Thread: Jeans:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jeans:

And then there is this:

Jeans heavy enough (32oz/yd) that they stand up on their own. Cuz, why not? :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get it yet there they are, Levi 501 shrink to fit jeans that will kick all these $200 "heavy weight" jeans to the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    And then there is this:

Jeans heavy enough (32oz/yd) that they stand up on their own. Cuz, why not? :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I get it yet there they are, Levi 501 shrink to fit jeans that will kick all these $200 "heavy weight" jeans to the curb.
    Maybe in function/frugality. But this is VSalon - where craftsmanship and detail are currency.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    Maybe in function/frugality. But this is VSalon - where craftsmanship and detail are currency.
    Rodger that. I watched the Naked and Famous pitch. That's a good pitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, you can get comparable from Levi's, but they are still $160.

Quote Originally Posted by epicmoss
    Cuz, why not?
    Because they will tear your skin up if you wear them for more than a little bit at a time? I have a denim motorcycle jacket (Iron Heart) that is 22oz and it will still rub my skin raw where the creases are at the joints. The backs of your knees will be bleeding before too long trying to wear-in 32oz denim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Yep, you can get comparable from Levi's, but they are still $160.

Because they will tear your skin up if you wear them for more than a little bit at a time? I have a denim motorcycle jacket (Iron Heart) that is 22oz and it will still rub my skin raw where the creases are at the joints. The backs of your knees will be bleeding before too long trying to wear-in 32oz denim.
    Say what? I buy them all day from Western wear suppliers for something like $60. Excuse me, $59 >> Levi's ® 501 Jeans - Original Shrink-to-Fit - 38" & 40" Tall Inseams - Sheplers

Don't get me wrong. I wear some fine @ss high touch fancy jeans when I play dress up but I freakin' lived in 501 shrink to fit for most of my life. When they are new'ish they are positively stiff and look amazing, great for dress down/dress up affairs. After about 20 washings, yeah I wash my clothing, they rotate into the daily wear pile.

This is what tweaks me about the designers who tout super heavy weight jeans. They are re-making the 501 shrink to fit model and selling it to you as if it is some rare and hard to find item.

I'll leave the rest alone, those fine @ss jeans I've got from Ori and Imogene + Willie are amazing. Those are not what I'm grumpy about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't been able to wear 501's since college. Apparently my thighs are too big...
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toots, I don't want to make too many assumptions about your age, but you probably recall a time when visitors from abroad would stuff extra pairs of 501s in their suitcases to bring back from the states. The raw 501 was the gold standard for denim in both style and structure, and was very expensive overseas. People sometimes say they don't make them like they used to, but they're wrong. They make them like that and it costs $160. Now the $50 options are not the same as the og product, but whether or not union labor weaving southern cotton on a narrow loom in the carolinas matters is another debate for another time and thread. But even in their own words, around the turn of the century Levi Strauss changed from a jeans maker to a jeans marketer.

However it's not like my $250 trousers are bringing anything important back. The factory mentioned in that article is 4 blocks from my house and is now a Quaker school that the technocracy can spend their riches to teach their children the morals they never learned. The manufacturing jobs in the mission with good wages, benefits, and often union protection have been entirely replaced by service industry gigs with no future, and it doesn't matter how many trousers Self Edge sells (notably on the same street as the old factory), manufacturing is never coming back here. Probably not anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember getting 501's for $20 in the early 80's. Have they kept pace with the cost of living?
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    I remember getting 501's for $20 in the early 80's. Have they kept pace with the cost of living?
    It depends. Inflation calculation is fraught with issues because you have to figure out what indicators you are following. Most calculations will put $20 in 1980 at $60 today. Manufactured good have typically been a bit steeper (i.e the median car price in 1980 was $7200, today it's 33k, but by the inflation index used above it should be 21k).

If you have a pair of 501s from 1980 in good shape, they are now probably worth about what new selvage denim costs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bespoke jeans maker in France attempting to revitalize the art in his town...from the BBC.

How the birthplace of denim is making jeans again - BBC News
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just so everyone is up to speed, the Levi 501s that are made to go head to head with the Japanese jeans (LVC or Levi Vintage Clothes using NC Cone Mill Denim) are not $160, they are $285.

1947 51(R) Jeans | Rigid |Levi's(R) United States (US)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody in the comment section took the time to explain what differentiates the various levels of Levi's made in the US 501 jeans...looks like $60-70 for this versions.

Made In the USA 51(R) Original Fit Selvedge Jeans | Bernstean |Levi'''s(R) United States (US)
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$60 for raw selvedge is pretty damn good, even if you do have to factor in $25 or so to taper those gigantic 16" leg openings!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prison Blue Jeans. These are the real deal. I've lived in Levi 501 button fly jeans since forever. Those are the original "stand up" jeans because the fabric is so heavy.

Meet the new and better stand up jeans from Prison Blue. I go the double knee work jeans and ordered them true to size because they claim very little shrinkage in the waist and minimal in length. Both statements are true.

They start off stiff as a board, after 4 washings and useage they have settled down to what I believe are my new favorite jeans. The double front sure is nice in cold windy weather.

Based on fit and quality I have a set of the standard "rinsed" jeans inbound.

Enjoy

Work Jeans & Denim Apparel - Men's Clothes Made in USA | Prison Blues

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are way over the top compared to me.

Once a year, me and my brother-in-law and maybe the son-on-law or the new grandson-in-law, head up to the Pants Barn. They have every style of Levis, Lee, Wrangler, Carhartt, etc. known to man. And in every size, too. Plus, they carry the latest styles in western wear shirts and Carhartt t-shirts. I can't forget to mention they also carry coveralls and my favorite, Liberty overalls.

I always get at least a pair of 505 Levis, unwashed of course. I can spot my one year, two year, three year, and beyond jeans in the closet by their degree of fade.

And now, Carhartt has khaki work pants. They are similar to cargo pants but instead of the hammer loop they now have a cell phone pocket on the right ham.

Life could not get any better than this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping this back to the top

Suggestions for decent quality selvedge jeans?

I've been basically wearing Uniqlo for the last decade, with the last pair bought ~2016. As I used to commute quite a bit on my bike, the upper inseams on those three pairs all eventually wore out. The back pockets on those three didn't fare much better. Maybe that is the quality to be expected from Uniqlo. I just don't know. Of the current two pairs, one has pockets with numerous holes, and the "cuffs" at the bottom also has worn out (and developed holes). The other one is faring a bit better, but only because I don't wear it as often.

If jeans at ~triple the price will all eventually have similar fates, I think i'd rather just buy from the devil I know. But I'd like to know if there may be good alternatives.

I think someone mentioned owning selvedge jeans from Swrve? How are those? Unfortunately, I don't think Swrve is making any selvedge jeans in the near future.

Any companies that may be worth my time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thicker denim might last a little longer, but even the best stuff isn't going to last longer by multiples reflecting the price increases. Good for you for getting the life out of the pants you did - if you liked the fit, I'd stick with them.

If you're looking for something a little more local, with different denim options and not breaking the bank, I have a pair from Dearborn Denim that I really like. The crotch just gave out on them for me a little sooner than expected (3+ years), but I might have worn them every day for 10 months. WFH or not, I will not suffer the indignity of sweat pants
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was about to say Dearborn Denim. The only problem I have is that the black dye stinks, literally. So if you want black jeans look elsewhere. My original pair is a model that is no longer in production but I'm really happy with them. I bought the black pair and a pair of khakis as work pants a couple months ago. While not exactly cheap I think they are well priced for something made in my backyard and way better than my costco jeans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Bumping this back to the top

Suggestions for decent quality selvedge jeans?

If jeans at ~triple the price will all eventually have similar fates, I think i'd rather just buy from the devil I know. But I'd like to know if there may be good alternatives.

Any companies that may be worth my time?
    I will always suggest Iron Heart for quality denim, they now offer a variety of weights. They will eventually blow out like less expensive jeans, but look and feel better doing it until they fail. I have a pair that is 10 years old as well as newer pairs different cuts and weights.