0667.jpg

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very particular about boots, and these are the most comfortable and useful I have ever worn. Hand-made Italian shoes and boots are as good as they get.

These are lined with Merino fleece, with Vibram soles. The best boot for winter. I put a felt insole and haven't had any issue with the cold. Used them for snowshoeing.

I never want to be without a pair, so bought two. They were on sale at STP, in the neighborhood of 150$.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Alico made these. Traditional construction. Excellent materials.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As we look toward fall, I've begun poking around for a pair of chelseas that could be worn with wool trousers, but still have a bit of rubber on the sole. They need to be dark brown or burgundy.

AE's Liverpool appears ideal, except for the color: Liverpool Chelsea Dress Boot by Allen Edmonds

Any suggestions for other, similar models that come in dark brown or burgundy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    As we look toward fall, I've begun poking around for a pair of chelseas that could be worn with wool trousers, but still have a bit of rubber on the sole. They need to be dark brown or burgundy.

AE's Liverpool appears ideal, except for the color: Liverpool Chelsea Dress Boot by Allen Edmonds

Frye Sawyers
    Sawyer Chelsea | Chelsea | Boots | Men

Church Weylan's

Access Denied

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

I wear trail running shoes or hiking boots 99% of the time, so take this for where it comes from, but I just don't see the attraction. If you want to look like you are wearing cowboy boots why not wear real cowboy boots? For a crew that prides itself on authenticity these things and their ilk just don't fit.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a thing for those Chelsea boots, I live in the mountains but still need to look snappy for work when I head down the mountain.

I got these a year or so ago and really dig them- Redwing Chelsea Rancher, which is a UK only shoe, but you can find it online sometimes.

I picked up a pair of Samuel Hubbard Crosstown Cowboys a few months back which I really like, but you need to go up a full size as they are snug.

-Joe