User Tag List

Page 151 of 174 FirstFirst ... 141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 3464

Thread: Timepieces

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

from the it ain’t braggin’ if you can do it folder.

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-c...ch-1234630541/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9th anniversary was a few weeks ago. Wifey and I tend to google what the typical symbol is for a given year and go with that. Leather was the modern 9th anniversary. As such, and as a total shock to me, she got me a Hamilton (also what I was wearing when we met). Quite a simple piece, 80hr power reserve, and as of right now, it's gained 20sec since I first put it on 19 days ago. Quite impressive. I love it. 42mm case, pretty slim...10mm-ish, 10 bar WR. It's already been with me to some races, survived some bike washes, some car washes. The leather nato was new veg tanned and is indicative of how much I've worn the watch. (etsy link for strap) (the strap it came on is a rather nice, hefty, caramel color strap).

-Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lovely simple watch. that red tipped second hand is a nice touch. enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Torneau acquired by Bucherer eh? I didnt see that one coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GMW-B5000 is the best G Shock square IMO. I don't wear it all that often, but it always gets the call on more adventurous days.

Trout fishing last weekend. 4.5 miles of a little creek covered (which includes wading, climbing over boulders, etc) in 5hrs with my two best friends since 5th grade, and we each caught a handful of rainbows. It was a great, great, great day.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I bought a new watch over the weekend. My wife is an artist and we had a booth at the Western Design Conference in Jackson Hole. Vortic Watches had the booth next to us and what they're doing is very cool. They take old pocket watches and repurpose them into wrist watches. I bought his one, it is an Illinois from 1925. I liked the weathered look plus the back is glass so you can see the amazing movement. It fits in nicely into my eccentricities as a move from engineer to historian.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool. From what I've read about pocket to wrist watch conversions you have to be a bit careful with them, the movements are not nearly as tough as modern mechanicals. So it's not the watch you want to wear while jack hammering your driveway.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Very cool. From what I've read about pocket to wrist watch conversions you have to be a bit careful with them, the movements are not nearly as tough as modern mechanicals. So it's not the watch you want to wear while jack hammering your driveway.
    Out to dinner and teaching watch. I've got a Garmin Fenix otherwise.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello there
    IMG-2221.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
    Hello there
    IMG-2221.jpg
    Hashtag love

Wish I still had mine. There’s something about those (most IWC) hands that just absolutely does it for me.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't be so sure about that, I have my grandfather's pocket watch and it was made in 1898 by the Illinois Watch Company, he took this watch to work with him everyday for many years...he was a brick mason! and the watch survived that just fine, then he gave it to my dad who also was a brick mason and he took it work for many years. Now I have the watch, the darn thing still works and it's accurate to within 15 SECONDS A MONTH!! The other odd thing is, I don't believe, according to my mom, it was never serviced, but the inside looks clean, but I think it was serviced at least once because my grandfather was working on a bridge and fell into the river below and those pocket watches were not water resistant, so I think he had it cleaned after that stunt. The only problem I have with it is the stem won't release to set the time, but as long as I wind it it runs and runs great. I seriously doubt that there would be too many 120 year old modern watches still working. I had a Tissot watch I bought in 1969, after 52 years it failed completely and was not repairable, and that watch was serviced every 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Don't be so sure about that, I have my grandfather's pocket watch and it was made in 1898 by the Illinois Watch Company, he took this watch to work with him everyday for many years...he was a brick mason! and the watch survived that just fine, then he gave it to my dad who also was a brick mason and he took it work for many years. Now I have the watch, the darn thing still works and it's accurate to within 15 SECONDS A MONTH!! The other odd thing is, I don't believe, according to my mom, it was never serviced, but the inside looks clean, but I think it was serviced at least once because my grandfather was working on a bridge and fell into the river below and those pocket watches were not water resistant, so I think he had it cleaned after that stunt. The only problem I have with it is the stem won't release to set the time, but as long as I wind it it runs and runs great. I seriously doubt that there would be too many 120 year old modern watches still working. I had a Tissot watch I bought in 1969, after 52 years it failed completely and was not repairable, and that watch was serviced every 5 years.
    Yeah, but a pocket watch isn't getting the same motion and bangs like something on your wrist. Your wrist moves WAY more than your pocket.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but a pocket watch isn't getting the same motion and bangs like something on your wrist. Your wrist moves WAY more than your pocket.
    Perhaps, but it was still being used in the construction trades, and it took a fall into a river while not being remotely water resistant, it had to get wet just working outdoors where it would rain, not sure how Gramps took care of it when that happened. The crazy thing about this watch is that it only gains 15 seconds a month, that's incredible just by itself being 120 years old, very few modern mechanical watches are that accurate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Don't be so sure about that, I have my grandfather's pocket watch and it was made in 1898 by the Illinois Watch Company...... <snip> The only problem I have with it is the stem won't release to set the time, but as long as I wind it it runs and runs great.
    I don't mean to state the obvious and maybe you already know, but I would expect a PW from that era to be a lever-set and if you aren't aware of that it would seem like the stem won't release.

https://thetruthaboutwatches.com/202...-pocket-watch/
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The company (two guys) recommend sending the watch back every 2-3 years for service. It came in a really nice box that they recommend using to ship it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    I don't mean to state the obvious and maybe you already know, but I would expect a PW from that era to be a lever-set and if you aren't aware of that it would seem like the stem won't release.

https://thetruthaboutwatches.com/202...-pocket-watch/
    Oh my GOOOOODDDD!! My dad never showed me how that thing worked, he just gave me the watch about 3 years before he died, it's just been setting in my curio, I wind it about twice a year, now it I can set the time! It is a very strange way to set the time, no wonder the darn thing is so accurate because no one wants to take the thing apart every day or week to set the time!

Thanks a lot for showing me that!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

0.jpg

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.39.21.06.001

38.5mm, dark dial, brushed bracelet, 3:00 framed date window. I had a wonderful experience at the Omega boutique but this version checks all my boxes. It's everything I want in a "one" watch. This one was listed as new old stock on eBay. They send the watch to an independent authenticator before delivery and have a 30 day return policy. A watchmaker friend of mine who works at Cartier and was an authenticator at Grand Central Watch checked it over and sized it for me. Pretty happy with this one.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the dial on that one...enjoy!
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful, love the lyre lugs...have a 300 Professional with them, its my favorite part of the watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice pick-up Chase. I was tempted recently by a 2nd hand master chronometer of theirs (cal. 8800) but didn't pull the trigger. That thing will never be out of style