User Tag List

Page 125 of 174 FirstFirst ... 115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 3464

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
    Lovely. GS is something else. You’ll stop some people in their tracks with that one.
    From 3ft plus it actually looks pretty boring and understated...which I like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    The ol' Black Bay with Smarty End Links, BandR waterproof band, which I'm officially a fan of, and an RHD deployant, which I'm also a fan of. And my thumbprint. I like this watch. It think it's going to get more wrist time than anything else. Surprisingly it has taken a little bit to get used to no date function.
    ok well i lied. i traded this for a Black Bay Blue with the in-house movement. I don't think I'm a snob, but man...having that 70hr power reserve is really, really nice. With the BBB came the Tudor fabric strap, which is quite hearty. But strangely short. In my opinion. I believe the ETA wears better, due the lighter weight and slimmer case. I'll probably order up another B&R waterproof strap for the BBB. But sure wish there was a 22/ 18mm strap that I could put the Tudor deployant on. Pretty sure I'm done now.

oh. and I sold my Apple Watch.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over the years here I've generally kept my connection to the watch business pretty quiet. Partially for security (family policy) and mostly just because there wasn't too much to share. Well, thanks to a recent article on Hodinkee, the cat's out of the bag, so to speak. And I'm also too proud of what my wife and brother-in-law have built with their new store not to share. Three generations over 70 years as a jeweler (primarily watch focused) in Miami and on January 1st they opened their new boutique. It's a beautiful store and the photos on Hodinkee don't even do it justice. If you're ever in Miami and you're into watches, which you probably are if you're reading this thread, come on by.

Retailer Spotlight: Kirk Jewelers In Miami, FL - HODINKEE

Edit to add a photo...tying it into Dustin's post above, here's the Tudor case (with some pre-owned watches in the little museum case in the back):

Last edited by Matthew Strongin; 06-13-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Photo op.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought it was strange how well you were able to call out Patek reference numbers. Now I know why. That’s pretty cool. Wish I could pull together a shop like that. Hell, wish Austin could/ would support a ship like that.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My old reliable has been feeling a little tight on the wrist lately and I had it adjusted all the way out on the clasp, so I took a chance on an aftermarket link. Its a basic 316L solid Stainless steel link from a reasonable looking eBay watch parts seller. It has one other small miss on the details, having a brushed finish on top of the link with shiny on the side of the link (circled below). You'll also notice the gentle "bluing" of the bezel. It's no tropical dial aged beauty, but it does show a little age, as do I.

None of this is a deal breaker for a 1997 14060 ND that I bought second or maybe third hand in 2010 without box or papers. Just a daily driver I can give to our oldest someday.

Rollie by shenoi, on Flickr

Rollie by shenoi, on Flickr
    My real name is Hemanth and among other things, I like bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Pasquale View Post
    Earlier this year while visiting a Rolex AD in my futile search for a non-used/gray Explorer 1, I noticed they also sold Grand Seiko. As a watch nerd I'd been paying attention to this brand out of admiration for the finishing but was never considering buying one. Especially something that wasn't in their tool watch lines as I usually gravitate towards divers, etc. Anyway, I took the opportunity to check them out and walked out the door with this...

Attachment 115681

Excuse the quality, it's really hard to photograph. I also can't seem to figure out how to rotate it correctly. I just found it mesmerizing and it has me looking at watches I wouldn't have paid much attention to previously. I switched out the bracelet for this leather one from Atelier de Griff and it is a better match IMO. Really happy with it.
    That is one amazing watch! I'd take a GS over a Rolex any day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a beautiful space...congrats to everyone involved in that and hope they can get back to work (proper) ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Pasquale View Post
    What a beautiful space...congrats to everyone involved in that and hope they can get back to work (proper) ASAP.
    Thanks! They're open for business on reduced hours now that the mall they're in has reopened. We'll see how it goes. Customers have been very respectful of the policies around masks and minimizing contact, which is great to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought it was strange how well you were able to call out Patek reference numbers. Now I know why. That’s pretty cool. Wish I could pull together a shop like that. Hell, wish Austin could/ would support a ship like that.
    I know a few off the top of my head. Some I still need to look up. It's been a while, but they'll put me to work on the floor from time to time or during an event, so I need to stay somewhat on top of the product lines. There aren't many cities that can support a shop like this...Miami has multiple entire shopping districts with luxury goods and watch brand boutiques, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Over the years here I've generally kept my connection to the watch business pretty quiet. Partially for security (family policy) and mostly just because there wasn't too much to share. Well, thanks to a recent article on Hodinkee, the cat's out of the bag, so to speak. And I'm also too proud of what my wife and brother-in-law have built with their new store not to share. Three generations over 70 years as a jeweler (primarily watch focused) in Miami and on January 1st they opened their new boutique. It's a beautiful store and the photos on Hodinkee don't even do it justice. If you're ever in Miami and you're into watches, which you probably are if you're reading this thread, come on by.

Retailer Spotlight: Kirk Jewelers In Miami, FL - HODINKEE

Edit to add a photo...tying it into Dustin's post above, here's the Tudor case (with some pre-owned watches in the little museum case in the back):

Hey now, that is very very cool!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    My old reliable has been feeling a little tight on the wrist lately and I had it adjusted all the way out on the clasp, so I took a chance on an aftermarket link. Its a basic 316L solid Stainless steel link from a reasonable looking eBay watch parts seller. It has one other small miss on the details, having a brushed finish on top of the link with shiny on the side of the link (circled below). You'll also notice the gentle "bluing" of the bezel. It's no tropical dial aged beauty, but it does show a little age, as do I.

None of this is a deal breaker for a 1997 14060 ND that I bought second or maybe third hand in 2010 without box or papers. Just a daily driver I can give to our oldest someday.
    good work. you wont even notice that in a few months of wear. just adds to the watch's story too. love seeing these ND subs get really used and not safe queens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Glad you finally go it. Looks like a keeper.
    Dewd, my head is spinning. I ordered a fancy Artem sailcloth for the 50 Atmos and they got back after a few weeks and said they won't be shipping any time soon and refunded my money; one thing led to another and I'm down the rabbithole again. I started trying on other straps with it and realized I was missing ... the Seiko Sea Urchin that left my eBay block last summer as I climbed ever so faintly up market. Not the Seiko, specifically, but a Sub style watch. I think scoping the Subs and Tudors in this thread probably egged that on. Be careful little eyes what you see.

Trying to talk some sense into myself and just live with a cool watch. But sheesh, do I pine for a sub- the Squale 1545 looks like the best Sub ape to me. The desire is like being a teenager again. I've done a better job with one road bike to rule them all than this. It must be stopped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    ...But sheesh, do I pine for a sub- the Squale 1545 looks like the best Sub ape to me. The desire is like being a teenager again. I've done a better job with one road bike to rule them all than this. It must be stopped.
    If you missed it, go several pages back and you will see the heresy that I posted; I didn't like the Sub Date. I purchased a new ceramic Submariner Date 116610LN and had it about 18 months before selling it. I realized that "everyone" had one and it never felt right on my wrist so it was not for me. Sometimes the dream does not match the reality.

I was sad I sold my original-from-new 1994 Explorer II Polar 16570 even though I did get very good money for it, so to appease myself I purchased a new 2019 Explorer II Polar 216570. It is a fantastic watch and feels like an old freind.

And I have been living N=1 (bike nirvana) for about 4 years now and very happy about it.

Keep the Squale because it is different and most people (not watch people) do not have it and do not know what it is. In the past, Sqaule was a case maker for many brands, such as Blancpain, so the brand has historical provenance. And, it is a great watch. There will always been another so enjoy what you have and do not covet thy neighbors watch (or wife).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been enjoying my cheap Citizen for a week now. Decided it is a keeper (wears so much better than the Samurai I had, for my skinny wrists anyhow) so I have a double domed sapphire crystal and a crystal press enroute. May swap out the bezel insert too, depending on how the new crystal sits relative to the insert, and the inserts thickness vs what's available aftermarket - SKX inserts are the same OD/ID, but I can't seem to verify how thickness compares, so I'll measure mine once I pop the bezel off to do the crystal swap. I can't leave anything alone.

The Oceanus I ordered was out of stock as it turned out, so I got refunded for it (and lost ~$15 thanks to changes in the conversion rate between the day I purchased vs when I was refunded), and I re-ordered it from somewhere else. DHL says it'll be here Monday.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Thanks! They're open for business on reduced hours now that the mall they're in has reopened. We'll see how it goes. Customers have been very respectful of the policies around masks and minimizing contact, which is great to see.
    does this mean you can source a blue face skydweller for me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I've been enjoying my cheap Citizen for a week now. Decided it is a keeper (wears so much better than the Samurai I had, for my skinny wrists anyhow) so I have a double domed sapphire crystal and a crystal press enroute. May swap out the bezel insert too, depending on how the new crystal sits relative to the insert, and the inserts thickness vs what's available aftermarket - SKX inserts are the same OD/ID, but I can't seem to verify how thickness compares, so I'll measure mine once I pop the bezel off to do the crystal swap. I can't leave anything alone.

The Oceanus I ordered was out of stock as it turned out, so I got refunded for it (and lost ~$15 thanks to changes in the conversion rate between the day I purchased vs when I was refunded), and I re-ordered it from somewhere else. DHL says it'll be here Monday.

That really is the workhorse Japanese diver to have these days with the end of the SKX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having fun with this seiko mod. There is a guy near me, well a kid really--grad student, but he seems pretty detail-oriented and has connections to get lots of seiko mod parts.

I like the crown at 3 option, though I think this mixture of pvd and silver would have turned out better with a brushed case vs the polished, but that's all that he had for now. Having only had a seiko diver with the old 7S26 movement since about Y2K, I have to say I'm impressed with the cheap but accurate NH35 movement. Within a couple seconds per day so far. For $450-500 all-in, these could be habit-forming.

Here's his webpage hypogean watches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    Umm, yeah, uhhh, that'll be a tough one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    Login • Instagram
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doubt it is at msrp!! They're out there but $10k over!!!