Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1640

Thread: irrational fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

Anything involving the name Boeing makes the news. Losing a wheel, short of a material failure, is on maintenance. Even then, and this is based only on my naval aviation experience, there are periodic inspections of landing gear assemblies to look for metal fatigue or damage. Hornets measure g-forces on landing and trigger a maintenance inspection if a certain force is exceeded. On my 2003 OIF deployment, we had a reserve squadron composed of airline pilots. Either they would flare early and hover down the deck before going around or catch the one wire (bad) by slamming into the flight deck. For the first month, the reserve squadron constantly had aircraft on the jacks in the hangar bay.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    It happens more often than we'd like to think. As a kid living in Miami, I vividly remember a wheel coming off a 747 on its takeoff roll. The wheel/tire rolled into an employee parking lot, destroying a vehicle.

Greg
    This was found to be the result of using aluminum open-cam skewers. They’ve subsequently changed to steel thru axles.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alaska Airlines safety update video…humor.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2a71...FvMnZhaGNwMQ==
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Alaska Airlines safety update video…humor.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2a71...FvMnZhaGNwMQ==
    I'm sure Jim has some good stories. My favorite safety briefings:

1) "Sit down, strap in, shut up, and hang on."

2) (in a small plane where the pilot gives the briefing) "As pilot-in-command, I will be the last person to exit the aircraft in the event of an emergency. If I say "EXIT THE AIRCRAFT!" and you say "What?", consider yourself pilot-in-command.

Here's the full video from SNL:

And another classic...

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Air France wins for current best safety announcement. I've noticed that people watch it. Which is what they are for.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best part is the request to open your window shade during takeoff. What is with people who close the shade during takeoff …
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this article interesting. While I'm not conversant with the inner workings and related details, the 40,000 ft view of the results of a corporation putting profit, Wall Street considerations (and C-Suite compensation/golden parachutes) ahead of product integrity and everything that supports it doesn't violate any first principles I'm aware of.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2024...apitalism.html
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“There’s always an aviation angle” says the podcast host in discussing the much anticipated flight of Taylor Swift from Tokyo to watch the Super Bowl the night after her concert. The transcript is available on the site too....sample. Saab...note the Southwest comment and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

There are roughly 700 spots for private aircraft between Las Vegas and Henderson and they're all full.

[0:06:22] JR: Who wants to be the hero? Who could be the hero into the headlines to say, “I
    gave up my private jet parking spot in Vegas for Taylor Swift. You're welcome.” That would be
    just a coup of a PR win for anyone. The most evil, sadistic person in the world can do that. Well,
    we'd all be like, “Yeah. All right, maybe this person's not so bad.”

[0:06:45] IP: I mean, that's an option. Here's what I think will happen, and I'm saying this just to
    put this out there, in case I'm right, and also, in case I'm wrong and we can talk about one way
    or the other. I think what will happen is, I think, she'll fly to Los Angeles.

[0:06:58] JR: Okay. And then?

[0:06:59] IP: Because she's got plenty of time. Then it's an easy hop on any manner of mode of
    transportation from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

[0:07:10] JR: Even one of the many dozens of commercial flights a day. Wouldn't that be
    something?

[0:07:14] IP: I mean, can you imagine Taylor Swift being on Southwest?

[0:07:17] JR: No, I can't. I honestly cannot.

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/a...e=sendgrid.com
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Best part is the request to open your window shade during takeoff. What is with people who close the shade during takeoff …
    But, why does this shade business get up the crews nose? Surely you as the window passenger can determine when the shade is up or down? I'm pretty sure the plane will take off and land with a shade up or down. Another of life's enduring mysteries!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe this guy will be your pilot in 10-12 years. He passed all his simulator stuff and will be in the cockpit of a T-6 in a few weeks. He will fly out of Roswell, NM, about nine hours away. I'll probably take a bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    But, why does this shade business get up the crews nose? Surely you as the window passenger can determine when the shade is up or down? I'm pretty sure the plane will take off and land with a shade up or down. Another of life's enduring mysteries!
    Shades should be open during takeoff/landing to enable the cabin crew to see the outside environment in case of an emergency. They need to determine which exits are safest to use in case of fire, water landing, or other potential hazards. During daylight hours, the ambient light could be helpful if electrical power is lost. Lastly, open shade allow first responders to shine their lights through the windows if needed. I was a flight department safety officer early in my aviation management career.

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for letting me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are making all the expected noises, but this isn't encouraging, is it? Incorrectly drilled holes? Like a home project? Seriously?

Boeing may delay more 737 Max deliveries after incorrectly drilled holes found
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    People are making all the expected noises, but this isn't encouraging, is it? Incorrectly drilled holes? Like a home project? Seriously?

Boeing may delay more 737 Max deliveries after incorrectly drilled holes found
    On top of the leak of info that said that the door that blew off the plane had been previously removed for repair of rivets and then replaced, possibly without re-inspection - yes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/24/b...door-plug.html
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://airwaysmag.com/emirates-over...ng-production/

Maybe they should just be a contract builder to other peoples’ designs …

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So FAA is saying that the door came off because three out of four bolts required to hold the door on were not reinstalled after being removed for rivet repairs. And it might have been four out of four bolts were missing, because the fourth bolt is blocked from view in the photo. And that this was done (or not done) by Boeing.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as shit shows go, Boeing takes the cake and the cherry on top. Unbelievable.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not an aircraft mechanic but there are some here. I would think there should be a paper trail for this maintenance action, no? Date, time, mechanic? Can anyone who does have this background chime in? I am not that person.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I am not an aircraft mechanic but there are some here. I would think there should be a paper trail for this maintenance action, no? Date, time, mechanic? Can anyone who does have this background chime in? I am not that person.
    Company culture is as much important as processes.

If for example, someone realize he missed some specific check. How the company react when said error is found? Are employees safe to warn about these kinds of issue or would they fear losing their job? Is there a possibility they would falsify/cover things for fears of being blamed instead of warning the hierarchy and customers?

In most IT companies I have worked with we have introduced blameless postmortems and you are usually encouraged to share your own errors so they can be fixed asap and you will be rewarded for your openness regardless of who did mistakes, some companies even share postmortems publicly.

How does Boeing fare in that regard?
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-07-2024 at 08:53 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    As I understand from articles in the NYTimes, WashPo and Guardian, there should be a paper trail, but with the door plug specifically, there is a hole (no pun - sorry) in that paper trail between disassembly for the rivet repair and delivery to Alaskan.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-07-2024 at 09:02 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books