Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T-Day dishes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: T-Day dishes

Headed to bed last night and I hear my daughter’s ringtone on FaceTime. Hmm…a little late but she’s in the PNW so no big deal. I overheard “Mum…I’m having some trouble” on my wife’s iPad, so naturally I came back downstairs a little worried. “I picked up my turkey from the market and I found the neck but I can’t find the giblets” were the next words that I heard so my heartbeat settled down of course. For the next few minutes, I then proceeded to laugh my arse off, as she and my wife virtually scoped the turkey’s cavity with my daughter’s phone and indeed, they located the giblets. Footnote…this is her first solo turkey and it’s pretty cool to be hearing the banter back and forth over the past week or so, as two generations share the cooking traditions and experience. She’s having friends over for dinner, some who have never experienced a Thanksgiving dinner, so she’s really excited about the event.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Headed to bed last night and I hear my daughter’s ringtone on FaceTime. Hmm…a little late but she’s in the PNW so no big deal. I overheard “Mum…I’m having some trouble” on my wife’s iPad, so naturally I came back downstairs a little worried. “I picked up my turkey from the market and I found the neck but I can’t find the giblets” were the next words that I heard so my heartbeat settled down of course. For the next few minutes, I then proceeded to laugh my arse off, as she and my wife virtually scoped the turkey’s cavity with my daughter’s phone and indeed, they located the giblets. Footnote…this is her first solo turkey and it’s pretty cool to be hearing the banter back and forth over the past week or so, as two generations share the cooking traditions and experience. She’s having friends over for dinner, some who have never experienced a Thanksgiving dinner, so she’s really excited about the event.
    Asking new and old friends about their food traditions is my one varsity sport.
    Good stuff R.W. She learned from the master.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I'm making my mom's apple pie recipe (kinda apple crumbish), and we'll have the standard turkey, stuffing, sprouts, cranberries, et al. Carla has found a fall vegetable dish called Zucca in Agrodolce (squash marinated with onions and currants) from a new cookbook I got her by a couple chefs who own Via Carota in Manhattan. [Via Carota, by Jody Williams and Rita Sodi]. This cookbook is the absolute coolest, btw. Lots to learn and recipes to do.

P.S. Josh, I'd not do the pasta with pepper--too strong a starter and will color every other thing served, esp. the WINE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks R.W. Good call. I went shopping for better cheese and found some outstanding morsels. i'm set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our daughter’s progress shots of her apple pie.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PSA- Never Deep Fry a Frozen Turkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    I'm gonna make a pumpkin pie, and bring it nowhere.

I might just eat the whole damn thing just because it's a holiday!
    Remember I said I was gonna do it?

Well, I went to the grocery store and bought the pie filling, evaporated milk, and a pre-fab graham cracker pie crust.

Pie - 2.jpeg

Mixed up the batter and poured it in the shell. There was excess batter, so I dipped my finger in it for a taste.

I forgot the sugar! No big deal; I'll pour the batter back into the bowl, add the sugar, then pour it back into the shell.

It all went to plan until the crust slid from the pie tin into the batter.

Pie - 1.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review.

Hens. B-. Tasty, mushrooms soaked in Madeira pretty good but I've made chicken more impressive than that.
    Rice. B+. Pure wild rice would have done it but I couldn't get any so a blend. Orange zest/juice elevated well.
    Carrots. Solid A. Caramelized beautifully and panko/maple syrup/cayenne topping was real good.
    Oatmeal rolls. Not grading. I'm pissed. My mother in law is skinny as a rail at 92 years so we sent the leftovers of those home with her. I wanted them.
    Sweet potato pie. Homemade crust for the win. When the filling and the crust knock it out of the park and you top it with vanilla whip cream, well then.

And when I was making the pie I discovered we have half a bottle of Bib and Tucker bourbon down cellar. What are you thankful for? I know what I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our daughter’s progress shots of her apple pie.
    Oh my, a lattice pie with actual weaves!

Tried finding one for sale but wasn't able to. We may have to learn how to do this from scratch next year.

On the food front, braised lamb shank osso buco style. Still trying to optimize pre-braising frying conditions (the meat got "warped" this time), but we'll get two more chances this year at learning and perfecting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner had a main course of Wagyu bone in ribeye. It did not suck. The Cabernet made it suck even less.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20-somethings making their first turkey…there is hope in this world! The pumpkin pies stayed on our end of the country.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    We’re headed to my folks with my siblings et al. 16 mouths to feed, and our household is in charge of the turkey, antipast, and Wednesday night dinner

1. Padma Lakshmi turkey recipe. Buttermilk brine 18-24 hrs (though I go easy on the salt), slow roast 3-5 hrs with fennel, apple, orange, onion, rosemary, etc. then mash all down to make the gravy. Broil for last 30-ish minutes to crisp the skin.
    2. Mozzarella, salami, provolone, olives, roasted pepper, artichoke, etc.
    3. Farfalle in a white wine/butter/veg stock sauce with chicken, Italian sausage, broccolini, and sun dried tomatoes. Pine nuts are a good idea- will bring some of those too.
    Turkey and gravy came out perfectly, but the night before pasta stole the show.

Not nearly enough of the bird was eaten so I picked the carcass clean and brought the meat home. Turkey soup on the docket tomorrow.

Next year assuming we host (8-17ish people) I may skip a whole turkey and do a breast for tradition sake and maybe a smaller brisket or something
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Turkey and gravy came out perfectly, but the night before pasta stole the show.

Not nearly enough of the bird was eaten so I picked the carcass clean and brought the meat home. Turkey soup on the docket tomorrow.

Next year assuming we host (8-17ish people) I may skip a whole turkey and do a breast for tradition sake and maybe a smaller brisket or something
    Turkey soup is a gift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My wife made a few dozen anise pizzelle and mixed some mascarpone with honey. We had bowls of blueberries, chocolate chips, and peppermint bark. She calls them "open cannoli," so you spread the mascarpone mixture on the pizzelle, sprinkle your toppings, and eat it like a tostada.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My wife made a few dozen anise pizzelle and mixed some mascarpone with honey. We had bowls of blueberries, chocolate chips, and peppermint bark. She calls them "open cannoli," so you spread the mascarpone mixture on the pizzelle, sprinkle your toppings, and eat it like a tostada.
    OK...that's pretty decadent. Love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Turkey soup is a gift.

Yes it is. Smoked my Turkey this year and I think it made the Carcass broth darker and richer. Best Turkey soup I have made and I do it every year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smoked oysters with kimchi compound butter were excellent as always. Highly recommend.

PXL_20221126_000623204.jpg

PXL_20221126_000930762.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jo…please post that recipe!
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

M'gawd we can eat and cook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jo…please post that recipe!
    Sure. it's easy:

- place 1 stick soft butter in food processor
    - add good kimchi (I make Ed Lee's "fall" recipe - it's a pretty straightforward and solid recipe) to the running food processor - approx. 1/2 cup but you'll see it's enough when the liquid from the kimchi no longer gets incorporated
    - get grill ripping hot with wood (i use maple since that's what I have) - you want a thick bed of coals only, no flames
    - place oysters on grill, put on lid, vents open top and bottom
    - leave for approx one minute, just until butter starts bubbling on the first one, then remove each oyster as that starts to happen. don't overcook them. you just want to warm through the oyster slightly.
    - remove from grill, add chopped oniongrass (it's what's growing in my backyard) or chives.
    - eat while warm

enjoy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast