User Tag List

Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    That’s pretty funny.
    Can we get an attribution?
    Sorry! Barry Blitt in the current New Yorker...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Amunrud View Post
    Transgender health protections reversed by Trump administration | MPR News

Then scary stuff like this slips through the cracks. This administration needs to go...
    Disgusting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

---
    i had nightmares about this kinda' shit when i was a kid...
    reality is for real...
    ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then scary stuff like this slips through the cracks. This administration needs to go...
    This vile, evil administration. Someday there will be a reckoning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is the fuel that keeps the shitshow going.

The Trump Administration Is Reversing 100 Environmental Rules. Here’s the Full List. - The New York Times

There are people among us who are willing to turn a blind eye to all the rest as long as this is put on the table.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 06-12-2020 at 11:53 PM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A hard rain’s, a gonna fall.

I foresee a first 100 days of the next administers being extremely busy. I fucking hope it all is undone on day 1.

Day two is the release of income tax information.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    This is the fuel that keeps the shitshow going.

The Trump Administration Is Reversing 100 Environmental Rules. Here’s the Full List. - The New York Times

There are people among us who are willing to turn a blind eye to all the rest as long as this is put on the table.
    this is as bad as anything this admin does. such short sightedness, so damn stupid. something about biting the hand which feeds us
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    this is as bad as anything this admin does. such short sightedness, so damn stupid. something about biting the hand which feeds us
    They will only get one chance to burn it all down... The daily distraction has been giving good cover to these shitty actions...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what is so cynical about it. "Hey, while they're arguing over reform versus abolish let's do this while their attention is occupied."

For what? Who's making more money with these changes? Follow that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    A hard rain’s, a gonna fall.

I foresee a first 100 days of the next administers being extremely busy. I fucking hope it all is undone on day 1.

Day two is the release of income tax information.
    Actually I hope day 2 is when the sealed indictments sitting in SDNY hands are delivered to DJT, his children and many others in the crime syndicate.
    My real name is Hemanth and among other things, I like bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    Actually I hope day 2 is when the sealed indictments sitting in SDNY hands are delivered to DJT, his children and many others in the crime syndicate.
    Better yet. When the next President takes the oath, he or she interrupts the ceremony the moment they are sworn in, directs the secret service to remove Trump from the stage where upon he will be served with the papers and leave the ceremony not in the Presidential helicopter, but for mug shots and finger prints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone other than Trump has to win the election first. Plus plenty of others doing the actual brick and mortar wall building and not just flipping the regulatory switches back and forth.

The Rising Trump Lawyer Battling to Reshape the Electorate - The New York Times
    Last edited by j44ke; 06-15-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NY Times did an amazing piece on the most recent killing in Atlanta. It was heartbreaking, as the footage is very close up. There were so many ways that could have gone well. The police could have taken his keys and let him walk to his daughters...like he asked. They could have walked with him to his daughters. They could have driven him to his daughters...

I kept asking them to be cool...like so many officers have been with me in my past. There are dozens of times I could have had an interaction with the police escalate, but it never did. I was no more respectful than the guy in Atlanta...just White. He was terrified in the end. So damned tragic.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the eyes of the world upon them, knowing they're wearing body cameras and everyone has a device that can record and broadcast video, and in week three of protesting the violence perpetrated by police against the black community, these two jabronis murder a man in a Wendy's parking lot.

Jesus Christ cops are stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Jesus Christ cops are stupid.
    This distancing from Police and Policing, much like the "few bad apples" theory, denies the basic truth that the police are a reflection of us and our values: Stated or not.

The police do what they were designed and intended to do. Cops aren't made in a laboratory. They go to your high schools, serve in the military and absorb the same "american values" and biases that the we all walk around with. Replacing every uniformed cop in america won't fix the problem. America needs to face up to some ugly truths before there can be any hope of change. Banning choke-holds and re-naming streets in DC is just the usual window dressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read the Times article, and recalled what the cops in the Central Park precinct told me I could legally do the next time someone tried to stab me: defend myself. What I could not do was go after the other person when they stopped and retreated. Under no circumstance could I retaliate, chase them, attack them if they ran.

This was 1984 maybe. The cops knew the rules.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I read the Times article, and recalled what the cops in the Central Park precinct told me I could legally do the next time someone tried to stab me: defend myself. What I could not do was go after the other person when they stopped and retreated. Under no circumstance could I retaliate, chase them, attack them if they ran.

This was 1984 maybe. The cops knew the rules.
    The Obligation to Retreat, as you've described, does not apply to police officers in any State.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by al415 View Post
    This distancing from Police and Policing, much like the "few bad apples" theory, denies the basic truth that the police are a reflection of us and our values: Stated or not.

The police do what they were designed and intended to do. Cops aren't made in a laboratory. They go to your high schools, serve in the military and absorb the same "american values" and biases that the we all walk around with. Replacing every uniformed cop in america won't fix the problem. America needs to face up to some ugly truths before there can be any hope of change. Banning choke-holds and re-naming streets in DC is just the usual window dressing.
    In a macro sense, I agree that policing is symptomatic of society's condition.

But I'll add that I think a lot of what's at work in these policing situations is two divergent Americas coming into contact. We have diverse, progressive urban areas being policed by forces - especially in Minneapolis - that are not very diverse or progressive, that don't live in the urban core, and that largely didn't grow up in the urban core. The cultures of those police departments have been insulated from change since the 1970s with union contracts. And so we have police forces in cities like Minneapolis that look and think more like 1970s rural and suburban America than 2020 urban America.

Instead of saying cops are reflective of American values, I'd say the policing we see is reflective of the 30-40% of America animated by reactionary values failing to come to terms with a changing world and lashing out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d say that’s a very fair observation. I work in a diverse, urban police department and even among my (theoretically) more enlightened co-workers, there are perceptions on race and society that belong in the 1950s.

With that said, among my circle of self described liberal friends / acquaintances (beyond work), I’ve heard the same stereotypes and tropes thrown about for years. From “other immigrant groups” & bootstraps to the myth of the “Irish slave” people that should know better have awfully regressive notions about race in this country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Isn't that the way college works, even at the state university model? The admissions people create the cross-section they want. I mean, not everyone can fit every place. So, criteria are established. This guy is a math prodigy. This woman will add to the theatre department. The tall cat can dunk. I won't even get into ethnic diversity, but can imagine there's an algorithm for everything.
    at the large state affiliated university I went to the method to increase the diversity of the student body was through recruitment. ethnicity wasn't something that was part of the consideration for acceptance. they really only cared about GPA, test scores, and class rank. there might be some secondary concerns like "can this guy play left tackle?" or "do we have enough horn players for the marching band?" but it mostly just came down to 3 numbers for 99.9% of students.

as it turns out, if you do a lot of outreach and recruitment to majority minority communities you get more applications from those communities and a diverse student population is going to be the end result.