User Tag List

Thread: TIG torches, tungsten, cups, collets, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TIG torches, tungsten, cups, collets, etc.

I recently received a Lincoln Precision TIG 185 from my father as well as a bunch of consumables. The torch that came with it is in pretty good shape, but the gas line is bad. All of the consumables are in pretty bad shape and I'll need to get more of everything. The problem is that I don't know what I need or what is good or not. I have no idea what type of rod should be used for tubing either.

This is where I ask for some help from the TIG Gods in this forum. Do you all have any recommendations for torches, consumables, filler rod, etc that you could pass along? I'm really excited to get practicing, but need some gear before I can play around with it.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
    Brandon Poser
    BAHL Cycle Works
    brandon@bahlcycle.com
    www.bahlcycle.com
    Instagram: @bahlcycle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TIG torches, tungsten, cups, collets, etc.

Brandon,

I'm sorry this question has gone unanswered for a bit here in "the path", but will try to give you some guidance.

The precision tig 185 is a great starter machine and will handle all bicycle fabrication duties with ease. With both DC and AC capabilities, it really broadens your material options. The primary question you have to look at is what package your machine came with for torch cooling; air only or water cooled. Though the rated output of your machine is easily handled by air only torches, the addition of a water cooler and torch has many positive attributes; smaller torch size for better close/cramped weld area, longer on duty run times, and greater life expectancy. Knowing how your machine is equipped will determine your needed equipment moving forward, as air and water torches use different sized collets, collet bodies, and cups.

What I can tell you is that the most common sizes of hardware used in bicycle fabrication are 1/16" and 3/32". These sizes will allow you to run majority of your available amperage with pinpoint precision.

Do get collet bodies with a built in gas lens...a screen that helps to diffuse the argon, providing greater coverage. The most common size I use on my WP20 (water cooled torch) is a 45V44 3/32" gas lens with a #7 cup...this accommodates most applications over a broad range. I do have a dizzying array of other sizes that I have found work best for me for other applications.

Numerous types of tungsten are available and you will find ardent advocates for each. I honestly have not found that much difference in performance and after a brief curiosity period, have returned to my old comfortable standby, 2% thoriated.

Your filler will be determined by the substrate material. What type of tubing will you be working with?

As for your ailing torch, if you choose to replace it, two great options are Weldtec and CK worldwide. I really like the Weldtec Speedway and have one sitting in box waiting for my current torch to die. Lightweight, nice size, abrasion resistant cover, and you can run it all day without getting warm.

There is so much that could be covered, if you have follow up questions, please ask.

Rody
    Rody Walter
    Groovy Cycleworks...Custom frames with a dash of Funk!
    Website - www.groovycycleworks.com
    Blog - www.groovycycleworks.blogspot.com
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Groov...s/227115749408

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an air cooled alternative to Rody's suggestion, I like the WeldTec WTS-9 stubby torch (they make a water cooled version too, which I also have). Everyone has a different way to hold the torch. Mine is to pretty much hold the cup and the stubby torch, combined with a superflex hose is a REALLY comfortable combination. It takes a lot of the weight of the hose off of your fingers.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brandon,
    If I were go back in time and give myself a "class list" for TIG 101 it would include the following:

130amp CK Torch: CK-1312HSF FX
    CK Lens Collet Body: CK-2GL332 (3/32")
    Collet: CK-2C332 (3/32")
    #8 Cup: CK-2AG8
    CK Layzr Tungsten: CK-T3327GTM
    Filler: ER70s-2 for mild steel/4130 (3/32 and 1/16")
    Tillman TIG gloves
    El-cheapo kevlar gloves from Amazon (as liners in your gloves because you'll forget that things are hot)
    Jackson 34068 welding helmet
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Rody;1068162]

The primary question you have to look at is what package your machine came with for torch cooling; air only or water cooled.

What type of tubing will you be working with?

[QUOTE]

Rody,
    Thanks for all of the great info. Much appreciated. To answer your questions, my father also gave me a water cooler as well. So I'm good there. He did suggest a new torch for it as well, so eventually I'll grab one.

As far as tubing, I'll be welding with steel at first and then I'd like to work with stainless also. Who knows, maybe even Ti some day......a long ways out.
    Brandon Poser
    BAHL Cycle Works
    brandon@bahlcycle.com
    www.bahlcycle.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    As an air cooled alternative to Rody's suggestion, I like the WeldTec WTS-9 stubby torch (they make a water cooled version too, which I also have). Everyone has a different way to hold the torch. Mine is to pretty much hold the cup and the stubby torch, combined with a superflex hose is a REALLY comfortable combination. It takes a lot of the weight of the hose off of your fingers.
    Thank you Sean! I've actually been chatting with Andrew at BFS and he speaks highly of the WeldTec WTS-9 and it certainly looks intriguing due to its size. I believe it is on my short list of torches at the moment.
    Brandon Poser
    BAHL Cycle Works
    brandon@bahlcycle.com
    www.bahlcycle.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Brandon,
    If I were go back in time and give myself a "class list" for TIG 101 it would include the following:

130amp CK Torch: CK-1312HSF FX
    CK Lens Collet Body: CK-2GL332 (3/32")
    Collet: CK-2C332 (3/32")
    #8 Cup: CK-2AG8
    CK Layzr Tungsten: CK-T3327GTM
    Filler: ER70s-2 for mild steel/4130 (3/32 and 1/16")
    Tillman TIG gloves
    El-cheapo kevlar gloves from Amazon (as liners in your gloves because you'll forget that things are hot)
    Jackson 34068 welding helmet
    Tom,

Thanks so much for the list. I'll check this all out for sure. Is that torch a flex head? I would think that a flex head would be the way to go.
    Brandon Poser
    BAHL Cycle Works
    brandon@bahlcycle.com
    www.bahlcycle.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, I don't have a flex head. I think I've only tried one once too -- really early on. If I were welding more I'd probably make use of one though.
    Maybe I should buy one for S+Gs.
    -T-
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoser View Post
    Tom,

Thanks so much for the list. I'll check this all out for sure. Is that torch a flex head? I would think that a flex head would be the way to go.
    Just keep in mind that a "flex" head is often just annealed copper in the handle. You can flex it, but don't make a habit out of it or it will definitely fail on you eventually. I had some current leakage through the silicone when mine broke and I was getting zapped occasionally before I figured out what the problem was.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    Just keep in mind that a "flex" head is often just annealed copper in the handle. You can flex it, but don't make a habit out of it or it will definitely fail on you eventually. I had some current leakage through the silicone when mine broke and I was getting zapped occasionally before I figured out what the problem was.
    Awesome! Good to know, thanks Sean.
    Brandon Poser
    BAHL Cycle Works
    brandon@bahlcycle.com
    www.bahlcycle.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, stay away from "flex head" torches; limited service life and are a bugger to diagnose when your bomber titanium shielding suddenly goes all wonky.

Brandon, when you have more focused questions, please direct them here and the group will ensure you are headed down the right path.

Rody
    Rody Walter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rody View Post
    I agree, stay away from "flex head" torches; limited service life and are a bugger to diagnose when your bomber titanium shielding suddenly goes all wonky.

Brandon, when you have more focused questions, please direct them here and the group will ensure you are headed down the right path.

Rody
    Thanks Rody. I'm getting my list put together and should have everything before too long. Then the fun can really begin.
    Brandon Poser
    BAHL Cycle Works
    brandon@bahlcycle.com
    www.bahlcycle.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Folks,

It's time for me to grab a water cooler + torch. I've been using a CK130 with minimal issues since the get go. The CK20-12SF FX looks like it might be a great option but I'm curious if there is anything else I should be looking at.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Superbedankt!!
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used a few starting with the Weldcraft WP-20 which didn't really give me anything to complain about. For no reason, I bought a CK-20 and while it was noticeably cooler and great for some big work I was doing at the time, the handle is small in diameter, very long and wasn't a great fit for my normal way of holding the cup. All the weight of the hoses hangs way off the end of the handle. I actually cut off the fittings and brazed some barbs to them to shorten the handle significantly, which was a huge improvement. Currently I'm using a WeldTec Stubby in their respective forms for both my water cooled torch and my air cooled. It's got a big handle, and the shortest possible fittings. If you hold by the handle and not the cup it might not be idea because the sleeve handle is flexible and may not give you the best accuracy, but if you hold the cup, that sleeve is basically just insulating you from the copper inside while acting like a strain relief for the hoses. No need for it to be stiff IMO. It's great.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Sean...I'm a cup holder. Can't stand having a long handle and hoses leveraging away at me all day. I have a WP-20 torch that I took apart, cut the handle to half length, and put back together. So much better.

Rarely do off the shelf components satisfy long term, don't be afraid to purchase a tool as a "starting point" with a vision for how it can be adapted for your specific needs.

Best wishes,

Rody
    Rody Walter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Sean + Rody,

Interesting. I cut 30-40mm off the CK torch handle I had and found it helped with a few things. Happy to know I'm in good company.
    I tend to grip the neck of my torch like a pencil but it might be worth buying a larger cup and holding it that way.

I'll see if anyone close by has a WP or WeldTec.

Thanks for the recommendations!
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst