User Tag List

Page 30 of 97 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

Article in the Australian news today: the financial markets have turned on 45 and are now factoring in Biden winning in three weeks:

.abc.net.au/news:us-election-markets-predict-trump-loss
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Markets and Traders are like dogs chasing a ball. They can only chase one ball at a time and usually run after the last one thrown.

I think the current ball is larger stimulus hopes. The next ball will be earnings starting today... The election ball gets thrown next month...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because everything is political, this belongs here. One of my heros in real time is LeBron James AKA GOAT. Words matter, actions matter more.
    There are people in society who lead justly. Pay attention. Not all news is gloom and doom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    And that nasty woman didn't even thank the pResident for HIS justice department getting this done. Sad.

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    ...today that they foiled a dangerous plot against the Governor of Michigan. Rather than say thank you, she calls me a White Supremacist—while Biden and Democrats refuse to condemn Antifa, Anarchists, Looters and Mobs that burn down Democrat run cities..
    I couldn't find any reference to logos etc because everything was deleted. So I hope I am not making a false statement here...so I will just call it a "gee that's odd given what actions say and why would you wear that" moment.

This is from a screen grab of the Trump rally in Sanford Florida that has something that just caught my eye...is that a Wolverine Watchmen tee shirt on a guy in the front row?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jTTB74]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jTPd25]
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Article in the Australian news today: the financial markets have turned on 45 and are now factoring in Biden winning in three weeks:

.abc.net.au/news:us-election-markets-predict-trump-loss
    I actually do feel a little better after reading ^^^that. Thanks.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Because everything is political, this belongs here. One of my heros in real time is LeBron James AKA GOAT. Words matter, actions matter more.
    There are people in society who lead justly. Pay attention. Not all news is gloom and doom.

I live in Akron. Lebron has done an awful lot of good for the city. I appreciate that he recognizes that he was able to get out of poverty thanks to winning the genetic lottery and now that he's out he can use his platform to bring about real change in his community and get kids opportunities that otherwise wouldn't be available. He's not just paying lip service to various causes on social media or during interviews. He's not just making small donations to charity. He's forging large public-private partnerships that are having a real impact on the community.

Every once in a while I ride past the public school he had built. It is impressive. He basically went out to the education experts and said "what are the reforms you'd really like to see implemented into a public school to improve educational outcomes for impoverished youths?" and then he got the city to sign on to a pilot program. as it turns out, a lot of the real challenges facing underprivileged students are external to the classroom. when you do stuff that improves their access to food, stable housing, after school programs, and transportation it results in much better educational outcomes.

I wouldn't at all be surprised for him to pursue public office when his playing career is over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grateful for you picking up on this Zach.
    I'm 1000% sure that he should not pursue public office. His power is not constrained right now, let's keep it that way. Politics ruins everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Politics ruins everything.
    mama mia! that's the understatement of the century.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the sort of thing that keeps me up at night. Liberals hear all the dog whistling and overt racism from Republicans and think no one could ever vote for those people, they are shooting themselves in the foot. Meanwhile, the rate of Republican voter registration among non-college white men (i.e. economically frustrated to racial agnostics to actual racists) is outstripping Democrats in the key swing states where the tallies make or break the Electoral College totals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/14/o...gtype=Homepage

I am afraid the Democrats ability to convince themselves of the inherent righteousness of their arguments and the self-evident value of morality condemns them to repeat the same mistake of underestimating the power of simple addition. 1+1+1+1........
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-14-2020 at 09:03 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    This is the sort of thing that keeps me up at night. Liberals hear all the dog whistling and overt racism from Republicans and think no one could ever vote for those people, they are shooting themselves in the foot. Meanwhile, the rate of Republican voter registration among non-college white men (i.e. economically frustrated to racial agnostics to actual racists) is outstripping Democrats in the key swing states where the tallies make or break the Electoral College totals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/14/o...gtype=Homepage

I am afraid the Democrats ability to convince themselves of the inherent righteousness of their arguments and the self-evident value of morality condemns them to repeat the same mistake of underestimating the power of simple addition. 1+1+1+1........
    Don't make me sad.
    I read the same article and don't get it. TrumpJr et. al. spent the GOPs entire war chest on methods to, get this, raise funds. Mostly selling tee shirts, skimming PI from people's phones (cough) and hats yet the NYTs is claiming that they also managed to get out the vote?
    Say it ain't so 'cause I do not believe it.

Jake you should have sleepless nights over "herd immunity". I do not wish for you to not sleep of course, it's just that the W.H. just tossed out a shiny new ball and HEY!!! let's chase that MoFo. K?
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-14-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't make me sad.
    I read the same article and don't get it. TrumpJr et. al. spent the GOPs entire war chest on methods to, get this, raise funds. Mostly selling tee shirts, skimming PI from people's phones (cough) and hats yet the NYTs is claiming that they also managed to get out the vote?
    Say it ain't so 'cause I do not believe it.
    Doesn't mean they are doing so in a vacuum. Early voting and absentee voting supposedly is weighed heavily on the side of liberal voters, so potentially Biden supporters have registered AND voted earlier.

But the increased registration by non-college white men - who poll consistently as supporting Trump - parallels the growth of several false narratives:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/20...ted-falsehoods

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/t...pgtype=Article

The opinion piece I linked initially is looking at states where registering by party is possible, so the data is pretty clear who is registering when. Those states happen to be some of the swing states. Not all states allow registration by party, and not all voters who register, even recently registered voters, vote as often the process of registration is easier than the process of actually casting a vote.

But we've long since learned it is dangerous to focus solely on winning an election by popularity at this point. Elections are won on addition and subtraction and electoral formulas. Or I might say addition and suppression and the Electoral College.

Just to clarify - not saying anything nefarious is (maybe here I more correctly mean "needs to be") going on, just that the Biden camp cannot assume all the chickens are theirs. They need to stay focused and keep the pressure on.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-14-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    Jijiji

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Jijiji
    My wife had to translate.
    But I pushed the like thumbs up.
    Thanks

and my thanks may go to Horscat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No habla espanol. Traducir, por favor.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

English laughter = hehehe

Spanish laughter = jijiji

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    English laughter = hehehe

Spanish laughter = jijiji
    Not to be confused with the often used jajaja, joven jefe.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Jijiji
    Around here it's jajajaja. The "no mas naranja" part made me literally jajajaja out loud.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jajaja seems to be much more common, never encountered jijiji since I started living in spain. My girlfriend is mexican and we have a few friends from other south american countries (Columbia, Venezuela, Argentina) and they all seems to write it jajaja on whatsapp.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Mexico chingar is annoying someone (but in a very vulgar way). I would translate chinga tu maga a bit like fuck your MAGA.

No mas naranja = no more orange

I don't think I have to translate pendejo.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 10-16-2020 at 08:20 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s