User Tag List

Page 49 of 75 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

That's one way to make sure your H-D gets there and back without a trailer ride ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did some work on my 2007 BMW Xmoto this winter. Head bearings, new rear suspension and handlebars. Looking forward to getting it out once the roads are clear of winter sand.

Xmoto.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see the moto corps in the Giro are all on the twin-front wheeled Kawasaki bikes. These are the ones with twin front everything, not just dual wheels. My first thought was that whoever gets run over by one of those is going to be truly messed up, though I know they are being marketed as being better suited for congested environments.
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-12-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you referring to the 3 wheeled Yamaha Niken?
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    Are you referring to the 3 wheeled Yamaha Niken?
    Oh right - yeah that's it. I saw the tuning fork insignia and thought Kawasaki but of course that's Yamaha.

Here's the details on their deal with cycling.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The circle of life...I was riding a R100 before getting married. Sold that and got into old cars. Quit that and I'm back to bikes!
    This just happened and in a most awesome way. I'd been looking for a more recent MY BMW GS when I heard about a tall skinny local rider who a pal knew was selling. Bottomline: 2012 GSA ADV Triple Black. The gentleman was close to my height so I literally bought the cloths off his back. His custom one piece suit was a perfect fit.

It has been twenty yrs. since I threw a leg over a moto. Starting slowly, it's coming back. It shifts like a farm tractor and sounds like my old R100. Once you get addicted to aircooled BMW sounds you just want to hear more of it.

Straight away I'm hot to retrace some of our old 400 and 600K routes from home.

m1.jpgm2.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 06-03-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on getting that amazing moto and getting back into it.

Now go take this course - Basic RiderCourse Returning Rider - so you can re-train those muscles. Better to test/train those emergency/panic skills on a closed course than the open road.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    The circle of life...I was riding a R100 before getting married. Sold that and got into old cars. Quit that and I'm back to bikes!
    This just happened and in a most awesome way. I'd been looking for a more recent MY BMW GS when I heard about a tall skinny local rider who a pal knew was selling. Bottomline: 2012 GSA ADV Triple Black. The gentleman was close to my height so I literally bought the cloths off his back. His custom one piece suit was a perfect fit.

It has been twenty yrs. since I threw a leg over a moto. Starting slowly, it's coming back. It shifts like a farm tractor and sounds like my old R100. Once you get addicted to aircooled BMW sounds you just want to hear more of it.

Straight away I'm hot to retrace some of our old 400 and 600K routes from home.

m1.jpgm2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good suggestion. To this day I use and recall all the fantastic training I got from the Maryland Motorcycle Safety Course.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 06-04-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice moto. Training is always a good idea. It's been 20 years since I was an msf instructor and I know a lot has changed in that time. Check out all your options. MSF isn't the only game in town. They used to be the go to company for states to use as a licensing, testing and training program. They lost a lot of state contracts to a company called Total Control.
    FWIW, I think the best training you can get will be from your new riding buddy. If you don't have a copy of his book I'll let you borrow mine. If I ever start riding motorcycles again, like I did years ago, my money will be spent with him for rider training.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    Nice moto. Training is always a good idea. It's been 20 years since I was an msf instructor and I know a lot has changed in that time. Check out all your options. MSF isn't the only game in town. They used to be the go to company for states to use as a licensing, testing and training program. They lost a lot of state contracts to a company called Total Control.
    FWIW, I think the best training you can get will be from your new riding buddy. If you don't have a copy of his book I'll let you borrow mine. If I ever start riding motorcycles again, like I did years ago, my money will be spent with him for rider training.
    I think the change had a great deal to do with politics.

With any class/company, it is always a good idea to test the limits of your skills and "new to you" moto in a controlled environment (parking lot class) before going out into an uncontrolled environment (public roads).

I disagree with you about the best training will be from a fellow rider/buddy. Most companies will tell you that other riders, many of who have never been to a proper training class or not taken one in many years, will only teach you bad habits that you do not want to know (there is research that proves that fact). Take a class and control your own riding destiny.

Description of the "Returning Rider" class:
    This program combines elements of the BRC and BRC2, and includes knowledge and skill tests. It is designed for riders who already possess basic skill but have not ridden for several years. Even if you were a good rider back in the day, traffic patterns have changed and motorcycles have evolved. For example, technology has bestowed better handling, less weight, and more power within each engine displacement category.

Enjoy the heck out of that thing TT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be a little more clear, Too Tall's new moto riding friend is a mutual acquaintance and is a well known personal motorcycle training coach. He has his own coaching business and has written a book on motorcycle training / riding. I agree that the average Joe is not the best place to learn from, but I was not suggesting that. Anyhow, it's a cool moto.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL the gent Dan mentions we met via camping first than I noted he had two really nice motos...nothing more said. I did look up his business after he mentioned it a couple times. Google-stalking is not something I easily succumb.

Everything is about people, be nice. Mind your manners and use your turn signals ;)

Taking the moto grocery shopping today. Let's see how well those giant bags manage the load.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 06-04-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a ritual before I climb on my motorbike, and think, just for few seconds, hold on, this is a serious business, make sure you concentrate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to make a wild and completely uninformed assumption that at least the previous owner didn't drive drunk.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slwrnu View Post
    I have a ritual before I climb on my motorbike, and think, just for few seconds, hold on, this is a serious business, make sure you concentrate.
    I have two stickers on the back of my helmet memorializing riders I knew. It reminds me every time I slip it on.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wish i had more time to ride. in a previous life i used to have a nice commute up the Palisades Parkway every morning, which was a great way to start a day on two wheels and wind in the face, but these days, i have no commute, and it seems anytime i need to go anywhere that's a nice drive i have to take people or gear. sadly, i havent even been out on the moto yet this season. Maybe next week!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    I'm going to make a wild and completely uninformed assumption that at least the previous owner didn't drive drunk.

Mike
    Right on. I looked him in the eye, shook hands and said a nice word. Huge respect. He is 30 yrs. sober and giving back in a big way. Good people.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 06-04-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well DT that is a touching message. I find London is a much safer place to ride a motorbike or big scooter than the countryside. It is bonkers busy. But you simply must ride IN the traffic so everyone can see you. This takes a bit of b&lls if you are learning or returning, but is is so much safer. As long as you are not reckless, 99% of the traffic will give you some room and respect. This is why I dislike the underpowered scooters many young people now use, they ride them like a pushbike and cannot accelerate out of a dangerous situation. But beware White Van Man, who is angry, frustrated and late. It is all a dangerous business, and my Dr friends, with a macabre sense of humour, call motorbikers "donors".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took the MSF course to get my license in December after riding without for about 5 months. It was great, and I practice the skills often. I learned stuff I never would have thought about with respect to road strategy.
    There is a Total Control intermediate course down by Austin, so this fall I'm going to take it. I'm also planning a few track days at my local race track because they have a noob class.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been doing my old drills. My old nemesis is a sharp right turn from standing, it still is.