User Tag List

Page 76 of 174 FirstFirst ... 666768697071727374757677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 3471

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nato Strap

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    I am not a watch expert. What is a "Nato" strap?
    It's a long piece of woven nylon that goes underneath BOTH spring-bars so in order to loose the timing unit both bars would have to break. They have military heritage hence the name, the most famous of course is the "Bond" strap from Goldfinger though that is technically a MoD G10 or "Zulu" not a NATO. A true NATO strap has an extra loop of material to lock the timing unit into a fixed position on the strap.

Edit - Image added:

laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I random run-in with someone almost 10yrs ago has led to this. An IWC pilot is THE WATCH that got me into watches. Timepieces. It was never in the cards for me, though. At least, not while kids are in school, there’s a mortgage to pay, and bikes to be had. So, yeah. Never.

Until today. I reconnected with this person about a year ago. I always wanted to ask which he had that day when we first met, but that’s an odd question. Until you have a 9% beer and are a lightweight. It’s a good thing I had that beer. This was sent to me and delivered today. To have and to hold. All I have to do is send it in for service at some point, as it’s been a while. I don’t think it’s the one he was wearing when we met, but it IS an IWC pilot. And I’m at a total loss for words.

878F55FB-5933-4146-BF6F-FF4CEC7BE12E.jpg
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an awesome story, and even better on a Friday!
    Chris

Road, CX, Mountain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    My wife bought me a TAG that looks like yours, but the strap is a little different. After more than 20 years and a few batteries, it has kept perfect time. The locking mechanism is a little suspect. It slips on really bumpy roads on bike rides. I have had it adjusted a few times, but I just quit wearing any watch on a ride. It has always kept better time than my Rolexes.
    My bracelet has been solid as far as retention goes.
    Quartz: I much prefer automatics and manual winds, but you can't argue with the timekeeping performance of a quality quartz movement. My Tag is still accurate, and a mid-range Seiko I inherited is super accurate 40 years on...I certainly can't say that for the Omega or Rolex (even if they are more special).

Maybe this is why I want a spring drive....
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
    Maybe this is why I want a spring drive....
    I received my Spring Drive on May 31 and set the time to the atomic clock. It's been running continuously since then and I just checked it....it has gained 27 seconds.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd contact Seiko, that's way our of line for a spring drive. Aren't they supposed to be accurate to +/- 2 seconds a year or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonjr View Post
    I'd contact Seiko, that's way our of line for a spring drive. Aren't they supposed to be accurate to +/- 2 seconds a year or something?
    You must be thinking of some other movement. It's well within specs....Seiko says +/- 15 seconds per month. Caliber 9R65 | 9R SPRING DRIVE | MOVEMENT | ABOUT | Grand Seiko
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonjr View Post
    The 9F quartz movement is to within +/- 10 seconds per year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I random run-in with someone almost 10yrs ago has led to this. An IWC pilot is THE WATCH that got me into watches. Timepieces. It was never in the cards for me, though. At least, not while kids are in school, there’s a mortgage to pay, and bikes to be had. So, yeah. Never.

Until today. I reconnected with this person about a year ago. I always wanted to ask which he had that day when we first met, but that’s an odd question. Until you have a 9% beer and are a lightweight. It’s a good thing I had that beer. This was sent to me and delivered today. To have and to hold. All I have to do is send it in for service at some point, as it’s been a while. I don’t think it’s the one he was wearing when we met, but it IS an IWC pilot. And I’m at a total loss for words.

878F55FB-5933-4146-BF6F-FF4CEC7BE12E.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IWC is my absolute favorite watch brand. Hands down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone here have an IWC Pilot Mark XVIII ? Which flavor, and how do you like it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Anyone here have an IWC Pilot Mark XVIII ? Which flavor, and how do you like it?

I tried on a few and while I really like them, I have never been comfortable with a leather strap (or any non metal bracelet) but that is an issue with all leather straps and not this one. The one issue that someone noted to me is that all of the watches (see white one below) have the date window to the left and not aligned well with the 2 and 4 so it looks a bit off (even more in person) except the titanium case watch which uses a different dial/face (see below). And well, it's titanium and looks great with a brown leather strap so of course as a bike enthusiast that is the one you should get.

Although for basically the same price I would go for the Tudor Black Bay (i.e. baby Rolex) which comes in several variations (Black Bay 58 shown below).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll second the Tudor Black Bay recommendation, they are REALLY nice watches!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    I've been trying to make myself checkout the MKII Paradive in my cart for well over a month and can't seem to do it. I certainly want it but I have bailed at shipping options several times.
    Update on this: For better or worse I finalized my order yesterday.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m loving my Black Bay Chrono these days. They’re really nice watches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    except the titanium case watch which uses a different dial/face (see below). And well, it's titanium and looks great with a brown leather strap so of course as a bike enthusiast that is the one you should get.
    Thanks. In fact, the Ti "Heritage" model is the one that caught my eye, but I'm not sure I like the blued hands. I'll have to check one out in person, then decide if it's worth the difference in price over say, a Sinn 556.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    Update on this: For better or worse I finalized my order yesterday.
    Smashing the "like" button only to enable the disease.

Clock on bro!!!

-Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. In fact, the Ti "Heritage" model is the one that caught my eye, but I'm not sure I like the blued hands. I'll have to check one out in person, then decide if it's worth the difference in price over say, a Sinn 556.
    You are in two very different price categories:
    IWC Mark XVIII - Is about $3950 for steel case and $4150 for the Ti/Heritage Model
    Tudor Black bay about $3250 depending on which model (IMHO, a so much better choice than the Mark XVIII for the money)
    Sinn556 is about $1100

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are in two very different price categories:
    IWC Mark XVIII - Is about $3950 for steel case and $4150 for the Ti/Heritage Model
    Tudor Black bay about $3250 depending on which model (IMHO, a so much better choice than the Mark XVIII for the money)
    Sinn556 is about $1100
    Yup. And since I currently prefer the aesthetics of the 556, I think it may be a relatively easy choice over the Mark 18.

I'm sure true watch aficionados who know all about the movements in each watch would have some good reasons to prefer the IWC over the Sinn, but I'm not smart enough to know the difference, and my wallet will appreciate that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. And since I currently prefer the aesthetics of the 556, I think it may be a relatively easy choice over the Mark 18.

I'm sure true watch aficionados who know all about the movements in each watch would have some good reasons to prefer the IWC over the Sinn, but I'm not smart enough to know the difference, and my wallet will appreciate that.
    I think a "true" watch aficionado would tell you that the most important thing is to get what you want so it sounds like you are making the best choice. Is this it...

And, I would not get caught up in "higher price equals better quality" nonsense as almost any watch aficionado will tell you the Tudor shown above is better looking and better quality than the IWC Mark XVIII yet it costs less. If you want to read about one of the best values for money, read what Hodinkee writes about a Sieko 5 watch that costs less than a $100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to read about one of the best values for money, read what Hodinkee writes about a Sieko 5 watch that costs less than a $100.
    Speaking of Seiko 5's, I have a story about mine.

A while back, although I know nothing about regulating watches (other than having a timegrapher, which is neat to play with every now and then), I decided to try to tweak my SKX007 because the 7S26 movement had never been terribly accurate from the start when it was new, and it had gotten to point where it was loosing about a minute a day. Even though the SKX007 isn't that expensive, I looked around for a beater with a 7S26 on which I could practice first and got a nice Seiko 5 on the ADV forum. It turned out that the "beater" only lost about a second or so a day and keeps the best time of all of my auto's, so I haven't dared to mess with it. The watch is in very good shape, with no significant scratches. Judging from a few tool marks on the caseback, I'm guessing that someone opened it, did a very good job of regulating it, and it's now part of my normal rotation.